Gintama

Started by LumRanmaYasha, April 08, 2015, 01:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Making this thread because the premiere episode of season 3 was hilarious and reminded me that more people on here need to watch/read this series. Because seriously, why don't you? It's one of the best and most accessible anime/manga comedies ever made.

Here are some clips on Youtube that I've watched time and time again:

The Armstrong Canon
Objection
Gintoki's Zanpakuto
Scouter
Katsura Likes Mickey Mouse
Candidates for Gokuon
Katsurap
Goddess of Victory
Gintoki's Motivation
Ashita no Joe/Hajime no Ippo Parody
Fight for Toilet Paper
Taka-tin
Shikigami Drama
Hijikata looks for the Dragon Ooey-gooey Balls (skip to 10:50)
Making Shonen Jump Manga (skip to 8:50)

Also, while I don't always enjoy the series as much when it tries to do a more serious arc, it's capable of some cool action. Here are two fights from the series I particularly enjoy rewatching:

Kamui vs. Hosen
Kagura vs. Abuto

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've seen bits and pieces of the series before. The comedy can be pretty hit or miss for me, but it's great when it gets it right.

Spark Of Spirit

I would watch a Gintaman anime.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

So apparently the opening skit of yesterday's episode was satirizing an apology speech given by an actual japanese politician. Here is the comparison video. I thought the joke was already hilarious by itself, but knowing what exactly it's referencing just makes it even funnier.  :lol:

LumRanmaYasha

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

I forgot to mention this earlier, but holy shit, that new ending. It looks like the Shogun Assassination arc is finally on it's way!  :shakeshakeshake:

LumRanmaYasha

The "Shogun Assassination" arc has been confirmed to being in the anime starting this December.

While I'm hyped as shit to see it animated, I'm definitely puzzled as to why they are starting it so soon. There are enough comedy arcs left in the series to last a cour and a half, and they won't have a chance to animate those after they start the SA arc, unless they present them as filler or "lost episodes" or something. I'm assuming they are planning to cover both the SA and the "Farewell, Shinsengumi" arcs to round up a year-length run for the season, and then comeback whenever they can to adapt the still-ongoing and presumably final arc. Though, if they time it just right, they might not have to take a break and be able to adapt the final arc straight through. Guess we'll just have to see how it all pans out. In the meantime...I'm going to just have to contain my excitement for December. Oh man, what a ride it's going to be...

Spark Of Spirit

I've never really dived into this show before outside of random episodes, but I keep hearing this upcoming arc basically changes the whole dynamic of the series. It apparently hasn't had a comedy chapter in well over a year by now. Like Toriko, it appears to be nearing the end.

If I wanted a crash course in the actual story (outside the comedy) what would be the episodes to watch?

Foggle

...Gintama has a story? :o

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on November 05, 2015, 09:51:09 PM
...Gintama has a story? :o

Yup. :sweat:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 05, 2015, 09:08:31 PM
I've never really dived into this show before outside of random episodes, but I keep hearing this upcoming arc basically changes the whole dynamic of the series. It apparently hasn't had a comedy chapter in well over a year by now. Like Toriko, it appears to be nearing the end.

If I wanted a crash course in the actual story (outside the comedy) what would be the episodes to watch?

You heard right. There hasn't been a comedy chapter for almost a year and a half now, and the series does look to be ending pretty soon.

Though it has an overarching story, I consider Gintama is a comedy first and foremost. Skipping all the comedy episodes and just watching the plot-related ones is really missing out, imo. It'd be like only watching the episodes of Detective Conan that had the Black Organization in them, and skipping all the other individual cases, even though those episodes still often feature equally important character development, and are still well worth watching and a lot of fun.

But, if you really want to watch just the most key story arcs in Gintama and nothing else, then in the order of how they're presented in the anime, I'd say the most important to watch would be:

Episode 3-12 - Various Character Introduction Episodes
Episode 13 - Harusame Arc
Episode 14 - Soyo's Introduction
Episode 15 - Elizabeth's Introduction
Episode 17 - Gengai Arc
Episode 22 - Sacchan's Introduction
Episode 23 - Sakamoto's Introduction
Episode 24 - Saigou's Introduction
Episode 26 - Takachin's Introduction
Episodes 27-28 - Rengokukan Arc
Episodes 31-32 - Memory Loss Arc
Episode 37 - Zenzou's Introduction
Episode 39 - Ikumatsu's Introduction
Episodes 40-43 - Umibozu Arc
Episodes 43-44 - Go-Ninja Arc
Episodes 45-46 - Inugami Arc
Episode 48 - Zenzou's Father's Funeral
Episode 49 - Kada's Introduction
Episodes 51-52 - Infant Strife Arc
Episode 53 - Tatsumi's Introduction
Episodes 54-55 - Mother Arc
Episodes 58-62 - Benizakura Arc (also adapted as the first Gintama movie)
Episodes 69-71 - Fuyo Arc
Episodes 76-81 - Yagyu Arc
Episode 83 - Shige Shige's Introduction
Episodes 84-85 - Hard-Boiled Detective Arc
Episodes 86-87 - Okita Mitsuba Arc
Episode 88 - Gokon episode
Episodes 101-105 - Shinsengumi Crises Arc
Episodes 115-118 - Ryugujo Arc
Episodes 139-146 - Yoshiwara Arc
Episodes 157-163 - Otsu Arc
Episodes 167-170 - Tama Quest Arc
Episodes 177-181 - Red Spider Arc
Episodes 182-184 - Popularity Poll Arc
Episodes 186-187 - Rokkaku Arc
Episode 205 - Yamazaki Becomes Addicted to Anpan
Episodes 207-208 - Glasses Arc
Episodes 210-215 - Four Devas Arc
Episodes 232-235 - Renho Arc
Episodes 244-247 - Thorny Arc
Episodes 253-256 - Kintama Arc
Episodes 257-261 - Courtesan of a Nation Arc
Episodes 262-264 - Beam Sword Style Arc
Episode 268 - Yamazaki & Tama's Marriage Meeting
Episodes 271-272 - Patriot Reunion Party Arc
Episodes 275-277 - Dekoboko Arc
Episodes 279-281 - Shinigami Arc
Episodes 283-284 - Confessional Arc
Episodes 290-291 - Kaientai Arc
Episodes 294-295 - Afro Arc
OVAs - Love Potion Arc
Episodes 300-307 - Shogun Assassination Arc
Episodes 308-316 - Farewell, Shinsengumi Arc
Episodes 317-328 - Rakuyou Arc
Episodes 329-??? - Silver Soul Arc

Not Yet Animated:

Chapters 431-433 - Homeless Arc

Spark Of Spirit

I don't have any problems watching the comedy episodes, I've already seen a couple of them, I'm just interested in seeing the story since I've yet to really see any of it beyond the very beginning. Plus, the show is going to be over 300 episodes. There's a lot there I could go back and watch later.

Thanks for the list, though. Maybe I'll check a bunch of this out before the seriousness starts and keep up with it when it gets there.

LumRanmaYasha

There was a 2-Minute Teaser for the Shogun Assassination arc at the end of this week's episode.

HYPED.

I just finished filling my gaps with the manga this week, and re-read both the Shogun Assassination and the Farewell, Shinsengumi arcs. They were even better the second time around and with the proper context of having read through the series beginning to end, and are not only two of the all time greatest arcs to ever come out of Shonen Jump, but also anime and manga in general. If we had made our list this year instead of last, I would have definitely pushed for one or both of them to be on there in as high a spot as possible. I am more excited than ever to see them animated. December 2nd can't come fast enough!