"Captain America: Civil War" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 08, 2016, 07:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Release Date: May 6, 2016
Studio: Marvel Entertainment
Director: Anthony & Joe Russo
Aspect Ratio: 2.35 : 1
Starring: Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Don Cheadle, Jeremy Renner, Chadwick Boseman, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Rudd, Emily VanCamp, Tom Holland, Frank Grillo, William Hurt, Daniel Brühl

Plot Summary: Political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability when the actions of the Avengers lead to collateral damage. The new status quo deeply divides members of the team. As the debate escalates into an all-out feud, every Avenger must pick a side.

COMMENTS?

Now, I don't want to oversell this movie since I will definitely have to rewatch it to confirm how much I enjoyed it, but there are a few things I have to say.

The first was how deftly it handled a large cast without the need of knowing the previous non-Cap films. The writers added enough characterization to each character to give them room to breathe and gave them a role in the story that made each and every one of them work to their best. Continuity for those who keep up is nice, but for new watchers-- you probably won't be too far in the deep end as long as you pay attention. Some are characterizing this as an Avengers 2.5, but that doesn't really sell it for what it is. Characters from the first and second movie also complete their arcs from those films ending the movie sufficiently developed from where they started. The Captain America movies have always been the best superhero movies when it comes to character development, and this film shows why in spades.

As a third movie in the Captain America series of movies, Civil War is the film that shows that scrawny punk from Brooklyn from the first movie and the man out of time from the second movie are not only one in the same, but finally confident in who Captain America really is. It's a full character arc with an ending that solidifies the Captain America series as the best superhero trilogy ever.

I could go on about every amazing scene, every amazing line of dialogue, every bit of direction perfectly framed, and the underlying themes that were as powerful as ever, and I may do that in future posts in this thread, but I will not do it here for those who haven't sent he movie and are only looking at the first post.

Needless to say, Captain America Civil War is one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. How about you?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The movie is excellent. A top five MCU films for sure, though currently I do still prefer the first two CA films on the whole.

But, yes, this is now the best superhero film trilogy to date. All you people who said that Captain America was boring and would have the weakest of the MCU movies now look like complete idiots.

Dr. Insomniac

Watching this after Civil War makes Iron Man 2 a bit better.

And I want to joke that the Russo brothers hate Agent Carter, because now that show's miserable to watch with HYDRA's takeover, Peggy only getting to reunite with Steve as an old senile lady, and now Howard being mercilessly killed by one of his friends in mind.