The Greatest Anime Episode Ever (Nomination Thread)

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 06, 2016, 12:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

We all have our favorite shows, and we all have our favorite episodes of those shows. The ones that we come back to and can rewatch again and again without ever getting tired of them. A lot of us have been on an anime buzz lately, so why not see which episodes of anime the members of this board think stand above the rest? You see where I'm going with this. There's thousands of anime and tens of thousands of anime episodes, but only one can earn the honor and privilege of being the Greatest Anime Episode Ever.

We all know the drill by now, but before we start nominating let's address the elephant in the room. We've suffered burnout from competitions that have dragged a few rounds too long in the past, and with a bountiful subject like anime episodes, it would be all too easy to run the risk of over-stuffing the competition with too many nominations. That's why we are sticking to strict limits this time. Based on previous competitions, the sweet spot for tournaments like this tends to be 64-128 total nominations, which I think is a perfectly reasonable for competition like this. Furthermore, I'm going to place a cap on the number of episodes from one particular show you can nominate, to prevent the over-saturation of any particular show in the competition. While that means we'll all have to be a bit more selective in what we choose to nominate, I think that'll just make for a more competitive, engaging, and entertaining tournament on the whole.

With that in mind, I'm letting everyone nominate 13 episodes - a full cour's worth. Do not expect any extensions to the amount of nominations people can make unless there are more participants whose nominations take us over the established maximum limit, or if we need a few more nominations to fill before reaching either the minimum limit of 64 episodes, the ideal limit of 100 nominations (which I think would be very fitting for a competition of this nature), or the maximum limit of 128 nominations.

Finally, don't worry about nominating episodes you worry will be "spoiler-y" for people who haven't watched the series in question. Most of us have seen the bulk of each other's favorite anime, or are otherwise interested in checking out certain series that have been frequently recommended. This tournament can be used as a means to get into some series people haven't gotten around to yet, and in any case, people can choose to watch or not watch the episodes from series they haven't seen yet that might be spoiler-y at their own discretion.

So, to re-state the guidelines:

1. Every member is allowed up to 13 nominations.
2. Each member is only allowed to nominate up to 3 episodes per series. Shows divided into seasons still just count as one series, but franchises comprised of multiple distinct entries are considered different series. So, you can nominate up to 3 episodes for any of the Lupin the Third or Dragon Ball shows since they are all technically different series, but you can't nominate 3 episodes from both seasons of Ushio & Tora or Hajime no Ippo because it's all considered part of the same show. If the need arises, shows that are considered grey areas may be brought up and assessed on a case by case basis.
3. TV Specials and OVAs are eligible nominations.
4. As for multi-parters, I figure I'd allow them depending on how they were initially broadcast. If every part originally aired back to back, I'd count them as one nomination, but if they were broadcast on different sequential weeks I think they should just be treated as separate episodes. But it can be a case by case basis depending on the multi-parter in question.
5. The minimum amount of nominations needed to start the competition is 64, the ideal is 100, and the maximum is 128.
6. These limits will only be lifted if a) more people than expected make nominations necessitating a higher cap to accommodate them, or b) there is a need for additional nominations to reach the previously established limits.

And that's it! Now, let's get the ball rolling with a full-cour's worth of my own all-time favorite anime episodes:

1. FLCL #3: "Marquis de Carabas"
2. Cowboy Bebop #5: "Ballad of Fallen Angels"
3. Paranoia Agent #10: "Mellow Maromi"
4. Detective Conan #11: "Moonlight Sonata Murder Case"
5. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo #26: "Dengaku-Man: Pixie or Pit-bull? He'll Love You or Hate You!"
6. Trigun #23: "Paradise"
7. Revolutionary Girl Utena #37: "The One to Revolutionize the World"
8. Ashita no Joe 2 #47: "Now the youthful days are burned out"
9. Yu Yu Hakusho #69: "The Power of Taboo"
10. Maison Ikkoku #92: "Wedding Bells for Kozue! Is Godai's Love Eternal?!"
11. Legend of the Galactic Heroes #108: "Brunhild Wants Blood"
12. Ranma 1/2 #111: "The Case of the Missing Takoyaki"
13. Urusei Yatsura OVA #12: "The Obstacle Course Swim Race"

You don't need to add links with your nominations like I did, but doing so will certainly make it easier for me to set up rounds when the competition starts. I'd like to start the competition by Sunday July 10th, which should give everyone enough time to think over and compile their choices. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys pick!

Pharass

Cowboy Bebop #22: Cowboy Funk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y4Pq3DO6hs)
Haibane Renmei #12: Bell Nuts - Passing of the Year Festival - Reconciliation (https://kissanime.to/Anime/Haibane-Renmei-Sub/Episode-012?id=45836)
Mushi-Shi #12: One-Eyed Fish (https://kissanime.to/Anime/Mushishi/Episode-012?id=2931)
Paranoia Agent #8: Happy Family Planning (https://kissanime.to/Anime/Mousou-Dairinin/Episode-008?id=75571)
Princess Tutu # 13: Swan Lake (https://kissanime.to/Anime/Princess-Tutu/Episode-013?id=39093)
Revolutionary Girl Utena # 27: Nanami's Egg (https://kissanime.to/Anime/Shoujo-Kakumei-Utena/Episode-027?id=10127)
Rose of Versailles # 19: Farewell My Sister (http://www.crunchyroll.com/the-rose-of-versailles/episode-19-farewell-my-sister-642953)

I'll try and see if I can come up with the remaining six later.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

Trigun #12: Diablo
Trigun #17: Rem Saverem
Trigun #26: Under the Sky So Blue
Ushio & Tora #12: Road to the Touno Yokai Battle (Part One)
Ushio & Tora #20: The Demon Returns
Ushio & Tora #39: The Fate of Ushio & Tora
Yu Yu Hakusho #74: Sleep Doctor Sleep
Blood Blockade Battlefront #4: Blood Line Fever
Blood Blockade Battlefront #12: Hello, World!
Irresponsible Captain Tylor #23: The Longest Day in Space
Cowboy Bebop #20: Pierrot le Fou
Outlaw Star #4: When the Hot Ice Melts (video is slightly sped up, unfortunately)
Tiger & Bunny #7: "The Wolf Knows What the Ill Beast Thinks."

Sorry about the Outlaw Star video. It would be nice if Funi could work through their issues with Bandai and get it up themselves already.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll add in links later:

Space Brothers #28: "Miracle of Doha"
Yu Yu Hakusho #73: "The Doctor's Disease"
Yu Yu Hakusho #84: "Kurama's Anger, Gourmet's Guest"
Cowboy Bebop #26: "The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)"
Trigun #24: Sin
Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betryal #4: "The Cross-Shaped Wound"
Digimon Adventure #21: "Home Away From Home" (Japanese Audio w/ Subtitles)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket #6: "War in the Pocket"
Mr. Osomatsu #1: "Osomatsu-kun Returns"

I'm still thinking of what to fill in my last four slots with. This is actually really damn tough since there are so many different series and episodes to pick from. I'm expecting most of my choices to lose in the first round since most of these don't work well as stand-alone episodes, but I'm still picking the ones that mean the most to me, personally.

VLordGTZ

I'll probably add some more later but here's what I have so far:

Yu Yu Hakusho #89: "Death of a Spirit Detective"
Fate/Zero #24: "The Last Command Spell"
Silver Spoon Season 2 #8: "Hachiken Howls"
Mr. Osomatsu #25: "Osomatsu-san, Such As It Was"
Space Dandy #20: "Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby"
Detective Conan #76: "Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"
Lupin III Part IV #13: "The End of Lupin III"

gunswordfist

Kind of placeholders so I won't forget are they may be subjected to change and links will come:
Ushio & Tora #19: The Demon That Turns Back Time
Ushio & Tora # 34: Tora
Ushio & Tora # 36: To The Promised Night
Rurouni Kenshin #11: Farewell, the Strongest Man: The Clash of Light and Shadow
Rurouni Kenshin #30
Rurouni Kenshin #41: The Ultimate Technique Of The Hiten-Mitsurugi Style
Trigun # 21: Out Of Time (thanks for nominating Diablo, Spark.)
Trigun # 3: Peace Maker
One Punch Man #8 The Deep Sea King
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: #16: Justice Part 2
My Hero Academia #2: What it Takes to Be A Hero
Hunter X Hunter 1999 # 56: Scarlet Eyes X Duel X Cost of Life
Hunter X Hunter 2011 # 118: A X False X Rage

Agghhhhh! This took hours.
I think I got to list my top 3/4 Rurouni Kenshin episodes! I was just going to say that the Hiko and Aoshi episodes are notably for having a notable change but Kenshin vs Saito is a billion times better than the manga counterpart. Also, Peace Maker will always get my respect. Frank is probably my 4th favorite character in the series. Plus Vash's drinking seals the deal for him being my favorite and choice for most charismatic wanderer ever.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 06, 2016, 10:39:43 AM
Sorry about the Outlaw Star video. It would be nice if Funi could work through their issues with Bandai and get it up themselves already.

Don't worry. I'll replace the link with one that plays normally. I was glad to see you nominate "The Longest Day in Space," btw. That's my favorite episode of Captain Tylor:)

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 06, 2016, 12:14:44 PM
I'm still thinking of what to fill in my last four slots with. This is actually really damn tough since there are so many different series and episodes to pick from. I'm expecting most of my choices to lose in the first round since most of these don't work well as stand-alone episodes, but I'm still picking the ones that mean the most to me, personally.

Don't worry about it. I myself went about choosing my nominations based on how much I loved those episodes, not on what were better stand-alones and would be more likely to win the competition. Besides, you've nominated a lot of great choices.  ;)

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 06, 2016, 08:21:14 PM
Rurouni Kenshin #11: Farewell, the Strongest Man: The Clash of Light and Shadow
Rurouni Kenshin #29 and 30
Rurouni Kenshin #41: The Ultimate Technique Of The Hiten-Mitsurugi Style

I'm sorry GSF, but I'm only letting people nominate up to 3 episodes per show at this point in time, and episodes 29 & 30 don't really fit the parameters for nominating multi-parters as I outlined in the guidelines, so I'll need you to remove one of your Kenshin noms from your list.  :(

gunswordfist

LumRanmaYasha

gunswordfist

Also, I hate writing those long ass RK episode titles. Who the fuck created those?

LumRanmaYasha

Great choices, but...

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 06, 2016, 08:21:14 PM
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: #15 & #16: Justice Part 1 and 2

...the Justice two-parter also doesn't fit the guidelines in regards to nominating multi-parters. I'm afraid you're going to need to either choose one part over the other to nominate, or take out one of your other choices.  :sweat:

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Quote from: VLordGTZ on July 06, 2016, 03:10:08 PM
I'll probably add some more later but here's what I have so far:

Yu Yu Hakusho #89: "Death of a Spirit Detective"
Fate/Zero #24: "The Last Command Spell"
Silver Spoon Season 2 #8: "Hachiken Howls"
Mr. Osomatsu #25: "Osomatsu-san, Such As It Was"
Space Dandy #20: "Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby"
Detective Conan #76: "Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"
Lupin III Part IV #13: "The End of Lupin III"

More nominations:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure #20: "Young Caesar"