Harvey Beaks

Started by Mr. Big, March 29, 2015, 01:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Well to be fair, Cartoon Network didn't have that many originals until around that time. I like Hanna-Barbera better than most, but a channel built on mostly their work could get old fast.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 02, 2015, 07:28:03 PMYou used to prefer Nick? I feel sorry for you.

I didn't have CN until the late 90s.

EDIT: Also, what Avaitor said. Nick was churning out quality hits already while CN was still in its "we're still experimenting" stage.

gunswordfist

I didn't like many of Nick's hits but yeah, HB could get old after awhile.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

At the same time though, I was way more into Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo and Cow & Chcken than anything on Nick at the time. And when CN premiered Powerpuff Girls and Ed, Edd n' Eddy within the span of 2 months (yes, really), there was no turning back to Nickelodeon.

But this thread is about Harvey Beaks, which I haven't seen yet. It looks cute, but I'm a little unsure about giving a Greenblatt show a chance after what happened to Chowder. Although the first season and a quarterish are still great...
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on May 03, 2015, 04:42:24 PMBut this thread is about Harvey Beaks, which I haven't seen yet. It looks cute, but I'm a little unsure about giving a Greenblatt show a chance after what happened to Chowder. Although the first season and a quarterish are still great...

You can watch full episodes on Nick's website.

http://www.nick.com/harvey-beaks/Episodes

EDIT: Crap. It seems they've taken off a couple. :whuh:

Mr. Big

Harvey Beaks is absolutely nothing like Chowder.

Like, remember when Mike Judge transitioned from "Beavis and Butt-Head" to "King of the Hill", and how the two shows differed? Basically, Greenblatt transitioning from "Chowder" to "Harvey Beaks" is like that.

Annnnd...is it safe to say that Dade is kinda gay for Harvey?

LumRanmaYasha

It hasn't been subtle.  :P

Mr. Big

"Comet Night" was pretty fun. It was one of those "two episodes that take place in the same time, but with different characters POV" thing, and it was done well.

Daikun

Quote from: Mr. Big on May 12, 2015, 11:28:32 AM"Comet Night" was pretty fun. It was one of those "two episodes that take place in the same time, but with different characters POV" thing, and it was done well.

I hope they make a third part sometime down the road. It would've been interesting to see the whole babysitting skit.

Mr. Big

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

New episodes start July 18 at 11AM.

Spark Of Spirit

I watched a few episodes I missed with a friend last weekend. This is such an enjoyable show. I really hope it doesn't fall off like Chowder did, because I really like it. Though it's already better than Chowder's best as it is right now, at least.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I keep forgetting about this one. It really should be next on my list, especially since I finished catching up with Star vs. the Forces of Evil ( :thumbup: in my book).

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, it's really great. Though, I think it's debatable whether it's better than Chowder's best depending on what you're hoping to get from it. It hasn't produced episodes that have made me laugh as hard as some of Chowder's strongest, nor has it met the same creative heights it had at times. But then again, it really isn't a laugh-out-loud kind of show; the draw of the series, for me, is more in it's strong cast of characters, beautiful art design, and charming innocent tone. It's a very nice, feel-good kind of show, and I really like to have those kind of shows to brighten up my day, particularly ones as well-crafted as HB is. I think I'm enjoying it more than I had Chowder back in the day, and I think the characters are more endearing too. Considering it's different focus as a show than Chowder, I'd like to think that it won't fall into the same trappings. For now, though, I'm content enjoying the show as it is now, and am glad Nick finally has another promising animated series to capitalize on.