"Avengers: Age of Ultron" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, April 30, 2015, 11:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I thought I would hate Captain America before I watched his films. I figured he would be jingoistic and uninteresting, and The Avengers (which I saw first) didn't really do anything to change my opinion.

I was very wrong. Best non-Guardians character in the MCU IMO. Falcon and Black Widow (Winter Soldier only) come close.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, I think that his character comes off much better in The Avengers after seeing The First Avenger. Out of context, he would just seem like a prick who hates modern society and can't accept the modern world. In-context, it's brilliant character development, as he's clearly struggling to adjust to the fact that he's been completely removed from the world that he knew, and most of the people that he cared about have been dead for years, so he's really alone at the beginning of the movie. The key thing is that he's trying to cope with the situation, and no matter what he will never refuse to help other people.

Also, The First Avenger is directed by the guy who made The Rocketeer, and that's a fucking awesome movie that more people need to see. ;D

On another note, my favorite version of the character is in AEMH, just like how my favorite version of Spider-Man is in TSSM.

Avaitor

Cap still isn't my personal favorite, but he does easily have the most consistent solo films.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

But you have to at least admit, Captain America has a way better theme song than any of the other Avengers: http://youtu.be/cVU4HURKEXs

Kiddington

Saw it last night; it was cool. I mean yeah, I guess I can see what people didn't like about it, but some of the criticism was just so absurdly overblown (this is far from being as bad as it was made out to be). Most importantly, it was fun to watch. For me, when it comes to these kinds of movies, that's priority numero uno.

I think I might still like the first one more, but with repeated viewings of this that could probably change. Surprisingly lost in all of this was how solid the humor was; "don't touch my pile" was definitely funnier to me than it should've been.

Quote from: Avaitor on May 08, 2015, 11:20:04 AM
Cap still isn't my personal favorite, but he does easily have the most consistent solo films.

Man, I still want a solo Mark Ruffalo Hulk. Is that wrong?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd like one as well, but I recall Mark Ruffalo saying that he didn't want to do a solo film because he felt that the character was more interesting when interacting with the other heroes.

Personally, I could totally see a Planet Hulk movie working, myself.

Avaitor

No, I want one, too. I do hope that Thunderbolt Ross' inclusion in Civil War hints at Hulk getting more to do in between Avengers films, at least.

Oh, and I found this pretty cool rebuttal of the Black Widow controversy from the film. I agree with a lot of her points, personally.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I am open to agreeing with many criticisms of the film, I can't help but feel that the author of that article is highly overreacting to this one movie. I mean, stating that Marvel is killing popcorn movies and that they don't care about their fanbase anymore? Does the fact that their two films from last year were both excellent examples of good popcorn flicks not count anymore for some reason?

And calling the first Avengers a stone-cold classic is, to me, giving that film way too much of a pass on some of its own failings. I've seen other people who dislike the movie give their criticisms and I actually agree with quite a bit of it; it's just that personally those things don't bother me as much as it does for them, and I also find various things that I love about the film. However, I just don't buy into these over-dramatic reaction articles that basically amount to nothing more than saying: "I hated this one movie, so now Marvel movies suck and they have destroyed cinema."

Such arguments hold no weight to them. Especially looking at last year, which saw the release of plenty of good non-Marvel popcorn flicks, such as Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Edge of Tomorrow, and John Wick, to name a few.

As for the bit about the movies being formulaic, I agree with that, but that isn't exactly exclusive to Marvel. You could apply what the author said to numerous non-comic-book popcorn movies as well. It might not involve a superhero, but it's the same concept of good guy vs. bad guy.

The stuff about character arcs is something that I can't really address, myself, until I at least see the film a second time and can analyze it a bit better.

Regardless, I still strongly stand by my opinion that this is a flawed movie, but a superior experience to the original and a solid movie in its own right.

talonmalon333

I saw Age of Ultron today. It was fun. I didn't like it as much as the first movie, which I found to be more fun. But it was good.

Spark Of Spirit

A bunch of us rewatched this on New Year's.

Even better the second time around. I stand by my initial impressions.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

This guy takes on Cinema Sins' video of Age of Ultron and in the process dismantles a lot of the ridiculous criticism of the film others have made since it came out.

Yes, there were legitimate faults, he even points out some in this very video, but it really goes to show how so many people overdid their hate due to their overblown praise of the original movie. The original movie was not a perfect film.

Is Age of Ultron a perfect movie? No. But it's also not a mess, or incomprehensible. The backlash it got was totally unnecessary.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

If anyone takes Cinema Sins seriously, I can't take them seriously.

Foggle

I didn't like the movie at all, but Cinema Sins is complete garbage.