DC Super Hero Girls

Started by Daikun, April 22, 2015, 09:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I'd like one Shayera Hal series to go, please. :el_hail:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

I blogged about this yesterday, so rather than make like a parrot I'll just post a link.

http://thetwinfactor.com/2015/04/23/peeks-dc-super-hero-girls/

Quote from: Cartoon Xwhy make Wonder Woman a teenager? Couldn't they just have used a Wonder Girl?

I wondered that as well. Last year I was at a Five Below store and I saw these lip gloss and other girl's cosmetic products with DC heroines on them; it was called DC Comics Girls (which automatically irked my inner word nerd: DC stands for 'Detective Comics', so when you say 'DC Comics' you're saying 'Detective Comics Comics'--don't do that) anyway, the characters on the packaging were Supergirl, Batgirl and Wonder Woman. I remember thinking that very thing: "Why Wonder Woman and not Wonder Girl? Why not use Wondy's teenage counterpart, it's not like she doesn't have one."

The only reason I can muster is that maybe DC felt that Wonder Woman is more iconic and more people would know her as opposed to Wonder Girl, though that didn't stop Lauren Faust for using Wonder Girl in her "Super Best Friends Forever" shorts.

Also, congrats on 8800 posts, Foggle.  :)
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 22, 2015, 10:06:46 PM
They're making Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy super heroes in this series? That's...a strange decision, to say the least. There had to have been other actual heroes they could have used to fill the roster. And why make Wonder Woman a teenager? Couldn't they just have used a Wonder Girl?

I don't think that Harley and Ivy are going to be re-made as heroes. Most likely that picture just means that they'll be included in the franchise/toy line. Given that DC Super Hero Girls is supposed to take place early in the characters' careers, Ivy and Harley could just be annoying pranksters here instead of full on villains.

As to why DC is going with a teenage Wonder Woman instead of Wonder Girl, I honestly don't know. Maybe it's an ownership thing, but I kind of doubt that.

I'm a little disappointed that we won't be getting Miss Martian or Starfire, but perhaps one of them will show up in the 2nd wave. Now that I think about it, Star and Raven are likely off limits because those characters are already appearing on Teen Titans GO! DC doesn't like having different versions of the same characters appearing on separate shows simultaneously.

No doubt Bumblebee and Katana are there for ethnic diversity,and I have no problem with that. Katana is a pretty obscure DC character and I haven't heard anyone demanding to see more of her.  Personally, I would have gone with Vixen as the African American instead of Bumblebee, but that's me.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

gunswordfist

Vixen is getting her own animated web series series in Fall. I see no problem with DC pushing a little known character in Katana. If anything, they need to do that much much more instead.

I wonder if Bumblebee being in this means she won't show up in Teen Titans Go! anymore.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

The website is up. There's also an Instagram account.

Expect web shorts to start in the Fall.

Daikun

Daikun

It's coming to Boomerang.

Well, that's a surprise. I thought it'd be online only.

Daikun

Daikun

Lauren Faust has her own version coming later this year, and it's getting a major overhaul.