Manga Mavericks

Started by LumRanmaYasha, April 07, 2016, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Our Death Note retrospective is out! We talk about how the series holds up after ten years and what it's greatest strengths are. Trust me when I say it's a way more entertaining way to spend two hours than watching the Netflix film is.  ;)

Our friend Buggy also recently did a phenomenal podcast about Death Note, taking a documentary-style approach to determine what legacy Death Note has left after ten years and whether it's still relevant in the modern anime landscape. It's one of the best podcasts I've heard all year and I absolutely recommend it as a complement to our own podcast.

We'll of course be recording a podcast about the Netflix Death Note film tonight, and we're recording another podcast tomorrow weighing in on the anime/manga piracy debate. We'll be joined by Maxy Barnard and Buggy for the latter, as they have strong but polar attitudes towards the subject. If you guys have any questions or topics you'd like to see us bring up in regards to both these topics, let us know!

LumRanmaYasha

We'll be recording about the Netflix Death Note film in about an hour, so if you have any questions or topics you want us to discuss, get them in quick!

gunswordfist

Does anyone else hate Misa?
Favorite things about the Near arc and whatever the hell the arc is called when L and Light are chained together?
Does anyone else think that Naomi Misora should have had a much bigger role is the series?
What's the dumbest thing Light has ever done in the series?
What's the dumbest thing L has ever done in the series?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks for the questions GSF! We answered them on the podcast, which should be out by friday.  :)

gunswordfist

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

Due to personal reasons, Colton is taking a break from podcasting and Manga Mavericks has been put on hiatus for a while. That doesn't mean I'm not still doing podcasts though! There's been TWO new Manga Mavericks @ Movies, one about Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagilostro and one about Marvel's Inhumans. We also reviewed the Juni Taisen: Zodiac War manga, which Viz is simulpublishing. All of these were a lot of fun to record, the Inhumans podcast in particular being a blast thanks to our Jack Kirby-loving friend Jonathan going on a long rant about how Marvel is ruining his creations and shitting on their legacy.  :D

Tomorrow we're recording a podcast about the Black Clover anime with Annaliese and Maxy! We'll be recording it around 10am CDT, so this is kinda late notice, but I'd love it if you guys could give us any questions or comments about the anime or the series in general you'd like us to address on the show.  :)

gunswordfist

I hope Colton is ok. Ohhhh, The Castle of Cagilostro  :SHOCK:

Daikun

Is All-Comic okay? :whuh:

For the past few episodes, I haven't been able to use their player AT ALL. I've had to Google your show just to find your latest episodes on other sites so it can work properly.

I've tried this on multiple browsers, so it doesn't appear to be a browser problem.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Daikun on October 09, 2017, 05:47:53 AM

For the past few episodes, I haven't been able to use their player AT ALL. I've had to Google your show just to find your latest episodes on other sites so it can work properly.

I've tried this on multiple browsers, so it doesn't appear to be a browser problem.
I think it's a problem with the audio player that All-Comic uses (Hipcast).  Even the old episodes don't seem to be playing anymore, which is strange.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: VLordGTZ on October 09, 2017, 07:44:26 PM
Quote from: Daikun on October 09, 2017, 05:47:53 AM

I think it's a problem with the audio player that All-Comic uses (Hipcast).  Even the old episodes don't seem to be playing anymore, which is strange.

We've tried contacting Hipcast several times these last few weeks but they keeping insisting the audio files just take a long time to load. I've repeatedly tested it out and no, they won't load no matter how long I wait. And now not only is Hipcast not loading the audio files, they aren't even letting me publish through them. The Hipcast account is linked to our iTunes and is how the show gets uploaded on there. I'm getting really sick of all of these problems, so we might end up switching services if they don't fix this.  :srs:

Daikun

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on October 23, 2017, 12:06:12 AMWe've tried contacting Hipcast several times these last few weeks but they keeping insisting the audio files just take a long time to load. I've repeatedly tested it out and no, they won't load no matter how long I wait. And now not only is Hipcast not loading the audio files, they aren't even letting me publish through them. The Hipcast account is linked to our iTunes and is how the show gets uploaded on there. I'm getting really sick of all of these problems, so we might end up switching services if they don't fix this.  :srs:

Player FM is playing your podcast well. This is what I've been using when Hipcast wasn't working. Maybe give that a try?

https://player.fm/series/manga-mavericks

LumRanmaYasha

Hey guys, we'll be recording our Best of Manga in 2017 podcast later tonight! Share with us your favorite moments in manga this year, as well as send us questions for us to answer on the show!

The show's been on a bit of a hiatus because we've both been busy recently, but we're coming back strong with big plans for the show in 2018. We're going to be doing a lot of Shonen Jump related podcasts and projects to celebrate it's 50th anniversary, and I might be contacting some of you guys about those with more details sometime soon. ;) Definitely keep tabs on the podcast in 2018 - I think it's going to be a big year for us.

Here are some of our recent podcasts that I haven't posted here yet:

@ Movies #9: "The Ancient Magus's Bride & Lupin III: The Blood Spray of Goemon Ishikawa" - We talked about Crunchyroll's theatrical screening of the first three episodes of Ancient Magus's Bride and Takeshi Koike's latest Lupin flick.

@ Movies #10: "Your Name & A Silent Voice" - Talking about the biggest anime films of 2016.

@ Movies #11: "Samurai Jack" - We discussed both the theatrical screening of the first three episodes as well as the entirety of season 5.

@ Movies Special: "Justice League" - A livestream we did for our 100th subscriber special! We talked about Justice League and a bunch of other bullshit for three hours. Jonathan had so much vitriol for this movie and it was amazing. A pretty hilarious time all around!

Also, our Hipcast embeds are working again, so the podcasts should play on All-Comic without problem now!

Spark Of Spirit

Some spoilers in my post.

Favorite moments were Kirishima and Fatgum taking down Rappa, Mirio saving Eri, and Midoriya going 100% against Overhaul. It was a great year for MHA. Kimetsu no Yaiba had Rengoku's death and the intense battle still currently going on right now. Some people said Promised Neverland has been drifting since they escaped, but I have enjoyed everything from meeting Sonju and Mujika to the mystery man and up to the current predicament. Those would be my favorite three of the year.

As for hopes for next year, I'm hoping Ashihara recovers and World Trigger makes a return. It sold very well this year despite having no new material. People are waiting, and I hope he is able to continue.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton