Nickelodeon's Live Action

Started by Commode, January 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I haven't watched yet, but everything I'm hearing makes Pop Arena's revelation about Roger Price in the YCDTOTV video sound almost tame in comparison.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Now that you mention it, I was listening to a podcast a month ago where the hosts were talking about The Tomorrow People (Roger Price's other show), and they kept saying how skeevy it was to watch the series now because it was an open secret among TTP fans that Price had a thing for boys.

Also saw Quinton complain about the bad editing of it all on Twitter, and I don't think the guy who makes 8-hour video essays that go off into random tangents about Nick.com flash games or tie-in merch can complain about editing here.

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

I'm not sure why they tricked him into showing up in the first place. He never worked on any of Schneider's shows, and I can't recall any particularly scandalous Double Dare stories behind the scenes, let alone any that involved children.

Daikun

The fifth episode of Quiet on Set has aired and is now streaming on Max.

Avaitor

On the one hand, it's a good thing that this documentary has brought to light as many of the revelations that it has, and it's proven that while Schneider was an undeniably negative influence on the channel, he was not alone nor the worst offender. I'm glad that it's allowed people who were wanting to share their stories to do so.

On the other, it's clearly an exploitative doc, and I don't like how Amanda Bynes and Jenette McCurdy had their footage included without their consent. I also am not a fan of how this has helped Drake Bell receive a redemption arc. His story is tragic and he is a victim, but he's not innocent himself and I'm seeing too many people bring up his bravery while ignoring his own credible allegations.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, while I feel bad for him as a kid, it's not any excuse for his recent behavior. I saw on his Twitter he's been spamming pump-n-dump crypto scams nonstop ever since the documentary came out. He can't find other ways to make money fast? I even heard theories the reason the series was so soft on Drake and did little to investigate his later life was because without him and his Peck story, the series wouldn't have a core thesis beyond a few scattered behind-the-scenes stories and rerunning the same innuendo clips ad nauseam.

Having similar thoughts about Nikolas too. Yeah, getting bullied by Jamie Lee Spears and the rest of the cast as a kid while Schneider didn't lift a finger was probably a traumatizing experience. And I've read enough that she's probably right that most of the Zoey 101 cast were assholes. But then I see her randomly hounding the Ned's Declassified cast, Christy Carlson Romano, or people who've never worked on Nick for shit that's only tangentially connected to her activism, while marketing T-shirts, and it's getting tacky. I get wanting to take back the trauma and make it a healing experience, but that's not from shilling merch or releasing music videos coming out on the same day an episode comes out. Not everything needs to be a side-hustle.

I haven't even watched the extra episode they released a few weeks ago, since I haven't heard any new information that came out of it.