Author Topic: Yu Yu Hakusho  (Read 43054 times)

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
Re: Yu Yu Hakusho
« Reply #630 on: March 26, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Imagine how many fans would be pissed off if they announced a remake, but it was by the director of the new Berserk anime so it was all in CG?

gunswordfist

• Elite Beat Agents
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #631 on: March 26, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »
I'd like to see a movie about how the fuck Urameshi got back to The Living World.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

• Beautiful Dreamer
  • ACROSS Star 1
  • Love is a Boomerang
    • My Art Blog!
« Reply #632 on: April 03, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
Super Eyepatch Wolf made a "Why Should Watch Yu Yu Hakusho" video. A very good reflection of the strengths and the unique charm of the series from someone who cares very deeply about it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #633 on: April 05, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
I love the passion in this video. And I'm glad to see him delve into aspects of the show that most reviewers seem to ignore, like the creative and varied animation styles present throughout the series, as well as Togashi's unique and unconventional mentality as a writer, making the characters of YYH stand out beyond their base archetypes.

In general it's always great to see other passionate fans of a show that IMO has well earned it's status as a classic.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #634 on: May 28, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
Mother's Basement just did a video on what makes a good first episode of an anime and how it can get you hooked: https://youtu.be/nEUDhkgC6rQ

While the video in and of itself is a broad topic, he goes into three specific criteria of what a first episode needs to do to hook in a viewer, and he uses Yu Yu Hakusho as the representative example of how to set up an endearing protagonist that you want to follow.

Glad someone else recognizes that Yu Yu Hakusho has one of the greatest first episodes in anime history. :joy:

Painted Outlaw

• Talking Dog
« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
Started rewatching this show today, partly on a 2003 anime nostalgia run. As I haven't seen it in way too long, I wanted to start fresh. So, since I grew up with the dub, I watched with the Japanese voice cast this time so I won't know ahead of time how my reactions'll be.
So far, I've gone through the first arc (Yusuke being revived) and I still think they're really good episodes. Even just the first episode with Yusuke at the wake and noticing how characters like Keiko, Kuwabara, et al would be worse off without him than if he had actually stayed dead. No matter how many times I watch the episode, I still get emotional watching that part. Also, Mr. Takenaka is best teacher. I completely forgot till now just how much he cared for people like Yusuke and the other students despite keeping up appearances.

On the Jpn voice cast, I think they did a rather fine job so far. The only voice I'm not too keen on atm though is Botan's since I didn't expect that young-sounding a voice to come out of her mouth at all. It's not a deal breaker, though; it's odd but not annoying.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »
Yeah, YYH has arguably one of the best first episodes of any long-running shonen anime.

The Japanese voices are well done for the most part, but this is one of those shows that I almost always watch dubbed to this day.