Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Just watched the first two episodes a bit ago of Daredevil. So far, it's fantastic! It's too early for me to spoil any of the plot, so I'll just say that the show has a great cast so far, as well as superb camera work and great fight choreography.

Quote from: GregX on April 10, 2015, 11:48:42 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on April 09, 2015, 03:54:15 PMAnd apparently, ABC is working on an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spin-off. There's no word on what this will be about, or if it'll replace Agent Carter (hell, AOS hasn't even been officially renewed), but saying that it's an AOS spin-off rather than a MCU spin-off opens possibilities up to that area.

How about we make the spin-off a reality show where a SWAT team travels the country, kicking in the doors of people who still watch this vile, repulsive, piece of shit, and put bullets in their brains.

:whuh:

That's.....harsh. I mean I dropped the show too, but I could see why some people would stick to it. Just on the wrestling board I go to, there's a number of guys there that apparently like season two has gone.

Plus, my mother watches it too, so yeah....NO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In other news, Daredevil is finally up on Netflix. I just watched the first episode, but I'll just save my throughts for when I finish the entire season over the next few days.

I will say that it's already better than that Ben Affleck crapfest, which isn't saying much in and of itself, but I still take it as a good sign.

Foggle

How about we make the spin-off a reality show where a SWAT team travels the country, kicking in the doors of people who still watch this vile, repulsive, piece of shit, and put bullets in their brains.
I'm sure you meant it in jest, but please don't make posts like this on AR. Thank you!

GregX

Quote from: Foggle on April 10, 2015, 02:10:56 PM
I'm sure you meant it in jest, but please don't make posts like this on AR. Thank you!

Fair enough, it won't happen again.

Two episodes into "Daredevil" and, how shall I put this? It's a much better show than "Special Snowflake & The SHIT Squad" and "Got Ham", but that's damning with faint praise. If I want to watch a darker superhero TV show, "Arrow" is doing it better. If I want to watch a show about a struggling lawyer in the seedy underworld, "Better Call Saul" is doing it much better. Those shows consistently leave me wanting the next episode right away, and waiting a week for the next one is frustrating. I have the option to watch the next episode of "Daredevil" right now, and the one after and the one after... and the thought just feels like a damn chore.

It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm also only 2 episodes in, myself, right now. I'm enjoying it a bit more than you are, but I definitely agree that Arrow is a better "dark superhero" show. I'd also say that Agent Carter is still by far Marvel's best live action series. That said, I certainly don't find watching the show to be a chore, though it doesn't really hook me into watching the next episode either.

Still, being only 2 episodes in, I think it's solid, personally. Speaking of Arrow again, it sort of reminds me of its first season, where the show was a ways off from hitting its stride, but still entertaining in its own right. Of course, the quality could easily go to shit, get better, or stay exactly the same as I make it through the rest of the season, so as I stated before, my final verdict will only come after completing the season.

Spark Of Spirit

I watched 5 episodes.

Excellent. One of my favorite superhero shows by far.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 10, 2015, 06:55:50 PM
I watched 5 episodes.

Glad to hear it! I've never been particularly keen on live action superhero television, but everything I've read about the Daredevil series makes it sound great to me. Going to watch some soon!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on April 10, 2015, 08:40:48 PM
I watched 5 episodes.

Glad to hear it! I've never been particularly keen on live action superhero television, but everything I've read about the Daredevil series makes it sound great to me. Going to watch some soon!

Personally I'd say that Arrow gets really good after the first season. It's just decent up to that point, though.

Foggle

I do really want to give Arrow another shot eventually. I wasn't a huge fan of what I saw, but it seems like you guys really like the later seasons.

Couldn't stand Gotham, SHIELD, Smallville, or anything else I've seen, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 10, 2015, 08:40:48 PM
I watched 5 episodes.

I think you'd really like it. Episodes 4 and 5 in particular were knockouts. Episode 2's backstory was one of my personal favorites, Jack Murdock's story was so touching, especially when the crowd starts cheering.

One of my personal favorite moments from any superhero show or movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Apparently it takes some inspiration from both The Wire and Oldboy, which is pretty much all I needed to hear. ;D

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 10, 2015, 09:09:37 PM
Apparently it takes some inspiration from both The Wire and Oldboy, which is pretty much all I needed to hear. ;D
Wilson Fisk is really good too. Of all the live action attempts, I think he makes the best villain so far. Especially when you see what he can do when someone makes him mad.

I've still got more to see, but it has hooked me. It starts out a bit slow, but I like slow, so the breathing room doesn't bother me. It also helps that the fights scenes have no shaky cam or quick cuts which make them last really long.

Foggle

That all sounds wonderful to me. :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on April 10, 2015, 09:02:34 PM
I do really want to give Arrow another shot eventually. I wasn't a huge fan of what I saw, but it seems like you guys really like the later seasons.

Couldn't stand Gotham, SHIELD, Smallville, or anything else I've seen, though.

Gotham and SHIELD are awful, so it doesn't help if you're watching the worst of the worst.

Arrow is sort of like a Whedon show, where it takes some time for the characters to really find their footing, but the writing improves by the end of the first season, and gets surprisingly excellent by season 2's second half.

I mean, don't go in expecting quality on the level of The Wire, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, etc., as its clearly not that type of show, and even as a darker superhero show, it thankfully doesn't take itself "too" seriously so it can be really fun at times. But all the same, it's currently the best in its genre as far as TV superhero shows go, IMO, which is just really refreshing for me since most other shows that I watch focus on some dark anti-hero-ish sort of protagonists and all manner of scheming, betrayal, and general unpleasantness; which are great, of course, but can be a bit too depressing in bulk. :P

Spark Of Spirit

The first season and a half of Arrow is a pretty good superhero show, but by Three Ghosts it gets great all the way through to now.

If you want something fun (with some dark moments) you might like The Flash. It's got a good sense of humor and makes a good counterpoint to Arrow.