80s toons that are still good.

Started by Peanutbutter, March 04, 2015, 10:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

So, I have been rewatching The Real Ghostbusters on YouTube lately. I had already rewatched Extreme Ghostbusters a while ago, but never got around to watching the other series until now for some reason. Anyway, I wish I had rewatched this a lot sooner because boy is it still fun after all these years. It helps J. Michael Starzynchi is a very good story editor. The animation is a little stilted at times but the designs, backgrounds, gags, and most importantly the writing all hold up fine.  I can't wait to get through all the episodes.

What other cartoons from the 80s do you guys think are still good to watch? Doesn't matter if they're a little dated or not,  just if they're watchable or not. Obviously Disney's stuff like Ducktales and Gummi Bears are no brainers, but I don't think we've discussed this much here before.

LumRanmaYasha

If we're talking just western television animation...geez, there isn't much besides DuckTales and Gummi Bears that I think I still care to watch. I have a fondness for the 80's Thundercats and I can enjoy watching certain episodes of that, but I wouldn't say it actually holds up.

Spark Of Spirit

Garfield & Friends, which started in the 80s, is still just as good as ever. Definitely better than most of the strip that inspired it.

Muppet Babies was pretty good, too. Shame it'll never get re-released. *Cue Cartoon X to the thread*
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

All of the above, pretty much.

Rescue Rangers has its moments too, but I'd consider it a step down from DuckTales and Gummi Bears.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Shit, I forgot about Garfield and Friends. I loved that show! Add that one to my list.

Also, This is America, Charlie Brown was a good mini-series, if that counts.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 04, 2015, 10:18:24 PM
Muppet Babies was pretty good, too. Shame it'll never get re-released. *Cue Cartoon X to the thread*

I got nothing, sorry.  :sweat:

gunswordfist

I never got around to watching The Real Ghostbusters but Extreme Ghostbusters was my favorite GB cartoon. Seriously, how can you not like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpCUB8IjzM

Anyway, I can't really find any cartoons from the 80s that I still like.
Quote from: Cartoon X on March 04, 2015, 10:30:41 PM
Shit, I forgot about Garfield and Friends. I loved that show! Add that one to my list.

Me too! I had no clue it was from the 80s. It seemed so 90s to me as a kid.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Commode

The Mighty Mouse cartoon had some good ideas and was a refreshment after nearly two decades of crap animation on TV, but I can never really say that I am a fan of it.  Still, it is watchable.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

I can't really think of any other 80s cartoons I could possibly like besides Garfield. Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop came out in the early 90s, so I can't count those. I got nothing right now. The 90s is probably my favorite era for cartoons, especially if I cheat and count Looney Tunes and Cartoon Cartoons airing on a daily basis. For anime, it could be the 80s, 90s, or double Os. Those are more spread out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I can think of some anime from the 80's that, dated animation aside, hold up remarkably well. Western Cartoons from that era are another matter. Besides the ones already mentioned, I can't think of any other genuinely good ones.

The 90's, on the other hand, is thriving with classics, IMO.

FoxKidsLover16

Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
The Smurfs
Gummi Bears
Winnie the Pooh
DuckTales
Muppet Babies
A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
Garfield and Friends

There's others I love for how awful they can be like The Mario Cartoons, Zelda, and Captain N.

I'm honestly surprised no one mentioned Smurfs. It was popular for a reason. Plus, I have seen people like the BlackNerdComedy and other people that still love that show to this day

Avaitor

tbh, I've never been much for The Smurfs, even as a kid. That was one of those shows that would signal that it's time to turn off Cartoon Network for another channel or to go outside or something. I've tried a little bit of it again on the Boomerang app, and I'm still as meh on it as ever.

It's not the worst show from that period, but that's about all I can say.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/