"Ask a Cat" now on GoComics!

Started by Mr. Big, June 22, 2015, 03:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

Back in December, I started "Ask a Cat" as a joke between some of my online friends. The idea being what it would be like if you write a letter to a cartoon cat, and they respond?

It was meant to be a one-time joke thing, but I kept getting questions, and I kept drawing. I eventually drew enough to put together a small booklet, which was a big hit in comic conventions.

I also sent them around to publishers. Universal Uclick, home of "Phoebe and Her Unicorn", "Garfield", "Calvin and Hobbes" and more, expressed interest in running it on their GoComics website. Well, it's finally starting today.

I will put out 3 strips a week (Mon, Wed, Fri)

http://www.gocomics.com/ask-a-cat

Initially, I'm going to post older strips, but new ones will appear once the backlog runs out.

Of course, I'm going to need questions to keep the strip going. Feel free to send as many as you'd like to goaskthecat@gmail.com

Daikun

Foggle

That's awesome! Great work, man! :joy:

The Shadow Gentleman

gunswordfist

That is incredible! Keep on shooting for the moon. :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

That's fantastic, man! You've come a long way!  :)

Micki!

A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Mr. Big

Just want to say thanks for the support! You guys rock!

Daikun

Have you received any questions yet?

Mr. Big

A few, but not many. I'm hoping they'll start coming in once more strips run.

Micki!

Sent the kitty an ask, let's see where this is going  :il_hahaha:
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Mr. Big

Got it! Thanks!

At the moment, I gained 402 subscribers in less than week. Let's see how much bigger it'll get.

Mr. Big

Welp, I have 527 subscribers now. That's good, I hope.

People may notice that "Cat" is in rerun mode now. Since I literally got hundreds of new readers, I figured it'd be best to have them catch up. Also an easy way for me to be ahead of deadline (I'm drawing October strips now, for example). New, never-before-seen strips, will resume on September 2nd. Here's a sneak peek:

As for today's strip on GoComics, it's my take on the 1978 Disney movie "The Cat From Outer Space".

While researching the film, I learned that cartoonist Ted Key wrote the screenplay. Ted Key was the creator of "Hazel", a comic about a snarky maid (later a basis of a live-action sitcom in the 1960s), and "Peabody's Improbable History", which ran in the middle of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" (and later turned into a movie "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" by Dreamworks).

So naturally, I had to feature cameos of them in the final panel.

Mr. Big

So I've drawn enough "Ask a Cat" strips to warrant a book collection. I decided to start a Kickstarter to fund the printing of it. A 128 page paperback!

Check it out here!

Mr. Big

Dang, the campaign's doing pretty well! As I write this, over 22% has been funded.

Be sure to check out the campaign here!