The ownership situation of Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs

Started by Nameless, February 27, 2015, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nameless

These shows never show up on networks that Time Warner/Turner actually owns, at least in the US. And despite how hot '90s nostalgia is at the moment, WB doesn't do anything with the characters. Does Steven Spielberg partially own the characters or have special terms regarding the shows' reruns or something?

Daikun

Avaitor

Well in regards as to why Animaniacs and Tiny Toons had such short runs on CN, I found this article explaining why.

Pretty much, Nickelodeon was willing to pay more for the rights to air them, and Cartoon Network had enough shows to fill up their schedule without them. And apparently Nick wasn't interested in Freakazoid! or the DC shows, which is why those stuck around for longer.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nameless

That makes sense...and that's from the days before AOL tried to undo Time Warner's old "fiefdom" system too...

Silverstar

The Network Formerly Known as The Hub never acquired Pinky & the Brain or Freakazoid! either. In fact, few cable/satellite channels seem all that interested in acquiring F!, probably because its' episode count is so low (24) and it's humor's a bit esoteric. A lot of F!'s jokes and references flew over the heads of most kids, and several adults too, for that matter.

I think Daikun's right: WB and Amblin co-own those shows and the rights to those characters.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Nameless

The end credits of A!, at least, show that the show's copyright is held solely by Warner Bros. Entertainment...