Gigantic

Started by Daikun, August 14, 2015, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Disney unveiled at their D23 Expo the next animated film on their slate for 2018--an adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk. It will be directed by Nathan Greno (Tangled) and the musical score will be done by Robert and Kris Anderson-Lopez. They released the first teaser image on their Twitter account.

EDIT: Additional details.

QuoteSet in Spain during the Age of Exploration, the film follow Jack as he discovers a world of giants hidden within clouds. Jack befriends the female giant Inma, who's "11 years old, 60 feet tall, fiery, feisty and a lot to control" and treats him like a living doll, Greno said. Meanwhile, the baddies, Storm Giants, stand at 120 feet.

Also, Deadline states that there will be a multicultural world of giants.

Avaitor

The Lopezes have never really done much for me. Even when I was closer to Frozen, the soundtrack left me flat more often than not. And I'm not a fan of Disney's reliance on using adjectives for the titles of their fairy tale movies.

But of course, I'm still willing to give this one a go. I'm interested to hear more about it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

If it's more like Tangled and less like Frozen, I'd sure be interested.

Quote from: Avaitor on August 14, 2015, 07:59:52 PM
And I'm not a fan of Disney's reliance on using adjectives for the titles of their fairy tale movies.
Tangled, Frozen, Gigantic...

It is getting a bit overdone.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Some lyrics from the song they played at the Expo, "I Love My Little Man" have leaked, and...

"There are so many things you can do with a little man!
You can toss him in the air, you can pet his tiny hair,
My pretty pretty pretty little man.
You can make him do this, you can make him do this,
And he even makes a pretty good bookmark!"

"He's cutest when he's jumping on a spongecake,
He's funny when he's running across the floor,
I hope I won't be stepping on my angry little leprechaun,
Because he's all I've been praying for."

This has to be a first draft. It has to be.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Wow.

That can't be serious.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

I hope Charlie McCarthy makes a cameo, in reference to the last time they adapted this story.

Daikun

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on August 15, 2015, 04:43:27 PMI hope Charlie McCarthy makes a cameo, in reference to the last time they adapted this story.

Jack the Giant Slayer? :sly:

Peanutbutter

The adjective title to this one makes sense, because this isn't a straight retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk. It's supposed to involve a whole city of giants, which actually makes this interesting.

But yeah, people need to tell Bob Iger that Princess and the Frog didn't bomb because of it's title.

Avaitor

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 17, 2015, 09:42:17 PM
But yeah, people need to tell Bob Iger that Princess and the Frog didn't bomb because of it's title.
The title might have played a little part as to why TPATF underperformed, but I honestly think that the film would have done a good deal better if it was released a couple of weeks earlier. Disney's animated films usually fare much better as Thanksgiving pick-me-ups than during Christmas time. It would have also allowed it some time to make money before Alvin & the Chipmunks 2 and Avatar overtook the market.

New blog!

Daikun

Avaitor

It's shelved.

I'm not surprised. There was no talk of it at this year's D23, and if the leaked lyrics from 2015's panel showed, I could see what difficulties they would have with it.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Really don't see why it can't be called Jack and the Beanstalk. The Princess and the Frog's title wasn't the reason it failed, Iger. Your poor sense of timing was.

Daikun

The movie may be coming back, but not under Disney. Skydance Animation is producing an untitled Jack and the Beanstalk movie for Netflix.

Disney let the Gigantic trademark expire in 2018, so they can use the title if they wish.

Is it actually Gigantic, though? We're still not sure.

Avaitor

Interesting. And I keep forgetting that Lasseter still has a job. Ick.

New blog!