Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Peanutbutter

Guess they're blaming Netflix for the huge box office drops they've all been getting, since blaming piracy didn't work out so well.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just finished binge-watching The Punisher. The reviews on this one have been pretty lukewarm, and in general Marvel's Netflix output has been pretty disappointing this year with Iron Fist being a dud and The Defenders being underwhelming in its overall mediocrity.

That said, in all honesty I really loved The Punisher. I'm honestly a bit surprised that the reviews for it aren't better than just alright with the general consensus. It does have some issues, but it's the same issues that literally ALL of these shows have, which is mainly the pacing (they really don't have to be 13 episodes long per season). Even then, though, I rarely found myself bored with the show and the acting was on-point here whereas all of the other shows, even Daredevil, had at least a few over-the-top or outright bad performances.

And unlike Luke Cage this show didn't have a major drop-off in quality in its second half. I'd even argue that it properly built up to its climax AND delivered on it in a way that most of these shows fail to do. And props to it having a real actual ending. While it leaves the possibility open for another season, it also wraps up all of its loose-ends in a way that could also make this a strong stand-alone miniseries with a fully realized arc and resolution. None of this bull-shit set up for future seasons that are overly crammed into every other Marvel show.

This is honestly one of my favorite comic book shows. Not really sure what everybody else was watching.

Foggle

I'll have to check this one out. I skipped Iron Fist and I've been dragging on The Defenders but what you're saying piques my interest. :D I didn't think the second half of Luke Cage was particularly bad; definitely weaker than the first half, but it was still my favorite of the Marvel Netflix series so far even though I found Daredevil season 1 more consistent overall and Jessica Jones' conclusion more satisfying.

gunswordfist

The second half of Luke Cage is damn good, just not as great as the first half.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 19, 2017, 12:33:50 AM
The second half of Luke Cage is damn good, just not as great as the first half.
The main problem is that Cottonmouth was one of the most likable characters and best villains in the entire MCU while Diamondback was only marginally better than the movie villains. The stuff involving the protagonists remained just as good IMO, and I absolutely love that they made Wu-Tang Clan canonically part of the Marvel universe. :il_hahaha:

Avaitor

It still bugs me that Cottonmouth was a terrific antagonist, Shades was doing a lot of the lifting in a cool, unique manner, and Mariah was building herself up to be a worthy adversary, but the show decided to focus on a villain as mediocre as Diamondback. If the show's priorities were in better place, the show could have been a lot better.

tbh though, I've never understood the argument that the MCU's TV shows are better than their films. The movies are traditionally a lot more consistent imo.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That was just early hype from Daredevil and Jessica Jones being much better than expected. Both first seasons set a bar that none of the other shows/seasons could quite match (except for The Punisher, IMO).

They also happened to come out around the time that franchise fatigue was starting to set in for some people when it came to the MCU movies, so the new darker tone of the show was a breath of fresh air in a way that made them stand out more. Looking at it on the whole, though, the movies, while having a couple of duds in the mix, are generally a lot more consistent in quality.

Foggle

Honestly, I think Daredevil season 1, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are better than any of the MCU films I've seen except for maybe the first two Captain America films and Guardians of the Galaxy (still need to watch Vol. 2). But as a whole, are the shows better than the movies? After Iron Fist, Defenders, and especially Inhumans, I'd say definitely not.

Dr. Insomniac

Since Disney is taking all their Netflix shows and putting them on their own app, it leads to the amusing scenario of a small child playing on his iPad and accidentally clicking on The Punisher when they meant to search for Pixar films.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on November 19, 2017, 10:26:58 PM
Honestly, I think Daredevil season 1, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are better than any of the MCU films I've seen except for maybe the first two Captain America films and Guardians of the Galaxy (still need to watch Vol. 2). But as a whole, are the shows better than the movies? After Iron Fist, Defenders, and especially Inhumans, I'd say definitely not.
As someone who thinks Guardians 1 is laughably overrated, outside of having quite possibly the greatest climax ever, you gotta watch GOTG 2 dude.
I still stand by saying MCU's shows are better than their movies. I've missed Ant-Man, Ultron and haven't seen Ragnarok yet..damn, I watched more than I thought. Anyway, the tv shows only real hiccup is Iron Fist. While I don't think none of the movies are bad, there are a lot of disappointments...mostly Thor and Iron Man (even though I need to rewatch 3 without being distracted). While outside of Guardians 2 and what is my current favorite superhero movie, Winter Soldier, none of them have reached the highs I've gotten from Luke Cage, Daredevil, the first half of DD2 (probably my fav. part of any live action show) or The Defenders. Again, I need to do a lot of rewatching..which will probably mean me watching them on putlocker, but this is how I feel.

Dr. Insomniac

There are some parts of the MCU Netflix shows that the movies just can't outdo, like Wilson Fisk's arc, Jessica and Trish's relationship, the first half of Daredevil's second season, and Cottonmouth. But on the other side, the shows haven't yet accomplished that feel I got from watching Winter Soldier and Civil War.

Foggle

Yeah, the first half of DD season 2 is sooooo good. I kind of lost interest after that but the first half may be the best material the MCU has produced thus far. I will say that the Captain America films definitely have a unique and special feel to them that I don't think anything else in the MCU has captured, so I definitely agree there too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked Civil War when I first watched it, but as time has gone on I have developed a lot more issues with the movie. I still kind of enjoy it, but more so for certain scenes, characters, and aspects as opposed to the film as a whole. I also don't personally consider it to be a Captain America movie, no matter how Marvel wants to title it. If I'm to be honest, I kind of prefer Avengers: Age of Ultron, despite everyone giving that film way more shit.

The First Avenger on the other hand is an underrated tribute to golden age superhero tales and The Winter Soldier is one of my favorite comic book movies of all time, let alone the best MCU movie (IMO).

I'm also quite partial to Spider-Man: Homecoming. After re-watching it twice, I can say that it's actually a lot more well-constructed of a film than I initially realized (and I already liked it well enough on my first viewing). It also helps that Peter Parker/Spider-Man is a more naturally relatable character than most other comic book characters. I temporarily forgot about that with Sony's TASM films, but upon revisiting both this and the Raimi films, I was reminded of how compelling this character can be when done right. Also, it helps that this movie is basically a live-action take on TSSM (still my favorite super-hero related thing ever).

And yeah, The Punisher arc of Daredevil season 2 (the first four episodes in particular) is my favorite thing to come out of the entire MCU so far, period.