Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

It was basically that amazing fight scene from Oldboy but with a different camera angle and no hammer. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 10:13:09 PM
Not all of it. :(

Man, I don't know how you could manage to just stop in the middle, I couldn't help but binge-watch the shit out of it into the early hours of the morning, even when I had a big presentation assignment to do the next day at the hospital that I was doing my rotation at during that time. I literally just couldn't stop watching. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

Actually the fight scenes in this show are really good in general. They frequently feature little to no camera cuts, NO shaky cam, and some cool stunts. It's like the return of old school action sequences.

If this staff is going to be behind Iron Fist, then I'm beyond excited for that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 10:06:00 PM
True Detective, then Breaking Bad, then Treme, then Game of Thrones. That's how I'm gonna do. ;)
I still really need to see Treme. And Enlightened really should be on there.

And I still really need to start on this. But right now, I'm just too busy to.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm 10 episodes in, now. Anyone who found this show to be a bit too slow in the beginning should really stick with it. Over the course of this season (so far), it has only gotten better and better. I'm really loving the supporting cast, now, and the story-line has been kept very intriguing in terms of how things play out. While I still stand by my opinion that Arrow is (currently) the best superhero show around, this one already has a superior first season, and I can see it becoming a close second by the end of it, and maybe even surpassing Arrow by its next season if Netflix decides to order one. Either that or they will just go ahead with The Defenders after a season of each of these individual shows hit streaming. Either way, I can't wait to see the return of Matt Murdock/Daredevil in the MCU, and I'm not even done with the season, yet!

Spark Of Spirit

They're currently producing Jessica Jones right now, which means it will probably play out like this:

Daredevil - 13 episodes
A.K.A. Jessica Jones - 13 episodes
Iron Fist - 13 episodes
Luke Cage - 13 episodes
Defenders - 8 episode event

For a total of 60 episodes.

What they do after that is anyone's guess, but I'm almost certain Iron Fist and Luke Cage will share a show should they move to season 2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I assume Daredevil will get a second season that introduces characters like Elektra and The Punisher into the MCU. Luke Cage & Iron Fist as a shared season 2 seems like a no-brainer to me, as well.

Speaking of which, if Fox ends up making a sequel to the Deadpool film, my money's on it being a Cable & Deadpool movie.

Spark Of Spirit

My only problem is having to wait at least two years for a season 2 of Daredevil. I really want to see more of this character and his friends and foes.

Season 2 will almost certainly include The Hand and The Chaste as well as Elektra and Bullseye, possibly the Punisher as an anti-hero ally, but I'm fine with whatever they do. As long as it's more Daredevil.

Foggle

Watched episodes 7 and 8 of Daredevil. Didn't much care for the former; it was nice seeing how Matt learned to fight, but not knowing what Black Sky was really detracted from my immersion, and Stick just kinda' came out of nowhere, giving me no reason to care about his character or organization. Episode 8, however, was the best one so far IMO. No other superhero movie or TV show I've seen has ever had such an interesting and well-developed villain as Fisk. Brilliant television.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wow, I totally disagree about episode 7, it's one of my favorites. Stick is an awesone character, and the stuff you seem to be focusing on were the least important parts of the episode. Black Sky was the Macguffin for this episode (though I still haven't finished the season yet, so maybe it'll come back), and Stick had to be introduced somewhere, so you're complaint about him coming out of nowhere doesn't really make sense since Matt's past has been presented to us in chronological order via the flash-backs, and he of course wouldn't meet Stick until after his dad's death.

The whole episode was also an excellent character-study of Matt and his stance at that point in the series. Stick points out that he'll never get anything truly accomplished until he's willing to cross a certain line. He represents the opposite side of the coin to the priest who serves as Matt's other guiding figure throughout the season, and although Matt rejects him in the episode, he hasn't truly given up the temptation to follow Stick's recommended path.

To me, it's one of the finest written, directed, and acted episodes in the series out of the 11-episodes that I've seen so far. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on that.

Foggle

When I say he "randomly shows up," I mean he just somehow walks into a parking garage not only knowing that Matt would be there but also that the guy in the mask was him. It's not a huge stretch of the imagination in a universe where characters like Hulk and Thor exist, but it still took me out of the moment, if only briefly. Also, Black Sky may be a MacGuffin, but having what I assume is a child slave pop up only to serve no purpose other than die without any explanation didn't sit right with me.

Maybe it's because I haven't read the comics, but I just thought Stick was an asshole. I get that he's basically Daredevil if Daredevil wasn't compassionate or against killing people, but I didn't particularly have an opinion on him one way or the other. The character study was interesting enough, but it didn't really make me feel anything like the scenes with Matt's dad or Fisk's family did.

I didn't actually dislike the episode though, it was still pretty good; I just wasn't as engaged in it as I was with the other 7. Glad it worked more for you.

Spark Of Spirit

The Stick episode exists to flesh Matt's past out to show where he got his training from. Otherwise it is to do two other things, one of which is spoiler-related to Nobu which is brought back many times before the end of the season and the other is to hint as to where season 2 will be going.

Whether you like any of those things is up to you, but that is why the episode is there.

Foggle

Well, as long it isn't just dropped, I'm good. If it gives more development to Nobu later on, then I rescind my complaint. The only mention of it in episode 8 was "I'm not happy! It's hard to get!" which just made me annoyed instead of intrigued.

Anyway, I'm glad the episode is there, even if I didn't quite like it as much as the others. I'm sure Stick will be important in season 2, and it was good to know where Matt's training came from. I just found myself less engaged than usual, is all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

On an off-topic note, why am I always the one defending good stuff that I like? As in: Hunter X Hunter (from g2s), Fumoffu (from CX), MVC3 (from Rynnec), Daredevil episode 7 (from you), Spider-Man 3 (from the rest of the world), and so on. Maybe it's because it's not in my nature to talk about what I dislike, but I need to play things out from the other perspective a bit more often. It seems like way more fun. :humhumhum:

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
When I say he "randomly shows up," I mean he just somehow walks into a parking garage not only knowing that Matt would be there but also that the guy in the mask was him. It's not a huge stretch of the imagination in a universe where characters like Hulk and Thor exist, but it still took me out of the moment, if only briefly. Also, Black Sky may be a MacGuffin, but having what I assume is a child slave pop up only to serve no purpose other than die without any explanation didn't sit right with me.

It's a series. Not a movie. Stuff like that can (and probably will) come back. Maybe by next season or in The Defenders if not this one. For the sake of the episode, that wasn't the focus. Stuff like this happens in television all the time, so it doesn't seem like a fair criticism to me. I mean, I didn't hear anyone complaining about the Infinity Gem in GOTG barely being utilized because it was mainly just there as a Macguffin and wouldn't be truly important until Infinity War.

QuoteMaybe it's because I haven't read the comics, but I just thought Stick was an asshole. I get that he's basically Daredevil if Daredevil wasn't compassionate or against killing people, but I didn't particularly have an opinion on him one way or the other. The character study was interesting enough, but it didn't really make me feel anything like the scenes with Matt's dad or Fisk's family did.

I haven't read the comics either, so that didn't factor into my judgement. Stick is an ass-hole, but that's an intentional aspect of his character. Do not ignore, however, that he did a lot to help Murdock and that he purposely acted the way that he did to toughen the kid up. He was the one who taught Matt to see his blindness as a gift rather than a burden, which from a character with a questionble moral alignment, was a surprisingly positive influence. He is a mentor to Matt, but stands out because he's different from the typical archetype, in that he's neither a pure good nor evil influence. And in that regard, despite being a killer, he isn't presented as a good or bad character. Just as a character.

Take for example the scene where he leaves Matt as a kid. It's very well-acted just through facial expressions alone. When Matt shows him affection for just a moment, he actually pauses briefly to consider it, and you can see hints of both doubt and also a little sentiment in his facial features. He then tells Matt that he can't be a father-figure to him, which can seem ass-holish at a glance, but consider the fact that he has a point. Whatever Stick was training him for, he knew that Matt wouldn't be up to par if emotions got in the way, so from his point of view he's sparing him from going down that path. Of course, Matt tries to pursue justice anyway, but under his own lofty ideals, and that's what the confrontation in the present is about. The point being, though, is that he's not just a darker version of Daredevil, like you suggest. He's a character, and one that I hope to see return and be further fleshed out in the future.

As for the stuff with Matt's dad, I liked it well enough, but I feel like I've seen that parent to kid relationship done better before. With Stick, I felt that he brought something new to the mentor archetype.

Foggle

Not once did I say the episode was bad. In fact, I said it was good, and I just didn't care for it as much as the others. I picked my words carefully to specify how it was my opinion that specific elements detracted from the overall experience for me, not that I thought they were outright bad. I've tried to tone down talking about things I dislike lately, and only even mentioned episode 7 because I loved episode 8 and watched them both in sequence. (Do note that making fun of notoriously bad arcade ports isn't quite the same thing, in my opinion.) I even said I was happy that the episode worked better for you than it did for me.

I didn't care about the Infinity Gem in GOTG, and the film also revealed what it was minutes after we first saw it. Child slaves are a lot more interesting, and Daredevil is much stronger from a storytelling standpoint, but I was worried that it would never be explained until The Defenders. This annoyed me greatly, as I would rather take DD as its own work rather than a lead-in to a crossover event, since it's so good so far.

Stick turning down Matt's gift was my favorite part of the episode.