Things That Bother You About Moving Pictures

Started by gunswordfist, March 25, 2015, 05:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I just saw the new trailer for Jurassic World.

Ugh.

Can't we either just have a new adaption of the book or a new franchise now? Like Terminator, this franchise has run out of gas long ago.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Can we get someone to actually do a GOOD adaptation of Congo or Timeline as opposed to another failed Jurassic movie?

Spark Of Spirit

The worst part is that most of Michael Crichton's books would easily transfer into good action adventure sci-fi movies.

And yet about none of them have been. What a waste.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I just remember Congo creeping me out as a kid.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 21, 2015, 01:25:07 PM

Ugh.

Can't we either just have a new adaption of the book or a new franchise now? Like Terminator, this franchise has run out of gas long ago.

That reminds me that I need to read the Jurassic Park novel.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 21, 2015, 09:32:04 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 21, 2015, 01:25:07 PM

Ugh.

That reminds me that I need to read the Jurassic Park novel.
It's a very good adventure story. It even has elements of sci-fi, horror, action, and good suspense.

Anyone who likes the movie is doing a disservice by not reading it.

talonmalon333

I've heard it's very different from the movie, though of course I couldn't say how. But I love the movie and consider it something of a modern classic.

And yeah, I'm not particularly interested in Jurassic World. Maybe I would if I had two sequels to convince me I should be excited... Well, I have two sequels. But they ain't fulfilling the excitement duty.

Spark Of Spirit

The general plot is the same but the characters are all not which changes a lot of events around. The lawyer in the book, for instance, is a much more three dimensional character than the film version, and John Hammond is not a very nice guy. At all. It's almost a completely different story.

I honestly don't know why they don't just adapt the book if they want another JP film especially considering the reboot mania going on. Nobody wants another sequel.

gunswordfist

Good point. But people are still trying to go with the "bigger=better" bull. They should try telling a better story.

talonmalon333

What do you think is the worst of the two sequels so far?

gunswordfist

Personally, I've only seen all of III. All I remember is dinosaurs only killing people at the start of the movie and not being a threat for the rest of the film. That movie bored me as a kid.(teen? I forget.)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Jurassic Park III is definitely worse, IMO. Both movies suck, and even though there was a sequel book called The Lost World, the movie didn't really have anything to do with the source material (even less so than the first movie), but it at least had an entertaining scene or two. JP3 was just flat-out boring, in addition to being incredibly stupid with the plot and characters.

talonmalon333

I also tend to think The Lost World tried a little bit more. I mean, it didn't work out, but I do get the feeling like they wanted to make a movie that wasn't a total rehash of the first one, particularly with the scene at the end when the T-Rex is brought to civilization. I don't get that feeling from Jurassic Park III. It just seems content with following the same beats as the first movie, only with less heart and, well, quality.

Foggle

I honestly liked JP3 a bit more as a kid, but I was very young and still hated both of them back then.

talonmalon333

They're both bad. I just have a bit more respect for Lost World.