Captain Underpants

Started by Daikun, March 27, 2017, 01:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

DreamWorks' next movie, despite the stupid-sounding title, actually looks quite good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HvBP3TVfoQ

Captain Underpants is based on a series of children's books, which Wikipedia has an article about. It's about two kids who hypnotize their principal into becoming a superhero after he was being mean to them for so long. DreamWorks picked up the rights to this series and the movie has been in development for 6 years.

LumRanmaYasha

The Captain Underpants books were among my favorites as a kid and I have a lot of nostalgia for the series. The trailer doesn't particularly sell me on the movie, since the style of humor seems kind of obnoxious and strangely dumbed down from the books, and I'm not sold on the casting for Harold and George, but I'll be seeing it anyways just because I've wanted to see these stories adapted into animation since childhood.

Peanutbutter

I also think it looks good. What struck me is they had an easy ticket for using toilet humor just by mentioning Prof. Poopypants' name, and yet they didn't take it. They let the film's style of humor showcase itself which was cool. Underpants usually relied on physical humor and slapstick rather than full on bathroom jokes so its not too big a surprise.

Daxdiv

People did seem the like the trailer when I went to see Power Rangers. Really looking forward to this film, as I do find the art style to be pretty neat.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daxdiv on March 28, 2017, 06:43:41 AM
People did seem the like the trailer when I went to see Power Rangers. Really looking forward to this film, as I do find the art style to be pretty neat.

Agreed, they kept the exact style of the books which looks more fluid in 3D animation than a number of other CGI films. Little things like that tell me this is being made by genuine fans of the books.

Avaitor

It looks pretty, and I have great memories of the books. I might give it a go.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

It's been getting pretty good reviews. Has anyone here seen it yet?

Avaitor

Nah, but I'm considering hitting it up when I can see it for cheap. It sounds like a faithful take on the first book, so I'm curious to see how it'll hold up. I really liked those books as a child.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on June 07, 2017, 06:29:07 PM
It's been getting pretty good reviews. Has anyone here seen it yet?

Not surprised from the trailers making it look so good.

I plan to see it once I'm done with Pirates 5 and Wonder Woman. Seeing Pirates with my brother and aunt tomorrow. Wonder Woman I might see with my mom. Not sure if she'll go with me to see CU too but I hope so.

Daikun

Like all other DWA movies, it's getting a Netflix series.

Check out the theme song.