Manga you wish was licensed

Started by Markness, February 29, 2016, 12:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

It looks like Kodansha USA is planning to release some old Del Rey licensed manga digitally (including School Rumble).

I don't think this means that they'll finish translating these series, but it'll be good to have the parts that are already translated available legally again.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Viz has licensed the Dragon Ball Super, The Water Dragon's Bride, and Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt manga series. They are also releasing Rurouni Kenshin in that 3 in 1 format, and are releasing Revolutionary Girl Utena in a boxset.

This news at least got me to finally get started on getting the Viz Big's for Kenshin. Obviously they ain't getting reprinted now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 01, 2016, 08:15:47 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 01, 2016, 07:05:40 PM
Yen Press has licensed Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers light novels and manga, The Isolator, Big Order, Murcielago, and Smokin' Parade.

I live in a world where Big Order is licensed, but not Ushio & Tora.

:srs:
Welcome to the planet where 50 Shades Of Grey gets published.
After all that, Viz only licensed three series. One is Dragon Ball and the other is Gundam.

Yen Press is one thing, but Viz? This was a poor showing for them.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 01, 2016, 07:05:40 PM
Yen Press has licensed Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers light novels and manga, The Isolator, Big Order, Murcielago, and Smokin' Parade.

I live in a world where Big Order is licensed, but not Ushio & Tora.

:srs:

Fuck Big Order, I'm fucking pumped that Murcielago go licensed. :shakeshakeshake:

Glad to see Rokka getting its due in the US too. From what I understand, the LN's themselves are good, but anime-only watchers got a raw deal, so it's nice that people can officially read the source material.

VLordGTZ

Well, Viz still has a Shonen Jump panel at AX so they'll probably announce some stuff there.  I'm also sure that they're saving some announcements for SDCC in a few weeks.

Spark Of Spirit

Markness

LumRanmaYasha

I recently learned from a friend who works in the industry that Viz is contractually obligated to finish publishing the Urusei Yatsura volumes they never published before they can reprint the earlier ones. But Viz's own policies won't let them publish the later volumes because the earlier ones are out of print. Add considering that they've tried to release the series twice already to middling success...and that they have exclusive rights to the series because it's a Shogakukan property...the chances of the manga ever being reprinted and fully published in the west are highly unlikely to say the least.  :(

At least there's still hope for the anime, since the Ranma 1/2 blu-rays did well.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not sure what kind of issue they could have since Shogakukan owns Viz. If both parties wanted to change the contract, I'm not sure why they couldn't.

But really, even if they did, I would hope they aren't crazy enough to release them in singles. Nothing released before 2010 or so is going to sell unless in 2 or 3 in ones.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 04, 2016, 04:26:26 PM
Viz has licensed Diamond is Unbreakable.

Great news!  Hopefully they'll be publishing the most recent Japanese re-print that has similar formatting to the JoJoniums.

Avaitor

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on July 04, 2016, 11:41:41 PM
I recently learned from a friend who works in the industry that Viz is contractually obligated to finish publishing the Urusei Yatsura volumes they never published before they can reprint the earlier ones. But Viz's own policies won't let them publish the later volumes because the earlier ones are out of print. Add considering that they've tried to release the series twice already to middling success...and that they have exclusive rights to the series because it's a Shogakukan property...the chances of the manga ever being reprinted and fully published in the west are highly unlikely to say the least.  :(

At least there's still hope for the anime, since the Ranma 1/2 blu-rays did well.
Ah, dang. Are they not able to release the manga digitally?

I do hope that the anime gets a release here, at least. Although do you think that we might get Blus for MI first? If so, I'd gladly buy the series if it means that UY can have a shot here. Also because I would like to own it, and I think the DVDs are out of print.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

It sure is shame that there's so much trouble re-releasing the manga over here.  :(

The Maison Ikkoku anime probably has a better chance than Urusei Yatsura to be picked up again by Viz since the it has a dub and is a shorter series overall.  The manga was also fully translated and released unflipped, so I don't think it would be too difficult for Viz to reprint their previous release or re-release it in the 10-volume wide-ban format.

I could still see UY anime getting re-licensed, but it'll probably be by Discotek or Sentai rather than Viz since it would be a sub-only release.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 05, 2016, 12:01:52 AM
I'm not sure what kind of issue they could have since Shogakukan owns Viz. If both parties wanted to change the contract, I'm not sure why they couldn't.

But really, even if they did, I would hope they aren't crazy enough to release them in singles. Nothing released before 2010 or so is going to sell unless in 2 or 3 in ones.

There probably isn't enough incentive on either side to change the contract yet, which is why it's been in limbo for so long. But if they were to ever re-release the series, the wideban editions would be the way to go. They condense the original 34-volume run into 15 collections, which would be much easier for them to sell and fans to collect.

Quote from: Avaitor on July 05, 2016, 04:33:13 PM

Ah, dang. Are they not able to release the manga digitally?

I do hope that the anime gets a release here, at least. Although do you think that we might get Blus for MI first? If so, I'd gladly buy the series if it means that UY can have a shot here. Also because I would like to own it, and I think the DVDs are out of print.

They don't even have the digital rights for the Ranma 1/2 manga yet, so probably not.

It's still up in the air whether they'll put on blus for MI. Viz already owns the license to the it, unlike UY, so it definitely has a better chance. But I've heard that it was never a particularly great seller for them, so I'm not sure if they'd be willing to take a chance on it again.