Things That Bother You About Moving Pictures

Started by gunswordfist, March 25, 2015, 05:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I don't think this thread has been made yet.

I still have no clue why so many people complain about Unbreakable not having enough action. They are completely missing the point. Also, it's my favorite M. Night film, even though I admittedly remember little from the other films of his that I have seen. lol
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I only really like M. Night's three films for Disney. Sixth Sense is a good paranormal thriller, Unbreakable is a good Superhero story, and Signs is an entertaining alien invasion story. I haven't liked anything else he's done.

As for the thread, I don't think Temple of Doom is a film totally without merit and it gets way too much guff. It's not as good as the other two films, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. Though I don't think it gets nearly as much hate anymore with Crystal Skull existing and all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, it kind of seems like the same thing as "Unpopular Opinions," based on your first post, which we do have a thread for. :P

As for me:

-Among plenty of other biases, I can't stand how foreign feature-length animated films that are NOT directed by Miyazaki or at least Studio Ghibli films are pretty much guaranteed to get snubbed by the Oscars. I mean, I can say with certainty that any of Hosoda's 3 original movies were at least as good as any of the other nominations from their respective years, but good luck getting the Academy to acknowledge that. The same goes for stuff from other great anime film directors, as well as any great animated films from other countries in general.

-I feel like marketing for big-budget films has gotten into the bad habbit of showing off too much stuff in advertisements, to the point where when I actually go to see the movie, a lot of the best scenes have already been spoiled for me, and don't hold the same impact that they would have had it been left a surprise to the audience.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 25, 2015, 05:46:52 PMI only really like M. Night's three films for Disney. Sixth Sense is a good paranormal thriller, Unbreakable is a good Superhero story, and Signs is an entertaining alien invasion story. I haven't liked anything else he's done.

As for the thread, I don't think Temple of Doom is a film totally without merit and it gets way too much guff. It's not as good as the other two films, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. Though I don't think it gets nearly as much hate anymore with Crystal Skull existing and all.

Agreed on both counts.

gunswordfist

Meh, it bothers me a lot. :bleh:

I watched Sixth Sense when I was a kid and some of Signs around that time. I think I've heard a lot of people say that can't take signs seriously.

I still think animation shouldn't have a seperate category in Oscars. It's a medium not a genre. It also seems that most foreign films get shoved into one category. (I could be wrong, I don't keep up with the Oscars) I think that's just stupid.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that it's fair to give animation its own category in order to give great animated works more exposure. And it's not like they are ineligible to be nominated in some of the same categories as live-action movies. Movies like Beauty and the Beast and Up have been nominated for Best Picture before, for example.

Spark Of Spirit

Signs is the first to show cracks in his style, but other than the water thing the movie is fairly well done. Starting with The Village, however, it just gets way too predictable and boring.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I watched a tiny bit of The Village as well. I'll just skip rewatching that. :sly:

Daikun

The #1 thing that bothers me about the movies: When pieces of shit make more box office $$$ than good films with effort put into them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, some people complain that Ant-Man looks a bit too stale. Well, I can understand that, but at least it looks competent. You see, I just watched the new Terminator Genisys trailer, and all of a sudden I find it hard to complain about something like Ant-Man. That trailer was awful, and it looks like it's going to be the worst Terminator movie yet, which is saying a lot. I can't even begin to comprehend the story. It looks like one huge convoluted mess of a fan-fiction.

Spark Of Spirit

I think some of us might be spoiled since we don't look at too many trailers and few of them are actually any good. That said, if the worst you can say about the Ant-Man trailer was that it's "too plain" then I probably wouldn't have seen any of Nolan's Batman films. Because those trailers were awful.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I distinctly remember not really caring that much about The Dark Knight from the trailer. I wasn't sold on Heath Ledger as The Joker, and the movie just looked like an uninspired and predictable by the numbers sequel....based on the trailer. I only even watched the movie a couple of days after opening night because a friend dragged me along and insisted that I must watch it. Needless to say, I went in with very moderate expectations and was in for quite the surprise.

gunswordfist

I just watched a few commercials, I think. I forget. Anyway, I was pretty hyped to see the movie based off of what I heard. I was not convinced that Ledger could hold a candle to Nicholson's performance at all but boy was I wrong. Probably my favorite superhero movie now.

Foggle

I still haven't seen any of the trailers for Kingsman, but apparently they make it look like a children's movie. Come to think of it, Kick-Ass had the exact same problem...

Avaitor

Y'no, I'm working on a film festival around here right now, and we had to watch the trailers for a lot of movies before we got to know more about our duties. Some of them are pretty bad, even though the movies are great.

Like this, for example. This was one of the best received films of the festival, but it doesn't look like anything, does it? And this is too boring to get across the weird but funny horror comedy that this flick is. This is easily the best trailer that we got to see, since it actually gets across the kind of movie we're working with, and contains good moments. The others, not so much.

Sometimes, the advertising department doesn't get it right. It doesn't help that in this case, though, these are smaller movies that rely on the directors and editors themselves to make a trailer.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/