Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 01, 2015, 02:07:15 AM
I really want to see Marvel invest more in this format than the movies, actually.
Same here! Serialized television lends itself far better to adaptations of stories told via the comic book format than single films do, I'd say.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Eh, we're getting both, so I don't see any problems on my end.

Whenever something new and popular comes out, it feels like the popular reaction is: "Wow, this is awesome, screw those Avengers and Guardians movies, those suck compared to this."

But I say that Marvel has it down perfectly. Leave the bigger-budget movies for stuff that's far too reliant on special effects and big actors to be done in television format, like any of the Avengers or solo Avengers films (though, Captain America could arguably work in the TV format) as well as GOTG. With the Defenders characters, Marvel wisely picked street level heroes with little to no outlandish powers or abilities who have plenty of smaller-scale and more character-driven stories to adapt that are perfect for TV.

Marvel's doing it the right way, IMO, so leave the movies the way that they've been. Either way, you're getting what you want, as we have three other solo shows coming to Netflix, a Defenders mini-series, and even a second season of Daredevil.

gunswordfist

First impressions be damned, I watched the last four episodes of Daredevil in a row today and loved it. I really want to see Marvel invest more in this format than the movies, actually.
That's not a bad idea. I pray the Iron Fist show is just as good.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

We're getting a season 2, which bodes well for the future of these series.

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 01, 2015, 11:16:36 AM
First impressions be damned, I watched the last four episodes of Daredevil in a row today and loved it. I really want to see Marvel invest more in this format than the movies, actually.
That's not a bad idea. I pray the Iron Fist show is just as good.
A certain character in this one will be in that show. Though they did push it last in line, and I'm not exactly sure why. But after Daredevil it was the one I was most interested in seeing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Guardians is still my favorite MCU thing, so it's not like I'm calling it bad? I've always preferred the TV format to films for anything that contains a lengthy story with lots of character development. And while they couldn't do all the awesome special effects in a GOTG TV show, it would still make for an amazing weekly series.

Avaitor

I think the serialized format works better for some, while other characters are stronger in film. I'd probably get bored of an Iron Man show, even with RDJ, but Daredevil really seemed to have worked better as a series.

Just keep Jeph Loebas as far away as possible.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on June 01, 2015, 01:42:22 PM
I think the serialized format works better for some, while other characters are stronger in film. I'd probably get bored of an Iron Man show, even with RDJ, but Daredevil really seemed to have worked better as a series.
Yeah, I completely agree with this.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, we ARE getting the GOTG animated series in just a few months, but given Marvel's animated show track record since they canceled AEMH, I'm not keeping my hopes up for it to be good.

As for TV vs. Movies, I'm just saying that both have their place. Some big stories work better as movies, whereas long serialized story-lines can be adapted for TV. I've even gone on record saying that I prefer AEMH for its great stories and character development to the live-action Avengers movies, so clearly I enjoy the TV side of things quite a bit.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 01, 2015, 02:26:10 PM
Well, we ARE getting the GOTG animated series in just a few months, but given Marvel's animated show track record since they canceled AEMH, I'm not keeping my hopes up for it to be good.
Man Of Action why... :cry:

QuoteAs for TV vs. Movies, I'm just saying that both have their place. Some big stories work better as movies, whereas long serialized story-lines can be adapted for TV. I've even gone on record saying that I prefer AEMH for its great stories and character development to the live-action Avengers movies, so clearly I enjoy the TV side of things quite a bit.
I also thought SSM was way better than any of the Spider-Man films! But yeah, it really does depend on what kind of story they're trying to tell.

gunswordfist

A few hours ago, Daredevil became the first live action show I've ever completed (shut up, I know it's getting another season. Let me enjoy my hollow victory). The finale was pretty good and whatshisname is now my 2nd favorite Daredevil (first favorite live action, before anyone says anything stupid.) It sucks that 3 of my 6 favorite characters died (Ben, Owlsley and Wesley). Wesley was turning into my favorite right hand man since Owen.

Spark Of Spirit

Leland has a son, by the way. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Feel free to ignore my wall of text. I would have replied sooner if I didn't hate spoilers so damn much. Also, I was thinking about Leland's son a bit. I wonder if he'll try to get Kingpin killed in prison. That would be interesting.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 10, 2015, 06:55:50 PM
I watched 5 episodes.

Excellent. One of my favorite superhero shows by far.
It's my favorite superhero show so far.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 15, 2015, 03:26:21 PM
They're currently producing Jessica Jones right now, which means it will probably play out like this:

Daredevil - 13 episodes
A.K.A. Jessica Jones - 13 episodes
Iron Fist - 13 episodes
Luke Cage - 13 episodes
Defenders - 8 episode event

For a total of 60 episodes.

What they do after that is anyone's guess, but I'm almost certain Iron Fist and Luke Cage will share a show should they move to season 2.
Ahh, sweet, 13 episodes and Iron Fist will likely cross over to Luke Cage and vice versa. I hope they give him his yellow energy and use good CG on it and not give it the Jean Grey/Magneto non-effects effects.
Quote from: Foggle on April 15, 2015, 04:10:49 PM
I assume Daredevil will get a second season that introduces characters like Elektra and The Punisher into the MCU. Luke Cage & Iron Fist Heroes For Hire as a shared season 2 seems like a no-brainer to me, as well.

Speaking of which, if Fox ends up making a sequel to the Deadpool film, my money's on it being a Cable & Deadpool movie.
:)

I love Punisher but I don't think he fits in MCU at all. I think his movie rights are tied up anyway.

I'd of course love a Cable & Deadpool movie. Isn't Deadpool still tied to the X-Men's universe though?
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2015, 09:36:34 PM
Wow, I totally disagree about episode 7, it's one of my favorites. Stick is an awesone character, and the stuff you seem to be focusing on were the least important parts of the episode. Black Sky was the Macguffin for this episode (though I still haven't finished the season yet, so maybe it'll come back), and Stick had to be introduced somewhere, so you're complaint about him coming out of nowhere doesn't really make sense since Matt's past has been presented to us in chronological order via the flash-backs, and he of course wouldn't meet Stick until after his dad's death.

The whole episode was also an excellent character-study of Matt and his stance at that point in the series. Stick points out that he'll never get anything truly accomplished until he's willing to cross a certain line. He represents the opposite side of the coin to the priest who serves as Matt's other guiding figure throughout the season, and although Matt rejects him in the episode, he hasn't truly given up the temptation to follow Stick's recommended path.

To me, it's one of the finest written, directed, and acted episodes in the series out of the 11-episodes that I've seen so far. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on that.
Pretty much all of this. I've been thinking ever since I finished the show and I got to say that episode 7 and Nelson Vs. Murdock are my favorites out of the entire series.
Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
When I say he "randomly shows up," I mean he just somehow walks into a parking garage not only knowing that Matt would be there but also that the guy in the mask was him. It's not a huge stretch of the imagination in a universe where characters like Hulk and Thor exist, but it still took me out of the moment, if only briefly. Also, Black Sky may be a MacGuffin, but having what I assume is a child slave pop up only to serve no purpose other than die without any explanation didn't sit right with me.

Maybe it's because I haven't read the comics, but I just thought Stick was an asshole. I get that he's basically Daredevil if Daredevil wasn't compassionate or against killing people, but I didn't particularly have an opinion on him one way or the other. The character study was interesting enough, but it didn't really make me feel anything like the scenes with Matt's dad or Fisk's family did.

I didn't actually dislike the episode though, it was still pretty good; I just wasn't as engaged in it as I was with the other 7. Glad it worked more for you.
He surprise threw kid Matt off of a building for training and Daredevil said he hated him in a comic a read a week or two ago. Does that answer your question? :D
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 17, 2015, 09:21:54 PM
I've already talked about why I personally love "Stick," but my overall personal favorite episode is "Nelson v. Murdock," as I'm all about characters over action, and that was a great character piece, IMO. I love that Foggy didn't just become the "comic relief side character" that lesser writers would have made him. You really get a sense that him and Matt are genuinely great friends, and seeing their trust tested like that really came through in their emotional responses via terrific acting.

Also, the costume design for Daredevil's suit us excellent. One of the best I've seen in the medium, film, TV, or otherwise. It's just a shame that we only got to see it in the finale, so I can't wait for Daredevil's return in The Defenders.
:shakeshakeshake: :swoon: :swoon: You love Nelson V. Murdock as much as I do.

Also, I have no clue what The Defenders is.
Quote from: Avaitor on April 18, 2015, 06:45:49 PM
I finally got around to watching the first 2 Daredevil episodes. It's pretty good so far, even if it's not perfect.

Charlie Cox so far is a fine Daredevil. He has a good balance between  charismatic and dedicated that fits the character, and most of his delivery is solid, the Bale-esq line aside. I also like Karen, who's a strong female in the MCU sense, in that she's smart, able, and deserves her own time to shine away from the boys. But I was a little annoyed with Foggy in the first episode, but he won me over a little in the next since he's given something to do as the relief, instead of being it just because.

Besides that, the direction is pretty solid throughout, with some great fight scenes and sharp composition. This helps the merely above-average writing, but I can already tell that there is more to look forward to as it goes along. Consider me sold.
Yeah, Foggy was getting on my nerves at first. The fact that he's probably my favorite normal human (i.e. not a badass or deranged or a hero or anything) in comic books right now made it that much worse. I still prefer the Mark Waid version but he's in a good 2nd place ever since Nelson v. Murdock and hasn't had a misstep since. :)
Quote from: Foggle on April 19, 2015, 09:25:03 PM
I love the first two Blade films. They're not high quality entertainment by any means, but they're ridiculously awesome if all you're expecting are badass popcorn flicks.

Fant Fourstic looks terrible, I agree. That Deadpool movie is buying them a lot of credibility with me, though... I've read some of the leaked script, which they seem to be mostly adhering to, and all I can say is that it's going to be the most accurate version of the character ever seen outside the comics. I mean, I loved the Deadpool game and his appearances in stuff like Hulk Vs., but they aren't exactly good representations of him or his story.
I loved his role in Hulk Vs., I like him in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 were he's a giant troll, played as him a bit in X-Men Legends 2 but can't say much about that and I still stand by him being the funniest boss ever in Shattered Dimensions. But of course the world still needs much more Deadpool.
Quote from: Foggle on April 29, 2015, 07:51:28 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 29, 2015, 06:59:20 PM
clumsy fight at the end.
:wth:
I still stand by this. ;D
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2015, 11:49:29 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 30, 2015, 01:38:16 AM
Ah, Fisk and Ben Urich in one episode. Beautiful. :'(
If it's the one I'm thinking of, that was a pretty powerful episode.

The more I think about this show the more I want to re-watch it.
Wihch one did you think it was?
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 22, 2015, 07:08:36 PM

I know that I'm in the minority on that opinion, but the thought of something like  this happening to an AOS character or something along those lines is just too much fun.
Awesome

Spark Of Spirit

I don't remember what I was referring to. But I still want to rewatch it.

gunswordfist

I was referring their first episode, iirc.

I really need to rewatch this show as well. I took like a month break in between the early episodes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Marvel has already gotten the rights back to Punisher, as well as Blade.