Manga you wish was licensed

Started by Markness, February 29, 2016, 12:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Daikun on December 27, 2017, 05:16:08 PM
Kodansha takes over publication of Shaman King.

Yeah, this isn't too surprising considering that Hiroyuki Takei severed all ties with Shueisha earlier this year.  As for the special announcement that Kodansha is planning, it's likely an announcement of a new print of the Shaman King manga under the Kodansha label, or the sequel to Shaman King Flowers that Takei has been hinting at for a while.  A new anime would be cool, but I doubt one would happen so soon after the series changing hands.  Coincidentally, Viz is no longer selling Shaman King or Karakuri Doji Ultimo digitally, so it's very likely that their license to both series are expiring in the near future.

LumRanmaYasha

I hope Kodansha USA re-releases the Shaman King manga over here so that we can finally receive the revised and conclusive ending provided in the Kanzenban release, since Viz only ever released the original tankobons. I actually think that a new anime is very possible considering 2018 will be its 20th anniversary, and I'm sure Kodansha would want to capitalize on that.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Seven Seas has finally licensed volumes 4 and 5 of Boogiepop, and is releasing the first 6 Boogiepop novels in omnibus format!

It's good to see the upcoming anime causing increased interest in Boogiepop again.  I'll definetly be picking these up!

Spark Of Spirit

Oh hey, I was just thinking I wish I had a chance to read the original novels. Great news!

EDIT: One thing I would like to see is more obscure works by Hideyuki Kikuchi, though I see how hard a sell it is since only Vampire Hunter D is popular over here. Still, I'd like to see Demon City Blues (the current releases are so scattered and hard to find) or Treasure Hunters. He has some interesting stuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 16, 2018, 04:03:15 PM
EDIT: One thing I would like to see is more obscure works by Hideyuki Kikuchi, though I see how hard a sell it is since only Vampire Hunter D is popular over here. Still, I'd like to see Demon City Blues (the current releases are so scattered and hard to find) or Treasure Hunters. He has some interesting stuff.

You can get Demon City and Yashakiden on kindle at least. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the Wicked City books which seem to be long out of print. Noble V Greylancer is also on kindle, but apparently the Ayami Kojima illustrations were removed, which is just plain unforgivable in my opinion.

VLordGTZ

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

It's really strange that this took so long to get licensed. But at least it's finally coming.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Viz has got the Urusei Yatsura manga.

Guess they finally figured out a way to put it out.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Damn this is insane!  I'll be looking forward to having a shiny new UY release in English.  ;D

In other unexpected news, Media-Do International has licensed Baki the Grappler!

Considering how long the manga is, I thought it would be a mere pipe dream, but damn this is amazing!

Avaitor

I won't lie, I was expecting a Maison Ikkoku rerelease first, but at the same time, I'm nut too surprised UY is getting another shot, since I'm seeing a tiny bit of a surge in recent popularity with western anime fans.

I'm also seeing that with AnJ, a little bit before, but especially after Megalobox became a season favorite, so I'm really pulling for it to get a release as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

A lot of older series have been seeing releases recently, so now is the best time. I would imagine if this is successful they'll move on to Maison Ikkoku then Ranma.

I hope this spells a chance for Fist of the North Star. 2 in 1s would do great for it. It was released a few years ago in an Extreme Edition in 18 volumes which is the perfect one to use.