Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

So I got bored the other day and checked out all of the past winners for TV Land's award show tihngy. Apparently they have, or had, a future classic award, and looking at the recipients made me laugh. There's a lot of interesting choices for what will eventually be considered a classic, and here they are-

2003- American Dreams

Uh, who the hell ever talks about this show before? Actually, I can't think of too many people who ever did in the first place. And all I remember was that John Mayer played Clapton in an episode. Really weak choice here.

2004- Arrested Development

Much better choice. Sadly all the awards in the world couldn't save the show during its original run (maybe if it was on NBC it could've), but even if it's not a favorite of mine, time has been kind to AD and will continue to. Unless the new season and movie really suck.

2005- Desperate Housewives

...really? I mean, I remember the show being well-received during the first 2 seasons, but it seems all but forgotten now. If it was particularly good, I could understand the accolade and why it's been on for so long, but this is just another soap opera with a corny sense of humor.

2006- Grey's Anatomy

I'm not so sure. The show does still seem to have some amount of popularity years later and has had success for most people involved, but as a medical show, it isn't as likable as ER in its earlier run or as accurate as Scrubs (isn't that a scary thought), and there's a little too much estrogen fueling it to make the show hold up for male viewers. It isn't my thing, but I will at least give it credit for not turning into a revolving door series yet. Plus Demi was really good in her episode.

2007- Heroes

Oh god no. This is the key example of a show with a deadly sophomore slump, where it turns so bad after a solid first season that you realize that they had no idea what they were doing to begin with. If they went with Lost, they would've had something, but Heroes? No.

2008- The Office

I'm not a fan, but I can see where they're coming from by picking the show. I still think that Scrubs is where most if not all modern comedies come from, but The Office will probably be just as remembered in the years to come, plus it was partially responsible for Parks and Rec and Modern Family, which it deserves credit for. I also like how they gave the award to a show that wasn't just a season in.

2009- Two and a Half Men

Okay, as much as it sucks to admit it, in 10 or 20 years, this will probably be considered a classic sitcom. It's too popular now to be forgotten so soon and it's already making a killing in syndication. Expect to see it on TV Land and Nick@Nite in a few years after it ends.

I will say though, that this year NPH hosted the awards. And that they should have given the award to another CBS comedy instead.

2010- Glee

Oh god, I sure hope it's not considered a classic. And while the show has made enough of a dent in pop culture to possibly go in that route, it also has had a major drop in quality since the first season that has been affecting its popularity ever since, and could also affect its likelihood of being fondly remembered by many.

There wasn't any inductees last year, and idk if there will be one this year. But it sure makes you think.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I have El Chavo on the TV right now. Three years of Spanish suddenly coming back to me.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 16, 2012, 02:40:38 PM
So I got bored the other day and checked out all of the past winners for TV Land's award show tihngy. Apparently they have, or had, a future classic award, and looking at the recipients made me laugh. There's a lot of interesting choices for what will eventually be considered a classic, and here they are-

2003- American Dreams

Uh, who the hell ever talks about this show before? Actually, I can't think of too many people who ever did in the first place. And all I remember was that John Mayer played Clapton in an episode. Really weak choice here.

2004- Arrested Development

Much better choice. Sadly all the awards in the world couldn't save the show during its original run (maybe if it was on NBC it could've), but even if it's not a favorite of mine, time has been kind to AD and will continue to. Unless the new season and movie really suck.

2005- Desperate Housewives

...really? I mean, I remember the show being well-received during the first 2 seasons, but it seems all but forgotten now. If it was particularly good, I could understand the accolade and why it's been on for so long, but this is just another soap opera with a corny sense of humor.

2006- Grey's Anatomy

I'm not so sure. The show does still seem to have some amount of popularity years later and has had success for most people involved, but as a medical show, it isn't as likable as ER in its earlier run or as accurate as Scrubs (isn't that a scary thought), and there's a little too much estrogen fueling it to make the show hold up for male viewers. It isn't my thing, but I will at least give it credit for not turning into a revolving door series yet. Plus Demi was really good in her episode.

2007- Heroes

Oh god no. This is the key example of a show with a deadly sophomore slump, where it turns so bad after a solid first season that you realize that they had no idea what they were doing to begin with. If they went with Lost, they would've had something, but Heroes? No.

2008- The Office

I'm not a fan, but I can see where they're coming from by picking the show. I still think that Scrubs is where most if not all modern comedies come from, but The Office will probably be just as remembered in the years to come, plus it was partially responsible for Parks and Rec and Modern Family, which it deserves credit for. I also like how they gave the award to a show that wasn't just a season in.

2009- Two and a Half Men

Okay, as much as it sucks to admit it, in 10 or 20 years, this will probably be considered a classic sitcom. It's too popular now to be forgotten so soon and it's already making a killing in syndication. Expect to see it on TV Land and Nick@Nite in a few years after it ends.

I will say though, that this year NPH hosted the awards. And that they should have given the award to another CBS comedy instead.

2010- Glee

Oh god, I sure hope it's not considered a classic. And while the show has made enough of a dent in pop culture to possibly go in that route, it also has had a major drop in quality since the first season that has been affecting its popularity ever since, and could also affect its likelihood of being fondly remembered by many.

There wasn't any inductees last year, and idk if there will be one this year. But it sure makes you think.
The 2000s really blew for live action TV if those are the best shows in their respective years.

Also, Grey's Anatomy is just a soap opera with a bigger budget.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Award Ceremonies don't know shit about good 2000s TV. After all, THE WIRE. Never got a single Emmy.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 04:16:30 PM
Eh, you can say that about any network drama that isn't a crime show or sci-fi/mystery/adventure serial though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

I've never even heard of American Dreams (goggling it gave me a good chuckle, though; some of these casting choices for historical musical figures are downright laughable). What does that say about me, or for that matter, what does that say about TV Land for awarding something to such a nondescript series?

The only two on that list I agree with are AD and The Office. Heroes had a good thing going for itself, but they screwed it up so badly in the end that it's hard to even take the good portions of it seriously now. You know how I feel about Two and a Half Men. My mom likes Desperate Housewives, but I've never seen much of it myself. I watched Grey's Anatomy once, and Sandra Oh's character was being such an annoying bitch, I couldn't stand it (the whole thing just oozes way too much estrogen for me anyway, though). And Glee... I really have nothing to say about Glee anymore. It's one of the worst things on TV, and I seriously wish it would just go away.

So yeah, 2/8 (for me, anyway). Maybe it's a good thing that they discontinued this award in 2011, eh?  :humhumhum:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 20, 2012, 04:33:23 PM
Eh, you can say that about any network drama that isn't a crime show or sci-fi/mystery/adventure serial though.
Do those shows have characters named McDreamy or McSteamy?  :unimpressed:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 04:36:28 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on April 20, 2012, 04:33:23 PM
Do those shows have characters named McDreamy or McSteamy?  :unimpressed:
No, but Gilmore Girls had Melissa McCarthy. Is that any better?

New blog!

Angus

Heroes? Really? They're just finding an excuse to snub Lost.

Grey's Anatomy? *snore*
Desperate Housewives? *snore* Even Sex and the City is more classic than that.

How could they forget Monk?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

I've been watching My Name Is Earl on Netflix. I didn't see much of this when it was on, but a friend coerced me into watching more.

I like! The show clearly has a lot of heart put into it.

Commode

I like the show, it's got some "eh" moments in it, and I never saw the end, but it's good.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

Early seasons are great, middle ones are average at best, never saw the later ones.

Avaitor

I like that Earl wore a "Can I Play With Madness" tee, even if it is one of my least favorite Maiden singles.

But I think it got way too gimmicky as it went along, like with the whole Earl in a coma storyarc.

New blog!

Daxdiv

I remember not following the show sometime after Earl got out of prison. I forgot why I didn't follow it after that, since I did enjoy it since it almost was like Shawshank Redemption in a way in that Earl helps a warden out with his problems around the prison.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still in season 1, but so far I've really enjoyed it. I kinda felt bad for his dad in the mayor episode until he rejected Earl after getting nominated. The ending made up for that, though.