The Greatest Live-Action Movie Ever (Nomination Thread)

Started by LumRanmaYasha, March 06, 2015, 11:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ed Wood hasn't been nominated either.

Well, shit, I can't fathom what to replace on my list, but I'll have to make room for it somehow....

gunswordfist

I meant I try not to nominate movies that I know will get gutted in a competition. :D

Also, speaking of Dancing With The Wolves, I like The Last Samurai and don't give a shit what anyone says about it. :bleh:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The last Samurai is one of my favorite movies. :thumbup:

People will bash it like Avatar just because the story is unoriginal, but for me it's all in the execution. Unlike Avatar, the characters here are fully fleshed out and 3-dimensional, and the actors aren't just phoning in their performances.

gunswordfist

Sweet. It's probably my 2nd favorite Cruise film. I remember Avatar being called a Dancing With The Wolves ripoff now. :D I still have not seen it.

Anyway, criticizing movies for being similar is silly. What's next? Saying Akira Kurosawa movies sucks because he "ripped off" Westerns?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 06, 2015, 11:04:19 PMI remember Avatar being called a Dancing With The Wolves ripoff now. :D
I called him that.

In retrospect, Almost Famous is probably closer.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 06, 2015, 11:09:21 PM
Actually, I think it's the other way around. :D
I was thinking, I believe Kurosawa movies were influenced by Westerns and then Westerns were influenced by them, like how Magnificent Seven is based off of Samurai Seven.

Avaitor

Yo, I think I'm gonna abstain from nominating stuff. You can take all of my choices off and replace them with some more of your own, guys.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on March 07, 2015, 03:26:03 AM
Yo, I think I'm gonna abstain from nominating stuff. You can take all of my choices off and replace them with some more of your own, guys.
You sure? You had some good choices, man.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on March 07, 2015, 03:42:55 AM
You sure? You had some good choices, man.
Yeah, idk, I don't really feel like it. You guys can come up with better stuff, I'm sure!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

Cartoon X: How many movies are we allowed to nominate?* Anyway, here are a few that I don't think are in the tournament yet, if any of them have already been nominated and I missed it, I apologize in advance.

Ran
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
M
The Lion in Winter (original version)
The Third Man
Miller's Crossing
Chinatown
The Night of the Hunter
Blade Runner: Director's Cut
Touch of Evil
Out of the Past
The Lives of Others

*Edit: Nevermind, I hadn't read the OP properly.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Do you still plan on voting in the tournament?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 06, 2015, 11:01:03 AMThe nomination period will last until midnight on January 13th.

So....does that mean that the deadline was two months ago, or are you saying that we have to wait until next year to start the voting part of this tournament? Or did you just somehow type January when you meant to write March? :sly:

On another note, I count us at 108 nominations, excluding Avaitor's nominations since he abstained. So that leaves us 20 short of thr full limit. Pharass still has 4 votes left, though, and if Lord Il should decide to participate, that will even the total out to its maximum capacity, I believe.

gunswordfist

I love how CX edited his post yesterday and still has the date wrong. :sly: