Ace Attorney

Started by talonmalon333, June 30, 2015, 07:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

By the way, Spark, how come you recommended Foggle pass on the Wii version of the trilogy and instead wait?

Spark Of Spirit

Because it's apparently not the best version of the games. Plus, the first game doesn't have case 5 which is a pretty big flaw.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 28, 2015, 03:00:10 PM
Because it's apparently not the best version of the games. Plus, the first game doesn't have case 5 which is a pretty big flaw.

According to what I read, the fifth case can be downloaded separately. Kind of a cheap move for them to pull, but it is playable.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 28, 2015, 10:05:31 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 28, 2015, 03:00:10 PM

According to what I read, the fifth case can be downloaded separately. Kind of a cheap move for them to pull, but it is playable.
That said, I think Foggle would prefer getting a full game over being nickle and dimed instead.

But whatever, that's up to him.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I'll wait a bit and see if they do a Wii U port. If they don't, I'll get the 3DS version. :)

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 28, 2015, 10:08:47 PM
That said, I think Foggle would prefer getting a full game over being nickle and dimed instead.

Especially since, if what you say is true, the Wii version isn't even as good, which I'm almost surprised about considering it could have really taken advantage of the Wii's motion controls to take the place of touch controls pretty well.

talonmalon333

Think they'll ever top the original or Trials and Tribulations?

Spark Of Spirit

I think they would need Shu Takumi writing to do that. He still hasn't expressed interest in writing another AA game since T&T came out.

On the other hand, they would need to push harder to reach his highs. For better or for worse, every AA game since T&T has been fairly standalone. T&T was so great because there was a lot of build up for it, but they can't do that with any newer games because they simply don't have enough build up to do that. I mean, they have plotlines like Shelley de Killer, Morgan Fey, the Gavins, and stuff like that, but they sort of just pop in an out of the games. They would need a real focused arc to surpass that game and carry into others.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 30, 2015, 01:55:52 PM
I think they would need Shu Takumi writing to do that. He still hasn't expressed interest in writing another AA game since T&T came out.
Well, he did write Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright and Dai Gyakuten Saiban, so maybe there's still hope...

talonmalon333

On the other hand, they would need to push harder to reach his highs. For better or for worse, every AA game since T&T has been fairly standalone. T&T was so great because there was a lot of build up for it, but they can't do that with any newer games because they simply don't have enough build up to do that. I mean, they have plotlines like Shelley de Killer, Morgan Fey, the Gavins, and stuff like that, but they sort of just pop in an out of the games. They would need a real focused arc to surpass that game and carry into others.

Well, some of the games since then have had focused arcs. For example, the storyline of Investigations was pretty tightly knitted. Every case was connected to a single story and part of a bigger picture.

I might have misunderstood your point.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 30, 2015, 06:33:12 PM

Well, some of the games since then have had focused arcs. For example, the storyline of Investigations was pretty tightly knitted. Every case was connected to a single story and part of a bigger picture.

I might have misunderstood your point.
I meant an arc that spans more than one game. We haven't had that happen since the original trilogy.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 30, 2015, 06:53:53 PMI meant an arc that spans more than one game. We haven't had that happen since the original trilogy.

Well, for the most part, the arcs that carried across the trilogy were the Fey family, and Wright's character arc. And yeah, both of which were pretty much completed by Trials and Tribulations. I can't think of any other ones, but I see what you mean.

They did say they are planning a new trilogy nowadays, so we'll see how that goes. But of course, we'll only see if that trilogy is brought over to this side of the world.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 20, 2015, 12:17:42 PM
Favorite protagonists in the series
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Miles Edgeworth
3. Apollo Justice
4. Maya Fey
5. Mia Fey
6. Dick Gumshoe
7. Athena Cykes
8. Simon Blackquill
9. Kay Faraday
10. Franzeska von Karma

Favorite antagonists
1. Dahlia Hawthorne
2. Manfred von Karma
3. Damon Gant
4. Shelly de Killer
5. Morgan Fey
6. Kristoph Gavin
7. Mimi Miney
8. Matt Engarde
9. Furio Tigre
10. Luke Atmey

Your favorites are about the same as mine. But I haven't played Dual Destinies enough times to know which would affect my favorites. I do like Apollo (he was epic in this game), Athena, and Blackquill a lot, though.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 24, 2015, 07:45:03 PM
I also didn't want to list a certain character in Dual Destinies in case I spoiled it for anyone. Really, I think it might be near the top for best game in the series.

So, having reached the credits, was that character...

Spoiler
Fullbright, on the villain list?
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 04, 2015, 11:42:24 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 20, 2015, 12:17:42 PM
Favorite protagonists in the series
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Miles Edgeworth
3. Apollo Justice
4. Maya Fey
5. Mia Fey
6. Dick Gumshoe
7. Athena Cykes
8. Simon Blackquill
9. Kay Faraday
10. Franzeska von Karma

Favorite antagonists
1. Dahlia Hawthorne
2. Manfred von Karma
3. Damon Gant
4. Shelly de Killer
5. Morgan Fey
6. Kristoph Gavin
7. Mimi Miney
8. Matt Engarde
9. Furio Tigre
10. Luke Atmey

Your favorites are about the same as mine. But I haven't played Dual Destinies enough times to know which would affect my favorites. I do like Apollo (he was epic in this game), Athena, and Blackquill a lot, though.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 24, 2015, 07:45:03 PM
I also didn't want to list a certain character in Dual Destinies in case I spoiled it for anyone. Really, I think it might be near the top for best game in the series.

So, having reached the credits, was that character...

Spoiler
Fullbright, on the villain list?
[close]
That would be the one.

Creepy, creepy, villain.

talonmalon333

I must say, Duel Destinies is one of the best games in the series, as you said. The Tenma Taro case was a little underwhelming considering the subject matter, but once I got to the academy case, the game picked up tremendously. And once I got to final cases, which are basically a two-parter, the quality really (please excuse the pun) sky rocketed.

Spoiler
I really can't pick a favorite part of the game. I loved Edgeworth's return and waited so long for it, and I adored the fact that the game ended in the destroyed courtroom. What a way to close things off. Then there is Athena's confession to killing her mother, which had to have been one of the most powerful moments in the whole series. The emotions just felt so real. Then there's the most shocking moment in the series, Fulbright being the Phantom. It was pretty intimidating after Wright deduces this and then must go into a final confrontation with Fulbright, knowing that this guy is someone who simply doesn't feel emotions like most people.
[close]

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
5. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
6. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney