My Hero Academia

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 24, 2015, 05:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 04, 2016, 01:21:43 PM
Oh, so it's out?
It is!

There's a bunch of anime hype here. Jump's really putting some muscle behind its promotion, and I'm glad for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great episode, and despite only adapting the second half of the first chapter, it still felt packed with content. This also really showed off some great direction that goes well beyond the efforts of most WSJ series' adaptations.

I like how we get to see in this episode that MHA is great at both making certain tropes work really well in the context of its story regardless of how cliche they are, while simultaneously averting certain other tropes where you may not expect it (something that will happen more often as the story progresses in later arcs). What I mean is that, on the one hand, you could look at this episode and call it cliche. An underdog kid without any talent proves that he has what counts inside and is set on the path toward achieving his dream. However, much like Yu Yu Hakusho's Dark Tournament arc, while the set-up may be cliche, it's how how the story gets from one point to the next, and how the characters develop between it all, which actually counts. It's in that aspect where MHA is much more interesting. All-Might seems like a golden-to-silver-age Superman style boy-scout hero on the surface. However, as we see that's the image he has to put on for the public and other heroes in order to be a symbol of inspiration for the greater good. In reality, he's been paying for the consequences of his lifestyle big time, with his health rapidly declining, and when we see the real him, he looks like he could barely swat a fly, yet he must overexert himself every time that he powers up, and the time in which he can do so is more limited than we initially would have realized. Yet he still pushes forward despite it all, and it's THAT quality which makes him a hero, rather than his Quirk, in and of itself. And that's basically the whole theme of this series: what it means to be a hero, and what it is that makes someone a hero.

I especially like the two major conversations between Midoriya and All-Might, which drive that point home. In their first encounter, All-Might gives him a brutally honest answer that he has no hope of becoming a hero without a Quirk. It's not said out of spite or lack of compassion, but in his mind he's turning Midoriya away from pursuing a dream that he has no hope of achieving, and in the long run is doing him a service by getting him to grow up faster and realize that he just needs to pursue a different path in life. However, we then get the climactic scene from the first chapter toward the end of this episode, where Midoriya rushes in to save Bakugou despite it almost meaning certain death. What was he thinking? Well, he wasn't thinking, he just reacted to the situation because that's who he is. It's that very action that gets All-Might to realize that in that regard, Midoriya is not so different from himself given his own situation, putting his life on the line to do what's right despite the consequences being drastic given his physical condition. This leads into their second conversation at the end of the episode, where All-Might reassess what he said earlier, and tells Midoriya that he does have what it takes to become a hero: not a quirk, but something more important, the drive to do what's right no matter what's at stake. Whereas this could easily come off as cheap and corny in most other shonen series, the reason that it works here is because it's earned through the events and character development which take place throughout these first two episodes. This is how you know that MHA is something far more engaging than your typical Jump series (and I say this as a huge WSJ fan).

Also, does anyone else realize that Midoriya Izuku/Deku is basically the Japanese equivalent of Steve Rogers/Captain America in terms of his origin story?

Spoiler
Both start out as scrawny, wimpy guys, but with lots of bravery and a heroic spirit from the very beginning, and both end up being rewarded for those qualities by getting buffed up via outside means. Being that I'm a huge fan of Captain America, that's a plus in my book. ;)
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

It's funny that the first chapter took two episodes to adapt since it looks like the next episode adapts two chapters.

But that's mainly because the first chapter is surprisingly packed with content. They fleshed it out exceedingly well here, lingering on both Midoriya and All Might's interior conflicts and hitting the right moments absolutely perfectly. The way they zoomed in on Bakugo's realization of impending death and snapped directly to Midoriya rushing in (which was wonderfully acted and animated) and trying to save him as well as All Might regaining his nearly lost resolve was expertly handled and really nailed the manga's feel. I know some people hate that they took two episode to adapt one chapter, but I thought it was absolutely needed here as really solidifying Midoriya and All Might as two of the best characters in the series right out the gate and starting Bakugo down his own road.

Next week should be interesting to see how they handle what's next.

Oh, and I gotta say, the ED isn't flashy at all, but I really do think it's the best ED this season. The song is a perfect fit and the images are expertly chosen. Really hits home for the theme of the series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I usually don't agree much at all with ANN reviews (even when I agree with them on a show's quality, it tends to be for different reasons), but I thought this quote from their review of the first two episodes mirrors much of the fanbase for this show.

QuoteThe winning moment of these debut episodes comes with the big rescue scene, when one of Midoriya's classmates (Bakugo, the clear antihero-to-be of the series) is trapped within the body of some kind of sewage villain and none of the local heroes are able to fight without hurting the kid inside. It's Midoriya who acts on instinct, panicking his way over to the monster and trying to pull his rival out against all odds. Despite the terrified childishness in his eyes, he's doing what none of the other heroes were able to do: risking his life. Even All Might is surprised by this, allowing himself to summon the courage and risk his health by fighting beyond the regular three hours he gets to use his strength each day.

The thing that makes this scene so important is that it puts it's best quality front and center. Kohei Horikoshi is still an undefined talent in many ways, especially considering that people have their hearts set on My Hero Academia being the next Naruto or One Piece, but right out of the gate he's always had one skill that he's miles above anybody else on; he has an almost supernatural ability to depict adrenaline. The energy and passion that goes into his big make-it-or-break it scenes is frankly from another planet. His stories have a talent of sucking you into the heightened drama in was that I honestly can't put my finger on.

Part of my fascination with this series lies in trying to figure out why it clicks so perfectly. I could praise the music, editing, voice acting etc., all of which is top notch, but I'm still not satisfied with that. There really is some kind of magic at play and I don't think I'm going to figure out the recipe any time soon, but that just makes me all the more excited to see what comes next.

The first two episodes of My Hero Academia (which serve as the complete introduction to the series) are as indicative of the genre as you can imagine when it comes to plot, but the execution makes it shine so much stronger. I'm already in love with All Might as a character, and even though Midoriya is still unproven as a protagonist (I would never hold his feeble-ness against him, but he's still a bit of a vanilla cracker) I'm aware that the conceit of the series is that he'll have plenty opportunities to impress us over time.
This is funny for two reasons.

The first is that his assumptions on the characters
Spoiler
is actually wrong, though there is no way he can know that now. Bakugo is NOT an anti-hero, though he may start out looking to be one, Midoriya is NOT a feeble weakling, though he may start out looking to be one. All Might is certainly a great hero and one of the best characters, but it's when you learn more about Toshinori that you begin to admire his heroics even more than before. MHA starts out being deceptively basic and builds on it.
[close]
MHA starts out using the foundation for shonen as it's starting point, just like every other great shonen, but quickly becomes its own thing as it goes.

The second point is that indescribable feeling he's talking about that MHA has. It's hard to put into words for fans to describe why they enjoy it so much, but that's because it's actually the total package. Yes, at its heart it's a superhero comic and shonen manga, fully embracing everything great about both those things. But at the same time it doesn't embody the things people hate about them either. Horikoshi is a great storyteller, a great writer, a great artist, a great character designer, and he clearly knows a lot about both superhero comics and shonen manga to the point that MHA ends up being its own thing at the end of the day while being the best of both those worlds as well.

Those who liked these first episodes have much fun to look forward to.  ;D

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone sees "OPM ripoff!" comments, be sure to let them know that My Hero Academia has its origins going back to 2008 as a one-shot. OPM had nothing to do with its creation.

gunswordfist

Within 2 minutes of the new episode, I already wanted to cry. Got teary eyed on a few other parts. It was also funny, like usual.

I had no clue whatsoever that Izuku would inherit All Might's powers. I pretty much thought he was going to be on some Boy Wonder shit. Moments like that is why I love going into series blind. I also love how the training was immediately acceptable, especially since it meant more All Might. Not only that, but it ended up being a cool, funny and inspiring montage. And this all reminded everyone that things won't get easy just because Izuku takes All Might's powers. I assumed All Might would lose all his powers once Izuku got them but that doesn't seem to be the case. I hope he sticks around for awhile. (Don't tell me.)

The voice acting and animation really shined in this one.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

They already picked up the pace. Chapter 2 was the first half of the episode and it went straight into chapter 3. Can't wait to see the entrance exam next week animated.

gunswordfist

Same. This wait is killing me lol

gunswordfist

Goddammit, I knew Izuku would past but still got teary eyed. It's just the way MHA does it.

Spark Of Spirit

I have to say, I didn't expect they wold animate One For All like that, but it was pretty cool. I'm really anticipating how they'll animate the Battle Trial, though.

VLordGTZ

The My Hero Academia broadcast dub will be released on FunimationNow on May 5th.

English Cast (so far):
Justin Briner as Izuku Midoriya
Chris Sabat as All Might
Luci Christian as Ochaco Uraraka
Clifford Chapin as Katsuki Bakugo

Personally, I'm a bit disappointing that the dub is not airing on Toonami, but now I at least have another broadcast dub to watch every Wednesday alongside Assassination Classroom. 

Spark Of Spirit

Was so pulling for Justin Cook to be Bakugo. Oh well.

Good choices for All Might and Uraraka.

Daxdiv

I was expecting either Chris Sabat or Pattrick Seitz as All Might myself. Still good choices all around.

Well, I guess we knew a simuldub/broadcast dub was coming. I would have been surprised if MHA didn't get it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Chris Sabat being cast as All Might in the English dub is the most obvious casting choice in the history of casting choices for anime dubs. And I'm totally cool with that.

Luci Christian as Uraraka is also a good choice. I've always enjoyed hearing her as Kaname from FMP and Nami from One Piece.

Spark Of Spirit

Only casting choice I really want to see now is Chuck Huber as Stain when we get there.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was going to say that Chris Patton could probably do a good Todoroki, but then I remembered that he refuses to work with FUNimation anymore.