Manga you wish was licensed

Started by Markness, February 29, 2016, 12:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still hoping for Viz to release 20th Century Boys in a Perfect Edition, too. Been waiting for that since Monster finished up.

As for Kodansha USA, I honestly can't figure them out. It feels like they throw darts at a board to figure out what to license next.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

You'd think that Billy Bat would be a given, especially since it's now finished, but I guess not.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Markness

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2017, 07:27:31 PM
As for Kodansha USA, I honestly can't figure them out. It feels like they throw darts at a board to figure out what to license next.

You do have to give them credit for taking risks, though. I am glad they licensed All Rounder Meguru even if it's just digital only at the moment.

LumRanmaYasha

So they're the new Tokyopop?  :lol:

I don't think Kodansha USA's licensing practices are particularly unusual. They're picking up a diverse stable of reputable titles that have are well demanded, and using a digital-first strategy to test the waters on long-running titles like Ace of Diamond and All-Rounder Meguru makes sense considering a print release for long-running titles like those might not be worth the return. I understand the frustration that they haven't picked up Billy Bat yet, but considering that Urasawa stipulated Viz couldn't release Monster and 20th Century Boys at the same time at one point, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some contractual restrictions preventing Kodansha from releasing Billy Bat before Viz finishes releasing Master Keaton, at least that's my theory. Either way, I think it's pretty inevitable that it'll get licensed at some point.

Avaitor

If that's the case, then by checking Viz's schedule for Master Keaton (I actually know little about this work- is it worth digging into?), they should be done in about 2 years.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Avaitor on May 01, 2017, 09:38:21 PM
If that's the case, then by checking Viz's schedule for Master Keaton (I actually know little about this work- is it worth digging into?), they should be done in about 2 years.

Actually, Master Keaton will be done THIS year.  Viz has been releasing the Kazenban edition, which covered the entire series in 12 volumes.  Viz's release of Volume 12 is currently slated for this September.  I read the first volume when it came out and liked it a lot, though I still need to touch my copies of vols 2-4. :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

If it's done soon then expect an announcement of the next series coming down the pipe before summer is over.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: VLordGTZ on May 01, 2017, 11:22:03 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 01, 2017, 09:38:21 PM

Actually, Master Keaton will be done THIS year.  Viz has been releasing the Kazenban edition, which covered the entire series in 12 volumes.  Viz's release of Volume 12 is currently slated for this September.  I read the first volume when it came out and liked it a lot, though I still need to touch my copies of vols 2-4. :sweat:
Wow, really? I'm bad at this!

That's good news.

New blog!

VLordGTZ

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on May 01, 2017, 08:25:09 PM

So they're the new Tokyopop?  :lol:

I don't think Kodansha USA's licensing practices are particularly unusual. They're picking up a diverse stable of reputable titles that have are well demanded, and using a digital-first strategy to test the waters on long-running titles like Ace of Diamond and All-Rounder Meguru makes sense considering a print release for long-running titles like those might not be worth the return. I understand the frustration that they haven't picked up Billy Bat yet, but considering that Urasawa stipulated Viz couldn't release Monster and 20th Century Boys at the same time at one point, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some contractual restrictions preventing Kodansha from releasing Billy Bat before Viz finishes releasing Master Keaton, at least that's my theory. Either way, I think it's pretty inevitable that it'll get licensed at some point.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this.  I think a big advantage that Kodansha USA has over Viz is that they only need to focus on a sole publisher, which allows them to localized more nicher titles.  Their recent digital-first/only initiative is certainly helping with that as well.  Hopefully, it may lead to seeing some series like Kindaichi Case Files R and Historie getting licensed over here.

VLordGTZ

Seven Seas just put up a new manga survey where they are taking manga licensing suggestions.

I ended up suggesting Yuna of Yuragi Manor, Saint Seiya: Next Dimension, and Grappler Baki.  I'm sure Viz has passed on Yuna, so Shueisha will probably be willing to give it to another licensor now.  Next Dimension is a bit of a stretch since I'm not sure how well Viz's release of Saint Seiya did, but Seven Seas has licensed a number of Akita Shoten titles (including Devilman G), so I could see it as a possibility.  Baki is probably never going to happen but I can dream right?  With the upcoming TV adaption of New Baki the Grappler, there could be some interest in licensing the manga.

Spark Of Spirit

I decided to choose three impossible licenses since I figured why not.

Since old Shonen Jump and Dragon Magazine stuff is in play, I went with the three most plausible that are sort of well known here.

I picked City Hunter, The Weathering Continent, and Sorcerous Stabber Orphen. The first because it's one of the more famous SJ series that hasn't really had much of a chance here, and the last two because they're two of the most popular series from Dragon to never get licensed. Worst comes to worst and they're too long then there's always the e-book only route.

Avaitor

New blog!

Dreamer2

Yen Press has licensed Silver Spoon!!!!!!!

I'm pretty excited.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Dreamer2 on July 02, 2017, 12:56:42 AM
Yen Press has licensed Silver Spoon!!!!!!!
DREAMS DO COMES TRUE!!!  :joy:

It's nice seeing a licensor that isn't Viz finally be able to get a Shonen Sunday series.  Maybe there's hope for series like Souboutei to finally get licensed.

Spark Of Spirit

This means someone else can license Shonen Sunday stuff! Hooray!

And Boo for Viz not licensing anything of note (aside from Fire Punch) yet again. Why are they avoiding Kimetsu no Yaiba and Souboutei? Those are high sellers in Japan. Doesn't that indicate there should be an audience for it here?