Bob's Burgers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 09, 2011, 08:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, I was on and off with the show for the first 2 seasons, but since 3 it's been great stuff.

I still prefer Archer, but I'm glad that both of these shows are kicking ass.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Haven't really watched the show much since season one (a few episodes here and there, all of which I've enjoyed), but I caught the insurance fraud and Gene getting stuck dating that blond girl episodes on AS tonight and thought they were both hilarious. The quality really does seem to have just gotten better and better.

"You... you were using me?"
"I prefer the term 'networking.'"

Daxdiv

So who saw the pony themed episode? I thought it was pretty nifty that they referenced bronies in a way. Well... that and the furry fandom... I kind of found the term "Equesticle" to be quite funny. Also, it wasn't as mean spirited as you would expect. They actually showed a bit of the good and the bad, though in this episode, the bad side was more about swindling a kid out of a collector's item.

Daikun

Daikun

Avaitor

I don't really know if there's a need for a feature of this. But the show is still pretty popular among 20-somethings, and if it focuses on the music, which is easily one of the most popular parts of the show, I think it could do a decent job of enticing fans to go to the big screen.

Even though I'm not a big Bob's Burgers fan, I'm glad that it's getting a feature before Family Guy. I don't think the world needs a 105 minute, uncensored version of that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I've grown weary of "Animated series is getting a movie" announcements. Like when Adventure Time was supposed to get a feature film, or Phineas and Ferb, or whatever. But if we actually get a Bob's Burgers film, that'll be fun.

Avaitor

True, I was just thinking about those. I'm not surprised that both of those movies fell through- they were announced right when they were starting to decline in popularity, and wouldn't be that marketable. But these movies rarely do that well to begin with, unless the cartoon is super popular.

New blog!

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on October 05, 2017, 01:47:11 PMTrue, I was just thinking about those. I'm not surprised that both of those movies fell through- they were announced right when they were starting to decline in popularity, and wouldn't be that marketable. But these movies rarely do that well to begin with, unless the cartoon is super popular.

That reminds me: How has the show been doing lately? I haven't watched the show in quite a few years. Has the show gone downhill, or is it still good?

I want to get back into this show, but I'm worried that the show might face the Fox curse of long-running cartoons where they dip in quality after a certain point. Has that happened yet for Bob's Burgers?

Avaitor

Quote from: Daikun on October 05, 2017, 03:22:45 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on October 05, 2017, 01:47:11 PMTrue, I was just thinking about those. I'm not surprised that both of those movies fell through- they were announced right when they were starting to decline in popularity, and wouldn't be that marketable. But these movies rarely do that well to begin with, unless the cartoon is super popular.

That reminds me: How has the show been doing lately? I haven't watched the show in quite a few years. Has the show gone downhill, or is it still good?

I want to get back into this show, but I'm worried that the show might face the Fox curse of long-running cartoons where they dip in quality after a certain point. Has that happened yet for Bob's Burgers?
Ratings-wise, while it's a little behind Simpsons and Family Guy, I think the show performs a lot stronger on streaming platform. It's very popular among my/our age group.

Quality-wise? I dunno, I haven't really seen it in a while. I think the show's alright, but I liken it to a vegan Archer or something. It can be good, but I prefer something with a little more of an edge.

New blog!

Dreamer2

Quote from: Daikun on October 05, 2017, 03:22:45 PM

As a giant fan and I mean GIANT fan of Bob's Burgers, I would say the quality as remained pretty consistent. There's a few mediocre episodes here and there, but I find on a second watch, most of the time I usually end up enjoying them way more than I thought I would. I've come to a point where I don't think I can call an episode of Bob's Burgers bad.

Avaitor brought up Archer and I find it interesting to compare the two. Both have ridiculously strong seasons 2-4. There are just so many amazing episodes for both shows. And while seasons five through seven + 1 episode of season 8 of Bob have like I said been pretty consistently good,  Archer's seasons 5-8 have for the most part disappointed me. Season 5 is much better after multiple watches  but 6-8 are just mediocre to bad, IMO. Archer seems to keep trying to change things up to keep things fresh I guess, but I think it's had the opposite effect. I think they should just go back to the formula that made it strong in the first place. Season 6 kind of tried that but it got held back by too much Archer/Lana and not enough of the other characters. Bob mostly just keeps doing what it does best. A funny show with plenty of heartwarming moments.

Sorry to go on an Archer rant comparison. If you want any recommendations for stand out episodes to test out to see if you want to get back in to the show, just let me know what seasons you haven't seen much or any of.

LumRanmaYasha

Like Avaitor, I like Bob's Burgers okay but it's too tame for my tastes. I generally like my animated comedies to have a bold anarchic spirit, a razor-sharp satirical edge, and creatively play with the medium and the kind of stories it can tell, and I find Bob's sense of humor pretty low-key and "safe" for lack of a better word. I'm kinda with you that Archer has been kinda hit and miss since season 5, but the show's cleverly reflexive scripts and its willingness to reinvent itself and change the status quo is more to my tastes. Though I'd be interested in a "best-of" list of Bob's Burgers episodes from seasons 6 and 7 since I stopped watching after season 5.

I'll likely watch the Bob's Burgers movie when/if it comes out since I like the show enough. After all, I haven't watched MLP since season 3 and I'll probably end up seeing the film anyway.

Dreamer2

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on October 06, 2017, 10:44:05 AMThough I'd be interested in a "best-of" list of Bob's Burgers episodes from seasons 6 and 7 since I stopped watching after season 5.

Ask and you shall receive:

"Gayle Makin' Bob Sled"
"The Gene and Courtney Show"
"House of 1000 Bounces"
"Stand by Gene"
"The Hormone-iums"
"Glued, Where's My Bob" (This is one of the one's I nominated for the tournament)
"Sea Me Now"
"The Quirkducers"
"The Last Gingerbread House on the Left"
"Bob Actually"
"Eggs for Days"
"Thelma & Louise Except Thelma is Linda"
"Paraders of the Lost Float"

There are other really good episodes, but these are probably my favorites from seasons 6 and 7. And some (or maybe all) might not be to your tastes, but I think they are pretty much all really good at making me laugh and care about these characters.
And that's all I really need.

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks! I'll check these out sometime. I do like the show, but I'm not invested enough to keep up with it. Knowing which episodes to prioritize watching helps.

Foggle

I like what I've seen of Bob's Burgers but I've never really kept up with the show (I would like to watch all of it eventually, though). As for Archer, I have yet to watch the two newest seasons for some reason (not out of lack of interest; it's my favorite sitcom!), but I thought 5 and 6 were still plenty enjoyable, though definitely weaker than 1-4.