Tangled

Started by Avaitor, June 03, 2015, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Too lazy to think of the right thread to post this in. Instead, let's talk about this here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nameless

Figures that with Disney's franchise-mania of late they'd bring back "The Series".

Daikun

Daikun

Series trailer, now with a new title!

EDIT: Turns out that title is just the episode name for the pilot, not the series.

Avaitor

Oh yeah, I got to watch the premiere movie last night. I have to admit, Tangled isn't one of my personal favorites (I was more into it when the movie first came out, but I feel that Disney has been on such a high since then that it feels kind of average in comparison), but it's my girlfriend's favorite anything, so if it's important to her, it's important to me, too. And I thought that it was a nice premiere. I liked the antagonist that we got, who seems like a fun foil, and I similarly enjoy Cassandra, as well.

I'm less hot on Rapunzel hiding things from Flynn, and the king's overbearing nature. I'd be more understanding of the latter if Rapunzel was a little younger, but she's 18, and he barely knows her. The animation's also a little choppy in places, but I've learned to not put too much stock into TV animation at this point. I think that much of this comes from flaws with the characters, rather than the story, so I can't complain too much. TV adaptations of Disney's films are never very special, but I think that I'll still stick around, anyway. It's been long enough that they've done one that isn't for pre-schoolers, so maybe they'll get it right this time.

The thing that I liked best about the original are Rapunzel and Flynn themselves, so getting to spend more time with them is very nice. And it's my big push for staying around, besides having something to talk about with my gf.

Also,
Spoiler
I don't know if I want more of Mother Gothel. That was... yeah.
[close]
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dreamer2

Tangled is probably my favorite Disney film. Something just clicked and I've loved it ever since. This premiere movie was entertaining and I'm looking forward to more. Humor was pretty spot on throughout as well.

As for the above spoiler:

Spoiler
I'd be cool with Gothel returning. I think she's a pretty good Disney villain. And if Jafar can return, why can't she. Of course she supposedly died, but still.
[close]

Peanutbutter

Saw the premiere with my mom, who loves Tangled and also loved this. She was a little confused by it being a pilot for a sequel series.

I really loved the pilot movie. Cassandra doesn't get a real introduction, she's just right there when the show starts but man was she great. I was very afraid she was going to turn out to be Lady Kane, but was very relieved they didn't pull that twist. My mom even thought she'd be evil and she usually predicts things accurately in TV shows. I enjoy Cassandra's quips at Flynn, and her friendship with Rapunzel which felt genuine despite not knowing for sure how long she's been her handmaiden. Not too big a fan of her calling Rapunzel "Raps" though, couldn't help finding that a bit cringey.

With Lady Kane, I liked that her reveal was built up to a bit by her henchman hyping her up. I'm not sure it was necessary to give her backstory twice, but it did succeed in making her motives understandable and partially sympathetic.

I'm happy Rapunzel's parents have actual names as well as lines. Clancy Brown as King Frederic gave a good performance in his opening scene. I look forward to hearing more karaoke from Lex Luthor. :D Pascal had some funny moments in this, but I really enjoyed Maximus' interaction with the guards. I'd forgotten that's he's their Captain. I think that will make for comedic gold down the line.

The best part of the show like the movie though are the heroes. Flynn, or rather Eugene since even he doesn't call himself that anymore, was hilarious with the same soft-spoken sarcastic wit as always. His jitteriness over proposing to Rapunzel and later awkwardness from slowing things down until Rapunzel could get used to being a princess fleshed him out. I also loved how human Rapunzel's moments in meeting the kingdom's known aristocracy were. Pretty relatable and realistic given her upbringing. I couldn't be happier with Zach Levi and Mandy Moore reprising their roles.

I can't agree with Avaitor about the animation being choppy. I found it to be fluid throughout. I can see it taking a bit for others to get used to the show's art styling though. The only major thing I don't like about the show so far is how unnecessary it feels to me for this to be placed before the short movie of their marriage. I just feel like this show could start right off of it and it wouldn't be that different but oh well.

Avaitor

Are you guys still keeping up with the show? I haven't been that into it so far. Part of it is that the new characters aren't really doing anything for me yet. The queen is nice when we get to her, but she doesn't have much in the way of personality. But I still prefer her to the overbearing king, and Cassandra, whose distrust of Flynn I find to be annoying. The lesser characters we've met so far have also been unimpressive. I'm also not a fan of the aesthetic, the background music especially sounding like the most generic cartoon soundtrack you can think of.

I also had mixed feelings on this week's episode, where Rapunzel deals with a candy shop owner who dislikes her. On the one hand, I think it's a good lesson for kids to show that not everyone will like you, and that's okay. Life is just like that. But Recess did a similar episode way back when, and I think it did a better job, since the kid who didn't like TJ had no reason to at all. He just didn't. That's another great thing to address- sometimes you just don't like someone or something and have no real reason to, even if a lot of other people do. It's not the most pleasant feeling, but it exists, and it's good to respect.

While I do appreciate that the candy shop guy had legitimate reasons to dislike Rapunzel, I don't think the payoff was terrific, and the earlier part of the episode made it hard to root for her. It was just kind of awkward.

But hey Rapunzel and Flynn are still fun regardless. I like the show when they're together.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Been a bit busy the last couple weeks with personal stuff, like my birthday last Wednesday and being out with my brother whose done with the Navy. I just now saw the second episode. I thought the episode was ok, but I don't get the need for the "not everyone will like you" trope. I can see why some think that's a good message for kids but it doesn't necessarily make for a compelling plot in an adventure series. A show like Recess or The Weekenders doing I can understand, but it doesn't quite mesh with the type of show Tangled has been. I did like the twist with old man Monty being beloved by everyone in the kingdom, so at least the show did something interesting with the formula. Otherwise it was an average episode.

I did really like Valerian from the first episode. He's a pretty cool and interesting character that I hope is recurring. I'll give my thoughts on the other episodes through this week after I watch them. Really hope Lady Kane appears soon since I know she isn't in the next two.

Avaitor

It does seem like an odd choice for a moral considering the kind of show this is, yeah. It's especially kind of weird since I didn't think that Disney would like the idea of someone who isn't a bad guy dislike Rapunzel, but then again, the show has this habit of making her and/or Flynn become kind of unlikable at times.

The show definitely has its moments, but it's not really my thing. I guess part of me is over moral of the week stories, since I'm not a kid anymore, but I should not have expected anything else from this show. It's about on par with the Aladdin or Little Mermaid shows, maybe a little better- if you really like the characters and want more adventures with them, you'll get some enjoyment out of this show. If not, it's standard kids stuff. Not bad, but nothing too special.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

I think they've been a little flawed, but not unlikable. Rapunzel tried to reach an understanding with Monty, and Eugene even tried to better himself by getting a job in the last episode I saw.