The Greatest Live-Action Movie Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, March 13, 2015, 06:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I love movies. You love movies. We all love movies. But which movie would you say is the best? Or rather, which movie can we all agree on is the best? That's what we're here to find out. By the end of this competition, one movie will have been chosen as the one, the only, Greatest Movie Ever.

To allow people sufficient time to watch movies they have not seen before, each match will be up for a one week period. To quicken the pace of the competition, however, two matches will be available for voting per week.

Round 1: Match 1

The Name of the Rose

VS.

The Dirty Dozen

VS.

Blade Runner: Director's Cut

VS.

12 Angry Men

Round 1: Match 2

Almost Famous

VS.

North by Northwest

VS.

Moonrise Kingdom

VS.

Notorious

I need to see some of these movies, so I will vote later sometime next week.

gunswordfist

Ah, The Dirty Dozen. I'll at least try to do Match#1.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have thankfully seen all of the movies in match 1, but have not seen 3 out of 4 in match 2, which I will just have to pass on as there is no feasible way that I can see more than 2 movies a week with my current schedule and limited Internet access.

Match 1:
The Dirty Dozen- An excellent, classic film with an all-star cast from its era. Not many movies can balance such an ensemble cast and still have room for plenty of nuance and character development, and while I can't honestly say that everyone is given equal attention, they are all memorable.

12 Angry Men- The other movie with 12-ish main characters kind of/sort of, but it's another classic. Admittedly, I haven't seen this one in a long time, but it's about on par with my top choice for this match, from what I remember of it.

The Name of the Rose- A truly underrated gem from back when Sean Connery was still trying to escape the shadow of his iconic work as Bond. It's truly a shame, because he really shines, here, in this atmospherically very creepy mystery story. Some of you may recognize this as the same movie which features The Library Killer from the villain tournament thread. While I don't expect this to be a favorite on here, it is still very much worth watching as a uniquely entertaining film in its own right.

Blade Runner: Director's Cut- Blade Runner is another excellent film, and it shows you how tough this match is that I'm ranking it last, but the only reason is because while I do like the movie, this is the one that I'm the least compelled to re-watch, not because the film does anything wrong,  but rather because it's a bit more intellectual in tone than these other films, and I do have to be in the right state of mind to properly get anything out of the experience.

Avaitor

I'll pass on the first for right now, having only seen two of these, but wow, the second one literally has only movies nominated by myself!

Notorious
Moonrise Kingdom
North by Northwest
Almost Famous

And I love them all, too!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Pharass

Blade Runner
12 Angry Men
The Name of the Rose
The Dirty Dozen

I'll have to pass on the second match, since I've only seen one of the movies in it.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

12 Angry Men
The Name of the Rose
The Dirty Dozen
Blade Runner

I've only seen two in the second round. It wouldn't be fair to vote in it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yo, GSF, TDD needs your support. Move your ass and vote for it before it's too late. :>

gunswordfist

Avaitor

Quote from: Avaitor on March 13, 2015, 11:53:24 PM
I'll pass on the first for right now, having only seen two of these, but wow, the second one literally has only movies nominated by myself!

Notorious
Moonrise Kingdom
North by Northwest
Almost Famous

And I love them all, too!
I really should expand on these.

Notorious may not be one of Hitchcock's most well-known films (at least by today's standards, where he's best remembered for the same 4 or 5 movies), but it's one of his best, featuring 3 of the best actors from the golden age of Hollywood, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains, playing chicken with each other to outperform the other. Besides being a powerhouse of talent, the film is able to blend Hitch's typical thriller tone along with a biting romance and a fun espionage plot all in once, a good decade before North by Northwest. It's one of his films that I'm most likely to return to.

Moonrise Kingdom instantly became my favorite Wes Anderson film on its first viewing, and has held up considerably since. It's another love story, but focusing on a younger pair and thankfully isn't afraid to remind the audience of just how awkward pre-pubescent romance, or living in general, can be. Everyone brings in good performances, from the kids to more veteran actors like Bruce Willis, Edward Norton and (of course) Bill Murray pulling out some of their best work in years. And I was also reminded of 80's adventure kids films with the boy scout angle, which helps to set it apart from Anderson's other films.

North by Northwest could easily be higher on another day, but while I really enjoy the film, I feel like the top 2 deserved a higher placement, not just because it's the one you guys are very likely the most familiar with.

And while Almost Famous is my last choice, I really do enjoy the movie. It may not be the tightest representation of adolescence or 70's rock, but the whole package is mighty strong regardless, and it works well in both comedy and drama.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Aaaannnnnd Netflix and apparently Hulu does not have The Name Of The Rose. I don't feel like watching movies on random sites so for these matches so I'm going to pass on both.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Have you at least seen the other 3 movies from that match?

gunswordfist

I haven't seen none of the seven other movies. Sorry. Edit: Except Blade Runner. WHOOPS. I'm not THAT uncultured. lol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just watch 12 Angry Men, then, and vote.

I love The Name of the Rose, but I can honestly say that it's not a better film than The Dirty Dozen or 12 Angry Men.

gunswordfist