Author Topic: Star Wars Cinematic Universe  (Read 1393 times)

Rynnec

• Elite Beat Agents
  • American Dragon
  • Gore-fapper
Re: Star Wars Cinematic Universe
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 12:21:24 AM »
Saw the movie today. I loved, but I can definitely see why fans of the OT characters, and especially the EU, would hate it. What we did get was pretty interesting and I honestly did like Luke's characterization here, especially a certain controversial moment also gave Kylo Ren a lot of much needed pathos other than being a whiny Vader fanboy, speaking of which, Kylo's quickly becoming one of my favorite SW characters because of this movie. There were things I didn't like, Rose was easily the weakest character in the film and the worst character introduced in the ST so far.
Spoiler
I also thought the twist of Benico Del Toro's character selling out the Resistance was lame and predictable, I like the idea of a neutral party in Star Wars so seeing one of the few neutral characters in the movies turn out to be a backstabbing douche was groan worthy, especially since aside from Kylo Ren and maybe Snoke (who I'm sure will return for episode IX somehow) most of the villains are underwhelming as characters as is. Hux is mostly a joke, and Phasma did fuck all except job to Finn and have an awesome entrance.

It's a flawed film to be sure, but no where near as bad as detractors are making it out to be.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2018, 01:23:50 AM »
In regard to Benicio Del Toro's character:

Spoiler
They made it a point that he wasn't really taking The First Order's side, but just cutting a deal with them to sell out the resistance in order to save his own ass. He's basically taking Lando's role from The Empire Strikes Back, in that he doesn't really care about either side of the opposing forces, but ultimately has to serve the stronger side when he is confronted by them.

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 04:40:33 AM »
Speaking of Del Toro, I missed one of the biggest puns in the movie: That Rose and Finn were looking for an MC, but got a DJ instead.

Lord Dalek

• Writer of a generation
  • Thaumatrio
  • Eats 'Iz Spinach
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
Surprising noone. Disney threw out the EU because Vector Prime and the New Jedi Order was hot garbage.