The Death of Konami

Started by Daikun, April 27, 2015, 08:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 27, 2015, 01:06:55 PMWhere's the Death Of Konami thread? They have to be doing worse than Capcom at this point.

Here you go! :happytime:

So, some news relating to this story:

Konami delisted from NYSE.

Kojima vs. Konami

gunswordfist

;D *clicks Kojima vs. Konami*
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

What do all these series have in common?

They're all dead.

Goodbye, Konami. If you can't succeed with IPs like this, then you shouldn't be in the industry. Extra hate points for dragging Hudson down with you.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

At least Capcom seem to be improving, and in their case I hope they turn things around. I've never cared about Konami since the NES days ended. MGS and Silent Hill were the only things holding them up, and their utter laziness with their numerous catalog of games is why I don't really care if they somehow crumbled (so long as their IPs went somewhere good). They apparently own a lot of slot machines and pachinko games (and I think they still produce certain animes if I'm not mistaken), so I don't think they'll ever completely fall.  :immad:  :bleh:

Foggle

Konami and Sega are actually both doing quite well financially because of pachinko and such. They're only incompetent at publishing video games.

Spark Of Spirit

That's why their video game arm is going to be shut down.

And well it should. It's well earned.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Peanutbutter on April 27, 2015, 09:39:30 PM
At least Capcom seem to be improving
Sums up what I wanted to say in Survival Horror but forgot to.

talonmalon333

At least Capcom has Ace Attorney.

Peanutbutter

Resident Evil too, now that we have the Revelations series. 2 was even better than the first game which was already good.

gunswordfist

*waits for Foggle to tackle Peanutbutter*

talonmalon333

How many developers are dead now, anyway? It seems like a lot.

gunswordfist

Spark's going to tell you in 3..2..1..

Spark Of Spirit

Studios the HD generation buried.

But that isn't Konami's (or Capcom's, or Square Enix's) problem. Their problem comes from a total lack of direction and respect for their IPs or fanbases. Square-Enix seems to be turning around, and Capcom seems to be flailing in the wind, but Konami has mismanaged every single IP of theirs (that's not Metal Gear) since the PS2 generation ended.

gunswordfist

I think Square-Enix is a good publisher. In fact, one of the better ones these days. They just happen to be good at producing everything except JRPGs, it seems. :D

Foggle

Quote from: http://jin115.com/archives/52080348.htmlOur main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."
QuoteWe saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before.
QuoteGaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies.
QuoteWe hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too.
QuoteWith multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world.