Voltron on Netflix

Started by Daikun, January 05, 2016, 09:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on August 19, 2017, 10:12:19 AM
One week later and I'm still pissed at that backstory episode. You know they've made a real misstep when the original Zarkon's motivations from Voltron/Go-Lion seem more credible and less shallow than those of a modern-day incarnation.
I forgot. What were his original motivations back in the 80s show?

LumRanmaYasha

The original Zarkon was pretty basic in terms of motivations; he wanted to conquer the universe and become immortal. But at least he chose to do that and his fall from grace was self-propelled. My issue with Legendary Defender's Zarkon is that he's clearly just being mind-controlled by dark quintessence, and that all the bullshit in the episode about him wanting to increase his military power isn't what actually makes him turn to the dark side. At least the original Zarkon was a villain by his own volition.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on August 03, 2016, 04:46:25 PM
I got around to finishing the show last night, and I liked it overall. It feels like a case where I'm sure the second season will improve things, and thankfully we don't have to wait too long.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot for the series if you're not much of a mecha fan, but I am, so I dug the action pretty well. I do wish that it wasn't so male heavy, though. Allura was decently written, but she's basically it. Still, the Pallidins were similarly well-written, so I can't be too harsh about them.
I disagree. One of the reasons I hate mecha shows, pretty much besides me finding the action to be boring, is how boring the characters are. They made this series a lot of fun and this is the only mecha series I have liked since Sym-Bionic Titan.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 03, 2016, 11:35:38 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 03, 2016, 04:46:25 PM
I got around to finishing the show last night, and I liked it overall. It feels like a case where I'm sure the second season will improve things, and thankfully we don't have to wait too long.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot for the series if you're not much of a mecha fan, but I am, so I dug the action pretty well. I do wish that it wasn't so male heavy, though. Allura was decently written, but she's basically it. Still, the Pallidins were similarly well-written, so I can't be too harsh about them.

We don't? Has somewhere reported when the next set is?

Also, you omitted Pidge. Not a huge fan of gender/race bending, but they did a great job with her character and arc. And it didn't get too on the nose with "Girls can do things too!" that can unintentionally come off backhanded.
:whuh:

Dr. Insomniac

Other half of this season came out, and it was all right. Not a fan of that episode where they had to do a stage show to appease the coalition though. And annoyed at how Lotor's crew went turncoat so quickly before getting more characterization.

gunswordfist

I feel you even though I suspect Keith's mom is still on his side.

Daikun

Lord Dalek

Well its over...

Spoiler

- Allura is dead! ...yay?

- Shiro sucks at politics! ...yay??

- Hunk became a caterer! ...yay???

- Katie is still best girl and now inventor of Vehicle Voltron and as a result worst girl! ...yay????

- Keith is now super cat people ninja assassin administrator for intergalactic Toys for Tots! ...yay?????

- Lance is just ass. Now he will never be truly happy because he never got to tap that sweet Altean ass! ...yaaaehforgetit
[close]

Boy did this show lose the script harder than the last season of Korra.