Movie Fights!

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 13, 2015, 06:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I've been wanting to post about this for a while, now.

Movie Fights! is essentially a weekly podcast/game show where various movie nerds (including various movie critics, screen writers, comic book writers, actors, and Internet celebrities, featured as guests) debate over different topics regarding films (and occasionally television), with a judge (usually Andy Signore,  though others have sometimes assumed that role) listening to their arguments and ruling in favor of whoever brings forth the best case for their choice. Whoever has the most points at the end wins, but really that's hardly the main draw of the podcast. It has more to do with fans of films having passionate discussions about films, and as a huge fan of cinema myself, that's what draws me to this show every week. The people on here seriously know their shit, and it's super fun to hear them debate about all kinds of different movies.

Of course, being hosted by Screen Junkies (the same people who make Honest Trailers), most of their staff fill in as regulars almost every week, with usually one or two guests from varying backgrounds. For example, a few months ago they had Doug Walker participate on the panel. This week they had a really special guest: Elijah Wood. This is a big deal, since this is the first time that they've had a very well-known actor of his status participate on the show. I was incredibly impressed with Elijah's level of knowledge and passion for movies, and yes, they did not waste this opportunity for asking plenty of LOTR themed questions.

This week's episode is especially great because it shows you how versatile these topic discussions can be. One question is about the best horror comedy, which any fan of the genre would love to hear. Another is about the best LOTR film, and hearing Elijah's analysis of both the story and his own character, Frodo, is both surreal and insightful to listen to. Then there is a humorous round where they talk about which Hobbit would win in a fight, and that's a great example of how hilarious these discussions can get when the right people are involved.

Here is a link to this week's episode: https://youtu.be/RIxCIN1LZdI

And you can also watch the rest from the playlist on SJ's YouTube channel. This is just a really fun podcast show that has been going on for almost a full year, now, and I recommend it to anyone who just has any sort of enthusiasm for movies.

gunswordfist

Over an hour is a doozy for me but I'll probably check it out soon. That reminds me, I need to rewatch the LOTR...shit, and the first and last Hobbit for that matter.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

See the latest episode for an important announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XEGNO6AMu8

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

SJP sounds like an interesting concept, but I'm skeptical since it really reminds me of how Channel Awesome was hyping up a bunch of new shows at one point, and then dropped the ball big time.

That, and being a payed monthly subscription service means that it really hinges on high quality in order to survive. But it does involve a lot of talented reviewers that I genuinely like to follow (more so than most people on Channel Awesome, these days), so maybe I'll at least try the free 3-month trial when it comes out.

Anyways, this week's episode had some pretty bland topics outside of two or three of them, but the few previous episodes were some of the best, IMO.

Daikun

All Screen Junkies Plus content is unlocked from now till Sunday. Happy binge watching!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sounds neat. I've been meaning to check out some of the SJ+ content for a while, now. I know that they offer a 3-Month free trial as well, but I really didn't want to input my credit card information so that they could automatically start charging me after that 3-Months were up if I wanted to cancel it but forgot.

This way I can at least check out if what they have is really worth signing up for or not.

LumRanmaYasha

Andy Signore sexually harassed an unpaid intern.

EDIT: More women are speaking out about Andy sexually harassing them.

I'm glad people are coming forward about this, because it's disgusting and criminal. I really hope this scumbag gets punished for his behavior.

Peanutbutter

Mark Sailing of Glee, Harvey Weinstein, that writer from Vice, and this creep. Four different entertainment people caught for serious sex crimes.

Jeez, what is it about this week?!

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

That's a fine start, but they need to fire him. His victims have shared the actual e-mails and messages where he harassed them. The evidence can't be refuted.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The SJ crew talk about the controversy surrounding Andy's sexual harassment and discuss the future of the channel going forward: https://youtu.be/8R9XdMtSW5E

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Really glad to hear that. I knew that it would have to go on hiatus after the whole Andy Signore scandal being that he was a big part of organizing and producing that show (along with most content for Screen Junkies in general). But Andy aside, it really was one of my favorite things to watch every week, and I'm happy to see it make its return.

Daikun