Better Call Saul

Started by GregX, February 08, 2015, 02:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Chuck isn't really wrong, but I still find it hard to side with him here. Probably due to how great Bob Odenkirk plays Jimmy/Saul, since I'm still always rooting for him.

But man that was rough.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Quote from: GregX on April 01, 2015, 09:44:06 AM
Who?

I thought Chuck's speech was heartbreaking and yet, I should have seen this coming. All the clues were there. If Chuck wanted Jimmy at HHM, Jimmy would be at HHM. I guess I just didn't want to think Chuck was screwing over Jimmy that way.

I think this is the beginning of Saul Goodman as we know him.

A character from Grand Theft Auto, whom Steve Ogg plays. He was the guy Mike laid out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm always a a bit behind on this show, but I finally caught up. Man, it's really getting better as it goes along. I think that we can expect Breaking Bad levels of quality by the end of this season and for all subsequent ones.

Chuck's speech did ring with some harsh truth to it, but at the same time it's unquestionable that the way he went about preventing Jimmy from becoming a part of HHM was flat-out wrong. Clearly a part of him just didn't want Jimmy to ever achieve a status like his. As a brother he should have looked out for Jimmy, either conveying his feelings about his lack of qualification to work at HHM when Jimmy first told him of his certification, or even better would have been to groom him into becoming proper lawyer material once he showed his genuine ambition for it. But when Chuck smiled at him through his teeth all while screwing his efforts over behind his back, he was basically setting himself up to be the bad guy, and let's be honest, he pretty much is.

The one part of his speech that I don't buy is that Jimmy couldn't change. It seems to me like he just had his perception of Jimmy stuck in the past despite everything that Jimmy did to better himself, and ironically that is probably what will lead to Jimmy going down an even darker path as Saul Goodman. This really also brilliantly connects to Mike's speech in the episode. He claims that he has known bad cops and good thieves. Basically, whether you're a good person or not doesn't have to do with what side of the law that you're on. In this case Chuck claims to uphold the law to a high regard, but it doesn't make his actions justifiable nor does it cement him as a good person. Meanwhile Jimmy, who has already done a few minor underhanded things, is clearly the better man. Granted that, we know that he'll also slip into to being a bad guy himself, eventually, but for now he's a much closer fit for a straight guy than his brother is.

Of course, just like how we all rooted for Walter White, you can't help but want to see him get back at Chuck and HHM (and going by his status in Breaking Bad, it's a safe bet to assume that he probably will). What makes this work so well, though, is a combination of excellent writing and acting. Had none of this been up to the level of quality that we got, we simply wouldn't care. As it stands, though, I'm more pumped than ever to see the rest of this story unfold.

Dr. Insomniac

Well other than the Kennedy coin scene and the Costner deal, not much in this episode really connected. It just felt like it was there.

GregX

It was a very subtle finale, but this is a character-based show more than anything. He may not be using the name yet, but he is Saul Goodman now. Basically, he went back to his roots, had the best week of his life and decided he was going to live his life his way... he was trying to do good, but only because he desired his brother's approval. Now that he knows he will never get it, he said "fuck it".

It wasn't a cliffhanger, so much as the close of a chapter. He is who he is, he likes it. I can't wait for season two.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: GregX on April 06, 2015, 10:32:35 PM
It was a very subtle finale, but this is a character-based show more than anything. He may not be using the name yet, but he is Saul Goodman now. Basically, he went back to his roots, had the best week of his life and decided he was going to live his life his way... he was trying to do good, but only because he desired his brother's approval. Now that he knows he will never get it, he said "fuck it".

It wasn't a cliffhanger, so much as the close of a chapter. He is who he is, he likes it. I can't wait for season two.

Neither can I. Your review of the season would help though.

GregX

It'll come by the end of the week.

Avaitor

That has to be the best use of "Smoke on the Water" that I've heard in a long, long time.

This was a good way to end a great first season. I definitely can't wait to see what comes next.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Quote from: GregX on April 06, 2015, 11:02:20 PM
It'll come by the end of the week.

Today's not the end of the week. But my birthday's this Sunday so I'm taking today as your birthday present!  :awesome: WHOOHOO!!!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really enjoyed the first season of Better Call Saul, but so far this season has easily been topping it in every way, IMO. The exchange between Jimmy and Chuck in this week's episode is some of the best acting that I've ever seen on any TV show.