Gargoyles

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 09, 2011, 12:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Similar to the Critic's B:TAS list, GregX made his own Top 11 for Gargoyles.

I really like it, myself. It's fairly similar to how I'd make my own, in fact. Especially the top choice.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I can't argue with any of them, Gargoyles was consistently awesome outside of the overly long World Tour.

But my favorite episode is Revelations, which isn't a particularly stand out episode and is far smaller in scale focusing on basically three characters, yet I enjoy it immensely. It's probably the focus on an aspect of the world we don't see much of, and features one of my favorite characters (Bluestone) in a very unique setting for the universe.

It's probably not the "best" episode, but yeah, it's my favorite.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Great list, IMO. "City of Stone" is such a fantastic episode, and totally deserving of the top slot.

You know, after reading that, I suddenly feel tempted to watch this right now. I'd say it's high time to break out those DVD's again...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its a superbly-written list and I pretty much agree with all of his choices. I also agree (personally) that no other children's cartoon has even come close to touching what City of Stone did, not just in terms of being dark or deep but also in terms of really fleshing out and characterizing the villains and showing their actual development into what we came to know them as for most of the series. Seeing how Macbeth was once a noble king and Demona actually got along with a human at one point in her past (even though it was for her own personal reasons, as she still detested them) really put both of those characters in a different perspective. Its also amazing how this was all clearly planned out from the beginning, as the series dropped hints to their past relationship from as early on as season 1 during Macbeth's first appearance in an episode.

I'd do my own top 11/10 Gargoyles list, but it'd be redundant when compared to this list, since I'd have most of the same choices and probably even have a lot in the same spots.

Kiddington

So, according to James Harvey in this thread on TZ, Disney has "tentative plans" to release the rest of the series on DVD.

Thoughts?

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Heavy Traffic

Gargoyles is my favourite animated series hands down. Greg Weisman is a god damn genius! I was extremely disappointed with the third season "Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles" though. Weisman only wrote the first episode and as expected it only goes downhill from there. So you can imagine how excited I was when I found out that the true creator of Gargoyles was continuing the series in comic book form, starting from where the second season finale left off. But it was too good to be true. Disney raised their licensing fees so Slave Labour Graphics had to can the series after about 18 issues or so. I like to think Disney did this on purpose because they were jealous of how great the series was doing compared to their version of the Gargoyles story post season 2 finale.

GregX

Many of you know how I feel about this show at this point, but thanks for the compliments on my list.

Now, to reply to some of what was said about Demona on the first page of this thread. It's not that she doesn't understand humans, she definitely does. Her hatred for them is fueled by a guilt complex larger than Peter Parker's. Except instead of internalizing that guilt, she spreads it and projects it on everybody else. She needs to keep hating the humans and rationalizing away her own failings because if she doesn't, that means she admits her culpability in the massacre of her clan. She can't do that, she won't do that... but she knows, she won't admit it to herself, but she knows. This is one of the big reasons I want "Gargoyles 2198" to get produced, because there we will finally see her have her epiphany.

Dr. Insomniac

Well, I got hilariously bored and decided to see what my idea of a cast would look like for a Gargoyles movie.

Elisa Maza - Freema Agyeman
David Xanatos - Tom Hardy
Owen Burnett - Andrew Scott
Demona - Lara Pulver
Goliath - Chiwetel Ejiofor
Hudson - Derek Jacobi
Broadway - Robert Sheehan
Brooklyn - Jack O'Connell
Lexington - Thomas Sangster

Avaitor

Personally, I'd try to bring back as much of the voice cast for the gargoyles as possible. I don't see why not.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on September 28, 2012, 11:24:02 PM
Personally, I'd try to bring back as much of the voice cast for the gargoyles as possible. I don't see why not.
I don't know. As much as I want to go for faithfulness, there's also a bit of national accuracy to consider. And since Frakes is too old to convincingly play a live-action Xanatos, it'd be odd to have some reprise their roles and for others not to.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 28, 2012, 11:26:44 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 28, 2012, 11:24:02 PM
I don't know. As much as I want to go for faithfulness, there's also a bit of national accuracy to consider. And since Frakes is too old to convincingly play a live-action Xanatos, it'd be odd to have some reprise their roles and for others not to.
Well that's why I said the gargoyles. Xanatos and Eliza will obviously need to be actually casted.

But I guess you might be right.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I mean, Ed Asner's been getting on in years, and Thom Adcox can no longer sound young if his Klarion performance is anything to go by. If it counts, I'd have Frank Welker reprise Bronx.

...now, I'm waiting for who Greg would pick for his cast.

Dr. Insomniac

I legitimately brought up Gargoyles when the teacher was talking about Othello during novel analysis class. Mostly since all I know about Othello comes from the show.

That reminds me...

Othello - Idris Elba
Desdemona - Adjoa Andoh
Iago - Craig Parkinson

Avaitor

Funny you bump this. Apparently starting tonight, Gargoyles will be gone from Disney XD's late-night lineup, so I decided to record it for possibly the last time last night. The episode that was on was "Sentinel", which I haven't seen in a long time.

It's a good one though. Amnesiac storylines never really impress me (I hated Al's ar for that in FMA, for one), but since this is a Weisman show, it turned out more interesting than most, and still had some decent material for Goliath and Elisa to manage, and had s solid villain for them to overcome. But like most of the Avalon arc, I miss the rest of the group, since it was only those 2, Angela and Bronx.

New blog!