Yoshihiro Tatsumi

Started by LumRanmaYasha, March 08, 2015, 01:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

One of the most important and innovative mangaka to have ever worked in the industry, and one of my favorites, has recently passed away. R.I.P. Yoshihiro Tatsumi. His work was some of the most mature and profound short-story manga in the medium, and he will be sorely missed.

I now feel the need to go out and finally collect the breath of his work available in english. I'm certainly going to pick up a copy of A Drifting Life soon and give that a good re-read in honor of his passing. I should also get around to checking out the anime movie adaption, sometime.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

I'm not familiar with his works but I'll try to read some of them soon. RIP.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's always sad to see such legendary creators leave us.

Like Foggle, I need to experience his work as well.

Avaitor

Oh, RIP

What would be a good starting point for his work, CartoonX?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

RIP.

I'll start A Drifting Life tonight.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on March 08, 2015, 04:59:37 PM
What would be a good starting point for his work, CartoonX?

A Drifting Life is a good starting point. It's an autobiographical account of the evolution of manga as entertainment and an art from in post-WW2 Japan, detailing Tatsumi's career and the pioneering days of the Gekiga movement. It's his longest of his two translated volume-length story manga, and it's my favorite of his works for the insight given into both the social and economic struggles faced in post-war Japan (a subject Tatsumi often addresses in many of his stories), the development of the manga industry, as well as the challenges faced by the early pioneers of mature, adult-oriented manga.

Beyond ADL, Drawn and Quarterly also has published the following collections of his work. They are interesting to read in chronicle order to see how his style and the themes he addressed changed and refined themselves over time:

Black Blizzard (a very important work in the foundation of the gekiga style, though a little rough compared to his later stuff)
The Push Man and other stories
Abandon the Old in Tokyo
Good-Bye (arguably the best of the collections)
Fallen Words