Harvey Beaks

Started by Mr. Big, March 29, 2015, 01:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

Anyone watched the sneak peek last night, after Kids Choice Awards? I thought it was decent, personally.

Official debut is tonight at 7 PM Eastern.

gunswordfist

I have literally no idea what it's about but I might check it out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

It's from the same guy who made Chowder.

Here's a preview.

Silverstar

I just saw the preview episode last night, it was OK. Nothing groundbreaking or world-rocking, but OK. I liked it more than Nick's other recent animated comedies, though that's not saying much 'cause I'm not a fan of either of them (I'm not even going to say that Breadwinners or Sanjay and Craig are bad shows, they're just not for me).

When I first started seeing promos for this show and I scoped out the cast, my initial thought was "more anthropomorphic animals. Yay."  :unimpressed: But at least they're still recognizable forest animals in a fairly close-to-nature forest setting, they're not mostly human man-freaks like the characters on Arthur, so there's that. (I still prefer human leads overall, but oh well.) The characters were engaging enough, again, no earth shattering characters in the bunch, but fairly amusing creations. Harvey himself and Fee seemed likable and appealing, Foo not so much: he appears to be one of those 'LOL random' character types that I've never been crazy about, plus I'm not wild about his design, he's got that weird growth coming out of his head that makes him look like a Pikmin, but it's only the first episode, maybe we'll see more to Foo's character as the show progresses.

The other characters were a tad one-note, but still appealing enough: Princess seemed like Lumpy Space Princess fused with Eric Cartman and I kind of liked Technobear, but I'm a bit of a fan of techno music myself; I admit to getting a mild chuckle out of him hitting on Harvey's mom.

I'm kind of surprised that so far no one's touched upon the fact that Harvey's dad and Baymax have the same voice actor, Scott Adsit.

Overall, it wasn't bad by any stretch, but it lacked that special something that puts comedies like Gravity Falls and Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse over the top for me. Or maybe I'm just being overly cautious, as I've backed C.H. Greenblatt's work previously and was later burned by it: I was a big fan of Chowder when it debuted, and was one of those gullible suckers touting it as the next big thing in animated comedies only to have to take a HUGE drop in quality after a season or 2, so Greenblatt's gotta work hard to earn my trust again.

Again, my world wasn't rocked by Harvey Beaks, but depending on when it airs, I could see myself watching it as an alternative to nothing.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I'm sure it's a step up from Breadwinners, in any case.

I'll have to wait on this and see how it turns out. The last time I got invested in a Greenblatt show it fell off a cliff and exploded at the bottom.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Hey, a non-action show on Nickelodeon that doesn't make me wanna jam my eyes with a fork! :joy:

It's been a long time since I've been able to enjoy a comedy cartoon on Nickelodeon. Outside of their action shows, barely anything has really grabbed me on the network since I fully jumped ship to CN in 1998. It's refreshing to see something that actually seems appealing.

I don't know if I'd call this a classic, but it's decent enough that I might check it out once in a while, and that's hard for me to say about Nickelodeon shows these days.

Mr. Big

The 2nd show aired today. Both were touching and fun. It really is like a punk version of Winnie the Pooh (that's how the creator described it).

And, yes, it's nothing like "Chowder" at all.

LumRanmaYasha

I don't think it would have been a bad thing if it was like first season Chowder. In any case, I quite like the feel and tone of the show. Rather relaxed and refreshingly not reliant on absurdity like other cartoons these days tend to, and the backgrounds and color in the show are just gorgeous. It's not the funniest show in the world, perhaps, but it's charming enough to want to follow, and that's more than I can say about anything else on Nick these days.

Mr. Big

Just wondering if anyone caught the "Garfield" reference. Harvey was shown reading in his room, and he said something like "Boy, that cat sure loves lasagna"

Mr. Big

Anyone think the rabbit has a crush on Harvey?

Daxdiv

Quote from: Mr. Big on April 21, 2015, 03:23:22 AM

Yes, Yes I do. Even I'm feeling some vibes from that rabbit liking Harvey since the first episode I saw.

Spark Of Spirit

I knew kids like that. They idolize another kid to an absurd degree because they envy them too much and want to be them. The rabbit reminds me of them.

So far I'm enjoying the show, but I'm still keeping my guard up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Mr. Big on April 21, 2015, 03:23:22 AM

Well, it's not subtle.  :P

Daikun

There will be 4 new episodes airing this Saturday.

9:15AM - The Nature of Nature
9:45AM - Princess is Better Than You
10:15AM - Old Fashioned Dade
10:45AM - Someone's Stealing My Stuff

They'll be airing SpongeBob between the episodes, hence the 15-minute breaks.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Daikun on March 30, 2015, 08:42:23 PM
Hey, a non-action show on Nickelodeon that doesn't make me wanna jam my eyes with a fork! :joy:

It's been a long time since I've been able to enjoy a comedy cartoon on Nickelodeon. Outside of their action shows, barely anything has really grabbed me on the network since I fully jumped ship to CN in 1998. It's refreshing to see something that actually seems appealing.

I don't know if I'd call this a classic, but it's decent enough that I might check it out once in a while, and that's hard for me to say about Nickelodeon shows these days.
You used to prefer Nick? I feel sorry for you.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody