The Death of Konami

Started by Daikun, April 27, 2015, 08:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on July 07, 2015, 05:19:54 PM
Konami demands that Kojima not be mentioned in interviews.

Is there a another source besides Angry Joe? I don't love or hate the guy, but a number of people here aren't big fans of him I don't think. Regardless, we need a printed source.

Spark Of Spirit

That reminds me... did they ever add his name back to the print advertisements?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Since it seems like no other interviewers have asked them about the Kojima thing recently (and I'm sure most would, under normal circumstances), I'm inclined to believe Angry Joe.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 07, 2015, 06:40:54 PM
That reminds me... did they ever add his name back to the print advertisements?
I don't think so. Also, the Kojima Productions logo is still in the game, but apparently it "might" be removed before release.

talonmalon333

Seriously... what happened? What went down between Konami and Kojima?

Foggle

I have a feeling that Phantom Pain went enormously over budget, and that Kojima outright refused to do any more Metal Gear games after its release. I doubt Konami would have taken well to either of those things.

talonmalon333

The thing is, Konami seems to be so against Kojima lately, it almost seems personal. :P

Foggle

Well, if he really did spend 7 years working on a single game while using up more of their funds than they were comfortable allowing in the process, then refused to continue pumping out installments in their only money-making franchise, I can kind of understand their point of view.

But it's shortsighted. No matter how much money was spent on it, MGS5 is bound to become one of the most critically and commercially successful games of all time. And Kojima's name alone sells games by the truckload, especially in the west. They could have had their cake and eaten it too if they'd let him stick around for Silent Hills while simultaneously farming out endless MGS sequels to some shitty 3rd party development studio.

Spark Of Spirit

Konami is looking for an excuse to dump their traditional gaming division. It's dead weight and isn't profitable enough. Get rid of Kojima and that's it for the traditional gaming division. Anything else is just an excuse to finally cut him loose and scrap the whole thing. No one else is left there.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Kojima Productions has disbanded.

That's it. We've reached end game.

Spark Of Spirit

Konami got exactly what they wanted.

Now if only they'd sell off their IPs then we'd never have to hear their name again.

Rynnec

Sad thing is I can see them keeping some of their old IP's and reviving them...as pachinko games.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

They could have sold off their IPs and made a ton of money a long time ago if they wanted. It really does feel like they want to screw the fans of their games division over. Who runs Konami anyway?

Daikun