Manga you wish was licensed

Started by Markness, February 29, 2016, 12:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Compiling the list from the blog VLord linked to, I came up with this list of Golden Age Jump material that would be prime licensing material. Of course, many of these ARE licensed and some of these don't appeal to me at all, but I'm going to post the whole list anyway just to have a handy list of them somewhere.

Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star
Ginga -Nagareboshi Gin-/Silver Fang -Shooting Star Gin-
Kimagure/Capricious Orange?Road
Dragon Ball/Z
City Hunter
Tsuide ni Tonchinkan/Then to Absurdity
Sakigake!! Otokojuku/Charge Ahead!! Men's School
Saint Seiya
Kenritsu Umisora Koko Yakyuu Buin Yamashita Taro-kun/Prefectural Umisora High School Baseball Club Member Taro Yamashita
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Moeru! Onii-san/Burning Older Brother!
Bastard!! -Ankoku no Hakaishin/Destructive God of Darkness-
Jungle no Ouja/Jungle King Tar-chan
Rokudenashi/Good-for-Nothing Blues
Magical Taruruuto-kun
Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken/Dai's Big Adventure
Den'ei Shoujo/Video Girl Ai
Hana no Keiji -Kumo no Kanata ni-/Keiji of the Flowers -Beyond the Clouds-
Slam Dunk
Chinyuuki -Taro to Yukaina Nakama-tachi-/Journey to the Strange -Taro & His Pleasant Friends-
Yu Yu Hakusho/Poltergiest Report
Outer Zone
Pennant Race: Yamada Taiichi no Kiseki/The Miracle of Taiichi Yamada
Bonbonzaka Koukou Engekibu/Bonbon Hill High School Drama Club
Kyukyoku!! Hentai Kamen/Ultimate Perverted Mask!!
(Hareluya II) BOY
Ninku
Tottemo! Luckyman/Such a Luckyman!
Jigoku Sensei/Hell Teacher Nube
Captain Tsubasa: Principe del Sol
Rurouni Kenshin -Meiji Kenkaku Romantic-/Kenshin the Wanderer -The Romantic Tale of a Meiji Swordsman-
Midori no Makibao/Makibao of the Green
Jinnai-ryu Jujutsu Butoden Majima-kun Suttobasu!!/Jinnai-Style Jujutsu Fighting Tale: Majima, Go Straight!!
Level E
Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo, Masaru-san!!/Sexy Commando Side Story: That's Amazing, Masaru!!
Wild Half

And for fun, the Dark Age:

Hoshin Engi/The Historical Record of the Sealed Gods
Yu-Gi-Oh!/The King of Games!
Hanasaka Tenshi Tenten-kun/Tenten, The Angel that Made Flowers Bloom
I"s
Seikimatsu Leader-den/Tale of the Leader at the Century's End Takeshi!
One Piece
Rookies
Whistle!
Hunter X Hunter
Shaman King
Rising Impact
Hikaru no Go/Hikaru's Go
The Prince of Tennis
Zombie Powder

There's a lot of good stuff in there not licensed that I would certainly enjoy reading.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Most of the Dark Age titles that you listed either are or were licensed. Rookies, Rising Impact, and Zombie Powder are the only ones never localized here. I feel like any chance that Zombie Powder had of being brought over died with Bleach's popularity. When Bleach was still big over here, Viz could have marketed it by being by the same writer. As it is now, there'd be a lack of interest in reading an old Kubo series that was canceled after just three volumes.

As for JoJo, I have a feeling that Viz will start releasing each subsequent part after Stardust Crusaders once the anime gets up to that point. If they haven't already announced Diamond is Unbreakable, I'm positive that they will by some point later on this year.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 08, 2016, 09:08:47 PM
Most of the Dark Age titles that you listed either are or were licensed. Rookies, Rising Impact, and Zombie Powder are the only ones never localized here. I feel like any chance that Zombie Powder had of being brought over died with Bleach's popularity. When Bleach was still big over here, Viz could have marketed it by being by the same writer. As it is now, there'd be a lack of interest in reading an old Kubo series that was canceled after just three volumes.
Actually, Zombie Powder WAS licensed by Viz, oddly enough. It does give hope that something like Seikimatsu Leader-den Takeshi could get licensed since it's by the writer of Toriko.

Mostly I put the Dark Ages there as a contrast. Despite its name, pretty much all the important and well known series from then got licensed. Some of the Golden Age stuff WAS licensed, like Kimagure Orange Road and City Hunter, and are currently adrift without homes. I wish someone would scoop them up, if even just the anime versions.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, color me surprised. I never knew about that. It must not have been very popular, which still kind of falls in line with what I said about there not being enough interest in it. :D

Spark Of Spirit

It came out waaaaay back back when Bleach was still popular. A friend got it at the time, since he was a Bleach fan then, and I remember reading through it. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was probably better than post-Soul Society Bleach.

VLordGTZ

The JoJo manga seems to be in a pretty stable position in the US now, so I'm confident Viz will continue releasing more of it.  I'm honestly more concerned with whether or not WB will continue dubbing the anime. 

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 08, 2016, 09:15:26 PM
Mostly I put the Dark Ages there as a contrast. Despite its name, pretty much all the important and well known series from then got licensed. Some of the Golden Age stuff WAS licensed, like Kimagure Orange Road and City Hunter, and are currently adrift without homes. I wish someone would scoop them up, if even just the anime versions.
Actually, Kimagure Orange Road got re-licensed by DM a few years ago.  There's no physical release, but the entire manga is available on their online store.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: VLordGTZ on March 08, 2016, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 08, 2016, 09:15:26 PM
Actually, Kimagure Orange Road got re-licensed by DM a few years ago.  There's no physical release, but the entire manga is available on their online store.
You know, I knew that and completely forgot. I'll have to keep it in mind. (I'd also fund a kickstarter for 2 in 1 physical releases, but I don't see that happening)

Still, I would like to see the anime again.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, and I guess I should put the real long shot out there, which would be Ring ni Kakero. It's not as well known as Ashita no Joe is here, which gives it even less of a chance than that does.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, seeing as how Saint Seiya is fairly popular among old-school anime fans, I'd argue that it actually has a better shot than Ashita no Joe.

Markness

Thanks for the reminder about Rising Impact. Even though I am not interested in sports, I'd like to read it simply because Nakaba Suzuki is a damn good mangaka. Same with All Rounder Meguru by Hiroki Endo. Also, Dark Horse need to quit being lazy and release the rest of Eden It's An Endless World! already as well as license ARM!  >:(

Spark Of Spirit

I will say, the manga from that list I'm most interested in (other than what I've already brought up in my first post and Ring ni Kakero) isn't that extensive:

Ginga -Nagareboshi Gin-/Silver Fang -Shooting Star Gin-
City Hunter (relicense)
Moeru! Onii-san/Burning Older Brother!
Outer Zone
(Hareluya II) BOY
Tottemo! Luckyman/Such a Luckyman!
Jinnai-ryu Jujutsu Butoden Majima-kun Suttobasu!!/Jinnai-Style Jujutsu Fighting Tale: Majima, Go Straight!!

All the other big ones are already out there.

Markness

City Hunter as well as Hokuto no Ken do need license rescuing. Sadly, the first didn't sell well and Hokuto no Ken's had two runs here that weren't successful. With the exception of Dragon Ball and JJBA to a lesser extent, classic manga just isn't a thing for most American manga readers.

Spark Of Spirit

The other list I went through is the Silver Age. I didn't bother with Bronze because there's an extraordinarily low chance of anything from that era ever coming out here. Though I sure wouldn't mind a few, I don't see any of them happening outside a fluke like Ring ni Kakero, Cobra, or some compilations of Kochikame. This is the final list I'll put here.

The Silver Age:

Naruto
Black Cat
Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar/Blow that Recorder, Jaguar!
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Mr. Fullswing
Bleach
Ichigo/Strawberry 100%
Pretty Face
Eyeshield 21
Buso Renkin/Armored Alchemy
Death Note
Gintama/Silver Soul
Katekyo/Home Tutor Hitman Reborn!
D.Gray-man
Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation
Neuro: Supernatural Detective
To Love-Ru
Sket Dance
Psyren
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
Toriko
Bakuman
Inumarudashii
Kuroko no Basuke/Kuroko's Basketball
Beelzebub
Medaka Box
Nisekoi: False Love
Haikyu!!
The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki
Assassination Classroom
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
World Trigger
Isobe Isobee Monogatari ~Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo~
Hinomaru Sumo
My Hero Academia

Looking at that list, it is no wonder why I hadn't cared much for Jump's output since the start of the Dark Age. I only really like a handful from just the first half of the list, though the strongest stuff is, in my opinion, up there with the Golden Age stuff and would slide right in with them. Also, it has Bakuman, Psyren, World Trigger, and My Hero Academia, which are up there with my favorites from the Golden Age and it's pretty obvious that Death Note, Gintama, and Assassination Classroom are looked at just as highly by most folks.

Also, of all the eras, this is the one with the most licensed material over in NA. Of the list, only Jaguar, Mr. Fullswing, Reborn!, Neuro: Supernatural Detective, To Love-Ru, Sket Dance, Inumarudashii, Beelzebub, Medaka Box, The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki, Isobe Isobee Monogatari, and Hinomaru Sumo aren't currently licensed. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Saiki, Neuro, or Sumo are picked up eventually, that's a much better average than the Golden Age.

VLordGTZ