The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa

Started by Nameless, April 21, 2015, 03:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nameless

So for some reason I've been watching some episodes of this show, and although I don't remember particularly liking it as a kid, it's apparent to me time has been pretty brutal to it. The animation is pretty cheap-looking (it doesn't help that the designs are the ones from the movie with almost no modification), the show loves backgrounds that are full of garish colors that clash with each other, and most of all, it's not all that funny. It feels like watered-down Warner Bros., channeled through a setting and source material unamenable to that style of humor. And anything appealing about Timon was beaten out of him. Thankfully, the guys behind it (Tony Craig and Roberts Gannaway) got better with each subsequent show (101 Dalmatians: The Series doesn't have a lot of fans, has little to do with its source material, and frequently suffers from subpar animation, but the well-animated episodes are very nice to look at and the writing is a step or two up from this...and I have fond memories of the cartoons from Mickey Mouse Works. Don't know why that got retooled into House of Mouse, I never liked sitting through the nightclub segments)

Avaitor

I can't agree with you on House of Mouse. I liked the Mickey Mouseworks shorts, but I really stuck around for the nightclub interactions between the Disney characters. I still want to see a revival of it, but I'm not sure how well the CG characters would translate to hand-drawn, or vice-versa. And I would really prefer to not have the characters done in flash.

But Timon & Pumbaa wasn't a very good show. It was basically just Ren & Stimpy with the characters subbed in, give or take other Lion King guys on the odd occasion. The show did have its moments, but this was when the Disney Afternoon was losing its charm.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The latter days of TDA was filled with shows trying to be boring sitcoms or R&S lite and it's what killed the block. Timon & Pumbaa epitomized the Ren & Stimpy style that everyone was well sick of at the time.

But say what you want about the animation, it beats some of their modern shows. Have you seen that Penn Zero show? That has to be some of the worst animation I've ever seen in a Disney show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

That's just what we needed. A full show dedicated to Timon and Pumbaa. :srs: