The Greatest Live-Action Movie Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, March 13, 2015, 06:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, is this anime only or animation in general?

And are multi-parters allowed to be counted as one episode; as in, two or more episodes that are specifically designed to be viewed as one whole (not the same as a story arc, mind you)?

LumRanmaYasha

Just anime for now. I think it'll help narrow down the choices, and I like the opportunity to do two different greatest animated episode competitions rather than just the one.

As for multi-parters, I figure I'd allow them depending on how they were initially broadcast. If every part originally aired back to back, I'd count them as one nomination, but if they were broadcast on different sequential weeks I think they should just be treated as separate episodes. But it can be a case by case basis depending on the multi-parter in question.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While we're on the subject of bringing up possible new competition threads, I have been pondering for a while on doing another video game-based tournament. The two ideas that I narrowed it down to were for either the best video game level or the best video game boss fight.

Now, bear in mind that if I were to do this, it wouldn't be for a few weeks since I have too much on my plate at the moment to commit to running a thread like this again. However, if enough people are up for something like that, then I'd definitely be happy to run one of these again once my schedule clears up a bit more.

I also wanted to do a thread for the best live-action horror movie, but I think that I'll wait until closer to Halloween for something like that.

Spark Of Spirit

I think the level idea would be an interesting one.

Basically any design that includes a starting point and a defined ending point counts as a level, right? That has a lot of possibilities.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yes.

For example, there's traditional levels that are labeled as such like "Hydrocity Zone" from Sonic, or "Castle Crush" from DKC2, or "The Silent Cartographer" from Halo. However, less traditional stuff that can still be looked at as contained segments of a game can count as well. For example, if one wanted to nominate something from Pokémon which isn't inherently divided up into levels with clearly defined cut-off points, nominating something like "Lavender Town" or even just a particular Gym could be seen as a level within the context of those games.

In games like Dark Souls or Jet Set Radio Future where you constantly return to certain areas throughout the game, those areas could be viewed as levels, even if you don't complete all of it in one-shot. And in any Zelda game, listing a dungeon or any side-quests contained in a specific area of the game would suffice as a functional video game level, in my view.

Foggle

I like the level idea. I'd participate in that for sure. Only reason I'm not doing the anime episode one is because everyone else already took most of my picks, and my others probably wouldn't be too popular. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on July 08, 2016, 12:25:46 PMI like the level idea. I'd participate in that for sure. Only reason I'm not doing the anime episode one is because everyone else already took most of my picks, and my others probably wouldn't be too popular. :D

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Most of my picks are outright destined to lose in the first round, but I picked them because I liked them so much anyways. For instance, I wouldn't expect anyone who isn't already a fan of Digimon Adventure to get why episode 21 is such a good character episode in the context of the story, even if it was directed by the now well-renowned Mamoru Hosoda, but I figured that it was still worth giving it a shot.

Likewise, One Piece episode #474 is a brilliantly animated and directed piece of television, but it's so wrapped up in the continuity of a major ongoing story-line that it makes for poor stand-alone material, so it likely won't mean anything to anyone not already invested in the series up to that point, but I figured that I'd highlight just how much of a stand-out episode it is despite being smack-dab in the middle of a major story arc and not exactly having any of the particularly big moments of that arc within the episode itself. Instead it just shows how much a good director can get out of an episode regardless of what material is given to him.

So I'd say it's still worth nominating any good episodes that mean a lot to you. Even if your picks don't make it very far, you can at least expose other people to good stuff that they may not have seen before. ;)

Really, only four of my choices actually work as good stand-alone pieces, those being the two DBZ TV Specials, the first episode of Mr. Osomatsu (and since it's an episodic comedy series, any episode of that would work as a good stand-alone episode), and the episode of Space Brothers that I nominated which is mainly just a flash-back episode that doesn't require any previous knowledge of the series in order for the viewer to understand and enjoy it.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 08, 2016, 10:29:01 AM
While we're on the subject of bringing up possible new competition threads, I have been pondering for a while on doing another video game-based tournament. The two ideas that I narrowed it down to was for either the best video game level or the best video game boss fight.

Now, bear in mind that if I were to do this, it wouldn't be for a few weeks since I have too much on my plate at the moment to commit to running a thread like this again. However, if enough people are up for something like that, then I'd definitely be happy to run one of these again once my schedule clears up a bit more.

I also wanted to do a thread for the best live-action horror movie, but I think that I'll wait until closer to Halloween for something like that.

I'm down for both those ideas! Though, my participation might be limited since I haven't played or re-played a whole lot of games recently.  :sweat:

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 08, 2016, 12:42:10 PM
Quote from: Foggle on July 08, 2016, 12:25:46 PMI like the level idea. I'd participate in that for sure. Only reason I'm not doing the anime episode one is because everyone else already took most of my picks, and my others probably wouldn't be too popular. :D

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Most of my picks are outright destined to lose in the first round, but I picked them because I liked them so much anyways. For instance, I wouldn't expect anyone who isn't already a fan of Digimon Adventure to get why episode 21 is such a good character episode in the context of the story, even if it was directed by the now well-renowned Mamoru Hosoda, but I figured that it was still worth giving it a shot.

Likewise, One Piece episode #474 is a brilliantly animated and directed piece of television, but it's so wrapped up in the continuity of a major ongoing story-line that it makes for poor stand-alone material, so it likely won't mean anything to anyone not already invested in the series up to that point, but I figured that I'd highlight just how much of a stand-out episode it is despite being smack-dab in the middle of a major story arc and not exactly having any of the particularly big moments of that arc within the episode itself. Instead it just shows how much a good director can get out of an episode regardless of what material is given to him.

So I'd say it's still worth nominating any good episodes that mean a lot to you. Even if your picks don't make it very far, you can at least expose other people to good stuff that they may not have seen before. ;)

Really, only four of my choices actually work as good stand-alone pieces, those being the two DBZ TV Specials, the first episode of Mr. Osomatsu (and since it's an episodic comedy series, any episode of that would work as a good stand-alone episode), and the episode of Space Brothers that I nominated which is mainly just a flash-back episode that doesn't require any previous knowledge of the series in order for the viewer to understand and enjoy.

I second what Dr. E-K said. Don't hesitate to nominate your favorite episodes if you're really passionate about them. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, as far as the video game one goes, I think there would be a lot of nominations that at least one or more members haven't played. The good thing is that it might generate some discussion with some people explaining why some of their choices are so good when they come up, which I find can make these threads more interesting rather than just listing out a rank order for each new round.

Also, with something like level nominations, people could link to videos of those, so at the very least you could get a good idea of what type of gameplay mechanics the game offers and generally imagine what the level would play like in order to influence your decision.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm definitely interested in reading people's thoughts on their favorite levels in gaming, I just wouldn't feel comfortable voting unless I've played the levels in question.  :sweat: