Manga you wish was licensed

Started by Markness, February 29, 2016, 12:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Seven Seas is asking for more licensing suggestions.

I put in Ushio & Tora, Mazinger Z (original), and Souboutei Must Be Destroyed. Long shots, but since they've shown interest in classics, and now that I know Sunday series can be licensed by non-Viz companies, I gave them a shot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Markness

I put in Guyver and Soft Metal Vampire as well as Ushio & Tora. I hope atleast they'll see there is some interest in these titles. I suppose Kodansha USA could get SMV since they did license All Rounder Meguru (digital only so far) but I do want to put SMV's name out there just in case.

Oh, and Kodansha USA is finally bringing over Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm Mars Chronicle!

LumRanmaYasha

I put in Urusei Yatsura, Ushio & Tora, and Tenshi to Akuto. Hey, I can dream right? Especially if Sunday stuff is on the table for other licensors to pick up. Though thinking about it, I should've also put in Saike Once Again to throw Bomber a bone (and because it's really good).

Markness

Why can't exactly Viz do a re-release of Urusei Yatsura even though they still have the rights to it? Is it due to fear of market oversaturation or that classic manga just falls under the radar?

I forgot that I still want Medaka Box, Needless, and Kongou Banchou officially as well. Oh well, there's next month.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Markness on July 16, 2017, 03:14:49 PM
Why can't exactly Viz do a re-release of Urusei Yatsura even though they still have the rights to it? Is it due to fear of market oversaturation or that classic manga just falls under the radar?
As far as I know, Viz lost the license to UY a while ago, so I think the series is now fair game for licensing.  Strangely enough, Viz still seems to have Maison Ikkoku, so I wish they'd do a new release of that at the very least.

Just got around to filling out the Seven Seas survey.  I suggested Dagashi Kashi, Souboutei Must Be Destroyed, and Saike Once Again.  I really hope we start seeing more Sunday series get licensed.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: VLordGTZ on July 20, 2017, 06:46:49 PM
Viz has finally licensed Kimetsu no Yaiba!!!  :shakeshakeshake:
YES!

One of my top 5 most wanted licenses, easy.

EDIT: Here's the official release!

Looks like the overseas title will be Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. No complaints here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's well deserved, and I will be fully supporting this set of releases with my wallet. The only thing that would make me even more excited is an anime announcement, which of course it's still way too early for at this point.

VLordGTZ

Considering that World Trigger, MHA, and Black Clover all got anime announcements before they reached 100 chapters, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an anime announcement for KnY this year (maybe at Jump Festa).  In any case, I'm glad that Viz has finally picked up the manga.  It's been long overdue.

Spark Of Spirit

It will get an anime, that much is certain. I bet it'll get one announced at the end of the year. I just hope it's not Toei. MAPPA and Nishimura would be perfect.

But it is great that it's licensed. That's one off my list. Now to hope for Ushio & Tora and Souboutei.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The weird thing about Toei as a studio is that it's not impossible for certain projects to be well handled and maintain a consistent level of quality, at least as far as production values go. Digimon Adventure Tri, while it has some major story issues, certainly doesn't feel like it was a half-assed effort; though to be fair it's released at a snail's pace, so the animators clearly have the appropriate amount of time to work on it. But then you get an experimental series like Kado, which is one of my personal favorite anime from this year so far, and I wouldn't have even guessed that it was a Toei production if I hadn't seen the logo at the beginning of every episode.

However, their sub-division that deals with their long-running properties, typically based off of manga, is so ridiculously inconsistent in quality control, which is why we've been getting sub-par anime adaptations of everything from One Piece to World Trigger, and why Dragon Ball Super still has scheduling problems to this day, making it notorious for just how many animators have dropped out of the project since it's supposedly hell to work on that show, even if the conditions have supposedly gotten at least a bit better since its inception.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 20, 2017, 10:52:02 PM
It will get an anime, that much is certain. I bet it'll get one announced at the end of the year. I just hope it's not Toei. MAPPA and Nishimura would be perfect.

But it is great that it's licensed. That's one off my list. Now to hope for Ushio & Tora and Souboutei.
KnY doesn't seem like the type of series that Toei would be willing to produce an anime for.   Worst case scenario, I see it going to Pierrot like Black Clover.  Personally, I'm also hoping for MAPPA or maybe Madhouse.

Spark Of Spirit

It's not the type of series that screams mainstream hit. And with Pierrot busy with Boruto and Black Clover, I don't think they'll bother. And I think they would be worse than Toei. A studio that would be willing to do a season a year like, say, Production I.G. would work great for it. But it's not the type of series that would work as a long runner like Toei and Pierrot are used to.

My personal hope would be MAPPA with Nishimura directing, but that's a longshot. Still, I can hope.

Spark Of Spirit

Also licensed was Inio Asano's Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction, Black Torch by Tsuyoshi Takaki, and Kaguya-sama: Love is War by Aka Akasaka

Viz sure made up for their last dud of an announcement here. These are all series people have been begging for for some time now.

LumRanmaYasha

Really great gets. Finally, I can read KnY and Dead Dead Demon legally! Hoping they simulpub KnY in the english Jump, though it's probably unlikely considering how full up it is right now.