Aspen, Titan, and AWA comics

Started by Markness, January 01, 2022, 03:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markness

After feeling burned out on DC and Marvel last year, I started checking smaller and independent comic book publishers. Aspen, Titan, and AWA comics filled that quotient for me.

I've read some Aspen titles before and decided to get back into them since the company had to put a lot of stuff on hold. I really like what I've read from Fathom and Soulfire (Both are now headlined as Michael Turner's in memory of his passing) which are their flagship titles. I also like Dellec, Idolized, Jirni, Bubble Gun, and Four Points.

Titan Comics produce some original European and American comics as well as licensed titles. I found out the library has some of their books (Alisik, Wika, and Adler) and I read one of their recent mini-series called Gun Honey. I want to read their first mini-series of Life is Strange which is based on a video game I've played recently.

AWA formed back in 2018 and started releasing titles in 2020. I found out about them from some preview magazines my friend who owns a comic shop gave me. I read a trade of their first mini-series The Resistance and their recently wrapped up one called Fight Girls. I want to read Chariot and am looking forward to Primos this year.

Has anyone here read or heard of these companies?

Dr. Insomniac

I've read a few of JMS' comics from AWA, but they all came off as pitches for TV shows than comics. One in particular had the same plot as an old ABC show from a decade ago.

For Titan, I used to read their Doctor Who stuff, when they got writers like Ewing and Spurrier to write 11, and their recent stuff is fine, but the spark's not there. I especially don't like the ones where they throw random characters into a blender and call that a story, like the recent one that's just 8, Rose, and 11 in the same comic, or 10 and 13 fighting Sea Devils. Crossovers are fine on their own, but when they become the main thing, it gets annoying.

Markness

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 01, 2022, 04:06:49 PM
I've read a few of JMS' comics from AWA, but they all came off as pitches for TV shows than comics. One in particular had the same plot as an old ABC show from a decade ago.

For Titan, I used to read their Doctor Who stuff, when they got writers like Ewing and Spurrier to write 11, and their recent stuff is fine, but the spark's not there. I especially don't like the ones where they throw random characters into a blender and call that a story, like the recent one that's just 8, Rose, and 11 in the same comic, or 10 and 13 fighting Sea Devils. Crossovers are fine on their own, but when they become the main thing, it gets annoying.

Looking back, The Resistance does come off that way. It has too many scene changes. I liked the art generally. However, I can't remember the characters' names and the plot is very jumpy. I decided that I can't get invested in the sequels and spin offs. I hope Chariot and Fight Girls get sequels.

I am glad I got replies from Aspen regarding their cancelled trades and paused comics. They plan on releasing the trades and bringing back the unreleased issues of the series they had to put on hold.
Before I read any Titan comics, I read the novels by Kieran Shea they published, the Koko Martstellar trilogy.