Ace Attorney

Started by Spark Of Spirit, September 17, 2015, 05:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

That's right. Phoenix Wright is getting an anime adaption for Spring 2016 that will follow the first three games. It is unknown how long it will be, but with 14 cases to go through (and most of them aren't short enough to fit an episode) it should have more than enough material.

So, lets center discussion on the anime here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Pretty exciting news! I just hope that it's at least two cours, if not more. I can't imagine them being able to fit in a whole case in each episode.

Spark Of Spirit

I can see maybe the intro case of each game being a standalone episode, but definitely not the bigger cases. I'd say 2-3 episodes per each is the least they deserve.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Let's hope this gets brought to America!

I say 3 or 4 episodes for each full length case, and 5 or 6 episodes for each of the final cases, could be enough. I'm super excited for the 1-4, 1-5, 2-4, and 3-5 cases getting fully animated and voiced.

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to the intro case of Justice for All being cut. It adequately serves its purpose to ease the player in when playing the video game, but from a story point of view, it would be completely filler and not particularly strong as a show. And without gameplay backing it up, I also think it would...

Spoiler
Further cheapen Maya's return in the game's second case, which is a prequel to this one. That's always been a huge gripe of mine when it comes to this case, and it would be even more noticeable a flaw in an anime. It's telling when the only story purpose this case would have is to be a spoiler for a vastly superior case.
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

If there's an NA release (and there will be), I'm pretty sure they'll at least use the NA names.

You could do an anime this way:

Episode 1: 1-1, background info
Episode 2: 1-2, background on Mia and Edgeworth
Episode 3: 1-2
Episode 4: 1-2
Episode 5: Filler episode dealing with establishing the firm and the next case
Episode 6: 1-3
Episode 7: 1-3
Episode 8: 1-3
Episode 9: Filler episode about Edgeworth
Episode 10: 1-4
Episode 11: 1-4
Episode 12: 1-4
Episode 13: 1-4
Episode 14: End of 1-4, fallout from the case
Episode 15: 1-5
Episode 16: 1-5
Episode 17: 1-5
Episode 18: 1-5
Episode 19: 1-5
Episode 20: Filler episode between the two games
Episode 21: Filler case
Episode 22: Filler case
Episode 23: 2-2
Episode 24: 2-2
Episode 25: 2-2
Episode 26: Filler episode about Maya
Episode 27: Passing reference to 2-1, start of 2-3
Episode 28: 2-3
Episode 29: End of 2-3, hint at next case
Episode 30: 2-4
Episode 31: 2-4
Episode 32: 2-4
Episode 33: 2-4
Episode 34: 2-4
Episode 35: Filler episode between the two games
Episode 36: Filler case
Episode 37: Filler case, episode about Phoenix
Episode 38: Flashback to Mia, case 3-1
Episode 39: 3-2
Episode 40: 3-2
Episode 41: 3-3
Episode 42: 3-3
Episode 43: Flashback to Mia, case 3-4
Episode 44: Intro to 3-5, episode about Phoenix's past
Episode 45: 3-5
Episode 46: 3-5
Episode 47: 3-5
Episode 48: 3-5
Episode 49: 3-5
Episode 50: 3-5, series wrap up

Ideally, I think that would work best. Personally I would enjoy some filler in a series like this between cases. We can see the characters off the job more.

Plus, 1-4, 1-5, 2-4, and 3-5 need a LOT of episodes to really do the cases justice. They would take up near 20 episodes on their own. I'm really curious as to how they plan on doing this.

talonmalon333

I almost feel like cases 3-1 and 3-4 should be two episodes, so to avoid leaving out as much as possible. There's a lot of development in there that's important to 3-5.

The thing about the idea of adding cases is that, if they have ideas for new cases, I'd almost rather just see those put into a full game. But I do like the idea of seeing the characters off the job. Wright and Maya alone are likable enough to sustain an episode without being in the courtroom or on the crime scene.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 21, 2015, 12:43:23 PM
(and there will be),

What makes you so sure?

Fallout?

Isn't that kind of like what 3-1 is?

But your chart looks good.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 21, 2015, 01:02:01 PM
The thing about the idea of adding cases is that, if they have ideas for new cases, I'd almost rather just see those put into a full game. But I do like the idea of seeing the characters off the job. Wright and Maya alone are likable enough to sustain an episode without being in the courtroom or on the crime scene.
Well, these would be written by the anime staff and not the game writers, so we wouldn't have these without the series. I'd personally just like to see some episodes outside of a case in more of a slice of life environment.

(and there will be),

What makes you so sure?
The series has a huge fanbase and is VERY popular in anime circles. Just this announcement has been a huge deal. I can't see nobody picking this up.

Fallout?
Spoiler
Von Karma and everything he has done, Edgeworth getting his life back together, and the repercussions it has for the series being that it leads to the mistrust in 1-5, and the whole Dark Age of the Law which is the center of the whole second trilogy. There's a lot of stuff not directly relating to the case that could be expanded upon.
[close]

Isn't that kind of like what 3-1 is?
It is, but I meant more outside of the general framework of a college student and maybe focused on everything that lead him until that moment since 3-5 is so heavily related to him facing that past and we won't have much time to focus on it considering how long the proper case is.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 21, 2015, 01:02:01 PMBut your chart looks good.
Thanks! I think a 50 episode show is the best way to give the first 3 games the breathing room it deserves.

talonmalon333

Spoiler

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 21, 2015, 01:38:24 PMWell, these would be written by the anime staff and not the game writers, so we wouldn't have these without the series. I'd personally just like to see some episodes outside of a case in more of a slice of life environment.

That's a good point. I can agree with you there, then.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 21, 2015, 01:38:24 PM
Von Karma and everything he has done, Edgeworth getting his life back together, and the repercussions it has for the series being that it leads to the mistrust in 1-5, and the whole Dark Age of the Law which is the center of the whole second trilogy. There's a lot of stuff not directly relating to the case that could be expanded upon.

Speaking of 1-5, I was thinking that hopefully the anime will fix a big plothole that case created (being that 1-5 wasn't created until well after the trilogy was released). 1-4 and 2-4 have a clear link that 1-5 complicates, as 2-4 states that Edgeworth disappeared after 1-4 and never returned to the courtroom. Now, we can finally see that plothole get plugged... Unless they just cut 1-5 which would be a huge loss. Wright and Edgeworth's battle with Gant was one of the best and most intense in the whole series. It's the battle I always associate this song with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7aa1Dkr_1Q

It is, but I meant more outside of the general framework of a college student and maybe focused on everything that lead him until that moment since 3-5 is so heavily related to him facing that past and we won't have much time to focus on it considering how long the proper case is.

I agree, but I also wouldn't be opposed to seeing some of his past explored a bit more in 1-4, since a big part of that case is Wright and Edgeworth's friendship in their youth.

Thanks! I think a 50 episode show is the best way to give the first 3 games the breathing room it deserves.

Do you think they'll continue past the first three games? Or do you think they'll just stop at Trials and Tribulations?
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

There's no way they'll cut 1-5. The DS version is the most popular version of the game, they'd have so many complaints without it. I bet they'll just add in lines explaining that character left after that case instead of 1-4.

As for the length, they said this series will cover the first three games. I'd imagine a sequel series would either cover the Edgeworth games (which I hope because we might never get a translation of the second game at this rate) or Apollo, Dual Destines, and Ace Attorney 6. That will probably depend on how well this does.

talonmalon333

At the same time, I do think they could get away with just ending the series with the first three games. Those three games tell a complete character story arc with Wright, and the storyline doesn't necessarily need to continue beyond them.

Spark Of Spirit

Either way, focusing this particular series on those games was the best idea. I just hope it's good.

talonmalon333

I'm actually kind of surprised you left 2-3 on your chart. :D

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not going to lie, it hurt to write that down.  :D

I don't think there's any way to salvage it, but I doubt they'd cut it. But if they did cut anything, I would choose it first without question.

talonmalon333

Spoiler
I mean, it's not like it adds much to the overarching story, other than tidbits about Edgeworth that could have been inserted anywhere else. It would make just as much sense to go from 2-2 to 2-4. In fact, it would work well enough to have Franziska's winning streak be broken in 2-2, which leads to her throwing a fit and attempting to quit her prosecutor job in 2-4. When it comes to making a television show, in order to keep the pacing brisk, you have to cut the fat.

Then again, 2-3 does let us settle back into the Wright and Maya friendship before she gets taken away in 2-4, considering that she's in prison all throughout 2-2. But some filler between 2-2 and 2-4 would remedy that.
[close]

talonmalon333

Do you think they'll remix the in-game music?