Author Topic: Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?  (Read 36591 times)

Foggle

• The dude who runs this joint, more or less
  • The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • Email
Re: Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?
« Reply #795 on: February 08, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »
I have a question- is The Return worth watching if you don't like the original Twin Peaks?
Do you like David Lynch's movies? More specifically, do you like Fire Walk With Me? If not, you should probably give it a pass.

Maybe? The Return does expect you to watch the original show though in order to understand the plot, so that might be tough.
Yeah, it won't make much sense unless you're familiar with the original series. You can skip the whole lame filler part in season 2 at least.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: February 08, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
I have a question- is The Return worth watching if you don't like the original Twin Peaks?
Do you like David Lynch's movies? More specifically, do you like Fire Walk With Me? If not, you should probably give it a pass.
Kind of. I like his earlier short films, Eraserhead, and Elephant Man. And I'm hit or miss on Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive and The Straight Story. I recently saw Lost Highway, and I thought it was bullshit. I haven't done Fire Walk With Me yet. I do intend to, but I wanted to finish season 2 first, but I can't. Super Nadine is the worst thing ever.

My problem with the original series is that I think it tries so hard to be weird that it actually ends up being kind of boring. Very little of it works for me, with the soap opera satire being a particular lowlight. I've tried on two different occasions, but it's just not my thing.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

• The dude who runs this joint, more or less
  • The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: February 08, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »
It's important to remember that David Lynch and Mark Frost had pretty much nothing to do with the original series after Laura's killer was apprehended (except for the series finale). Aside from introducing Super Nadine (who doesn't do much until the filler section), I don't think the show tried too hard to be weird until after they left. There's a certain naturalness to the bizarre mannerisms of characters like Dale and Jacoby that I think comes with the territory of Lynch's writing. I totally understand if you don't enjoy it but it's way different from something like Ben Horne's Civil War phase IMO.

If you liked Eraserhead you might like FWWM and The Return. I'd say the former feels very similar to his earlier work and the latter feels like a culmination of everything he's made to date.