Manga Mavericks

Started by LumRanmaYasha, April 07, 2016, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I think the theory with Dabi is that he was from a previous marriage with another fire quirk user. It failed and that's why he set about building up Todoroki as someone with both fire and ice. Another suspicious encounter was when Gran Torino assaulted the league and revealed all their real names... except Dabi who was already knocked out. There's definitely something up with him. Again, it's plausible, but there's not enough information yet.

And as for the anime, I seem to be in the minority, but I like the second OP way more than the first. I dunno, I just didn't care for the song much. The visuals were well done but the music didn't feel like a good fit. I think this OP and the two EDs hit the MHA vibe a lot closer to what I imagined.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

I like the second OP, but I think I like the first OP more between the two. I actually quite like the song, and the way it ends with "THE DAY HAS COME" while showing Midoriya punch like All Might is a great clincher. But I really do like the second OP's motif of all the characters stretching and preparing before they fight in the sports festival.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Another potential MF topic question: Also, in the spirit of superheroes and crossovers, being that Horikoshi clearly takes a lot of influence from American comic books, what Western superhero would it be most fun to see interact with the characters of the MHA Universe? (Obviously in a hypothetical scenario in which they find themselves warped into MHA's reality).

LumRanmaYasha

New Manga Mavericks is up! A shorter, back-to-basics episode where we just cover the news and a few polls. Tomorrow we're recording the MHA Manga Fight, so if you guys have any more questions/topic suggestions for us, make sure to send them to us before tomorrow morning. Also, we're doing our GTO episode in two weeks, so if you have any questions/topics you want to see discussed for that send them as well.

gunswordfist

Where does Deku rank among any of your favorite superheroes? Do any of y'all find him to be relatable?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Man, my voice is hoarse from recording so many podcasts this weekend.  :gonk:

Anyhoo, we recorded the Manga Fight this morning! We got so many MHA questions that we decided to just record an MHA Q&A special a la our JoJo's Q&A special, which should come out on May 19th. The Manga Fight itself will be out this friday. There were some really good discussions on there, so I think you guys will really enjoy it!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

We're recording our Great Teacher Onizuka retrospective tomorrow morning at 11am CST! As always, send us any questions you want us to answer of the show!

As for the MHA Manga Fight, I'm hoping to finish editing it this weekend and post it by monday. It's worth the wait!

LumRanmaYasha

Our My Hero Academia Manga Fight is out!! Doctor rejoins us to debate Jeff Ruberg, mobile developer for Viz Media! The arguments get so heated that at one point Colton and I actually get into a spirited debate over how to judge one of the matches!  :D

LumRanmaYasha

Our GTO episode is out! We talk about the series in depth, including a lenghty discussion of the manga's second half and the sequels, as well as fun tidbits about Tokyopop's promotion of the series back in the day and how filthy rich Tohru Fujisawa is nowadays.

Spark Of Spirit

Congrats on being one of the few people with their head on their shoulders over this Keijo thing. It didn't exist in a vacuum. It was a series Shogakukan left in their magazine and promoted for three years despite having no gain from doing so. If it was in Jump it would have been canceled in a few months and nobody would have protested it. The whole thing is silly.

Angel Heart is a non-canon sequel to City Hunter and is far more serious in tone than that one. Although, like everything Hojo has done, it doesn't really have any presence here. I still keep hoping someone will take a risk and give City Hunter a proper release again since unlike FOTNS the original release was fumbled. Doesn't even have to be the whole series since it's episodic. I've just really liked what I've read.

I'd like to be more excited for more light novels getting released over here, but nobody is touching the older stuff I'd actually really like to read.

I'll check out the rest later.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

There's been a lot of bullshit in the last few weeks that's been pushing me over the edge to start making youtube vids, this Keijo thing being one of them. The question shouldn't be why Keijo was cancelled. That much is obvious. The question should be why it was never successful in the first place and how it managed to continue for as long as it did.

I think I'd appreciate Angel Heart more if I read City Hunter, which I need to do sometime. It seems up my alley.

Hope you enjoy our GTO discussion and the MHA Manga Fight when you're able to listen to them!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I listened to most of the MHA manga fight. I have a few speedround questions to still listen to, but overall it was a good set of debates, especially that fourth question about who should get their own solo series. Whoever submitted that question is clearly a genius, and probably quite handsome and popular as well. :humhumhum:

I do really like Jeff's idea of Tokoyami's shadow bring the traitor. I never would have thought if it, and while it's probably not going to be true in the actual manga, his logic surprisingly makes a lot of sense.

LumRanmaYasha

Glad you enjoyed the Manga Fight! And I agree, your question led to a great debate! Thanks! :)

Spark Of Spirit

Good GTO discussion. Yes, the manga does begin to become long in the tooth, but as a whole I think it's a great series.

The MHA Manga Fight was as entertaining as always. It was nice hearing people who have different views on heroes and villains, as well as the series itself. The great thing about MHA is how it gets heroes and villains right on so many different levels. I expect a lot of new people commenting on this subject when Stain shows up in the anime. Of the two I think Jeff's arguments were the more solid, even if I didn't always agree with them, but they both played off each other well. Also, if Doctor wants an Aizawa series, he's actually appeared in the Vigilante spin-off on his day off when he gets pulled into work.

The traitor could be anyone, but I do think it's likely to be a student in some way. It would have to be someone who went up against the League of Villains and wasn't put at as much risk as everyone else. The reason I say this is because if they were traitors, they certainly wouldn't be put in situations where they're lives would be put at risk. Even less likely would be one on one confrontations where they were almost directly killed. This means it isn't Midoriya, Bakugo, Ida, Todoroki, Tsuyu, Shoji, Kirishima, Yaoyarozu, Kendo, and Tetsutetsu. For teachers, it isn't the Principal (his interior monologue disproves him), All Might, Aizawa, or Blood King, for much the same reasons. Most likely characters to me would be Hagakure or Kaminari at this point. But there just isn't enough info to know.

Good discussion. If you ever do a Manga Fight over YYH or HxH, you need to have Dr. Ensatsu-ken on. That would be great.

Unrelated, but apparently Yonezu Kenshi wrote Peace Sign after reading the MHA manga. I wondered why the song fit so well with the series, and now I know why it was chosen for the OP.