The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

We all have our favorite episodes of anime, and now, it's time to stack them against each other and see which one rates as AR's pick for the one, the only, Greatest Anime Episode Ever.

For the first round, I want to give everyone enough time to watch and/or re-watch the episodes in each match. I've decided to do two matches a week, but unlike in the past, these matches will be on different days, since I think having to watch eight episodes in a week would feel more daunting to people than having to watch 4 episodes in 4 days. For now, I'm planning to update matches on Sundays and Thursdays, which should give ample time for people to watch through each episode in a match before they vote.

In regards to linking to the episodes themselves, I'm basically following this preference system: Youtube>Crunchyroll>FUNimation>[adult swim] video>Viz/Hulu>Daisuki>KissAnime. I know some people can't watch stuff on Hulu so I'll try to avoid linking there if I can, but I'll still generally lean towards listing the legal places where people can watch stuff before the unofficial/illegal ones.

Similarly, when it comes to posting sub and dub versions of shows, following the same preference system above, I'll post the most readily available version found on that site. If both the dub and site are available, I'll lean towards the dubbed version unless specifically desired otherwise by the person who nominated the episode.

That's about it! Now, without further ado, let's start the first match!

Round 1: Match 1

The Big O #14: "Roger the Wanderer"

VS.

Death Note #17: "Execution"

VS.

Ouran High School Host Club #13: "Haruhi in Wonderland"

VS.

Revolutionary Girl Utena #37: "The One Who Brings the World Revolution"

Foggle

I'll watch the Big O and Death Note episodes dubbed because they had pretty good ones. How are the Ouran and Utena dubs?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ouran's dub is great. I know absolutely nothing about Utenna.

Also, fair warning CX, it's going to be hard finding links to subbed versions of the DBZ TV Specials, legally or otherwise. I tried and still haven't found anything other than the dub. In such case, don't worry about linking to the episodes if nothing comes up.

Pharass

I wouldn't know either, I've only watched Utena subbed.

The Death Note and Ouran episodes aren't available to me. I'm going to look for alternative ways to watch them (shouldn't be hard).
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on July 10, 2016, 01:59:09 AM
I'll watch the Big O and Death Note episodes dubbed because they had pretty good ones. How are the Ouran and Utena dubs?

The Utena dub isn't very good. I'd recommend watching it subbed.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 10, 2016, 02:11:55 AM
Also, fair warning CX, it's going to be hard finding links to subbed versions of the DBZ TV Specials, legally or otherwise. I tried and still haven't found anything other than the dub. In such case, don't worry about linking to the episodes if nothing comes up.

Nah, they're on FUNi's site if you're an EVS subscriber, and I've found other links. We're good.  :)

Avaitor

I'm going to try to find time before Thursday to watch these. Utena is new to me, but I haven't seen the other 3 in a while, even though two of these are my nominations. :P
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll vote on this round either sometime later today or tomorrow. I've watched three of these episodes already, but really need to re-watch two of them, and I haven't seen Utena so that one's going to be completely new to me.

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on July 10, 2016, 10:01:43 AMthey're on FUNi's site if you're an EVS subscriber, and I've found other links. We're good.  :)

Nice! :joy:

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 10, 2016, 11:13:40 AMPass on this one. Yeah I know, I suck.

Well, just so long as you know....

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

The only one of these I've seen is Big O, so I'll probably be passing on this round.

LumRanmaYasha

Okay, I've rewatched these episodes and am ready to vote!

"The One Who Brings the World Revolution" -
Spoiler
The friendship between Utena and Anthy forms the emotional framework of RGU, and here their relationship is on the brink of falling apart due to their resentment towards the other's relationship with Akio and regrets over the way they've treated the other. Additionally, Utena starts to lose her sense of identity as her idealistic vision of the "prince" she's always tried to emulate starts to crumble as she comes to learn more about what Akio is actually like, but she feigns ignorance to his true intentions out of attraction to him. Ultimately, she's able to move on thanks to the examples of Juri, Miki, and Nanami, who have moved on from the loves and regrets that tormented them, and whose friendship with Utena makes her realize that what she has with Anthy is more important to her than Akio or the revolution. The scene where Anthy and Utena both claim to have poisoned the other's food but continue to eat it anyway shows the trust they continue to place in each other even after all the lies and jealousies they've held towards one another, and when Anthy can't bear her burdens and what she's done to Utena anymore and tries to commit suicide, Utena tells her to not run away from her and face their problems together. In the end, despite the risk, Utena chooses to face Akio not to meet her fairy tale prince, but to free Anthy from his control and stop his machinations, and with Utena's support Anthy's received the confidence to stand up for herself and against her brother for once. The way this episode puts Utena and Anthy's friendship through the wringer but has them come out stronger for it cemented it as my favorite Utena episode ever since I first watched it and it remains so now.
[close]

"Roger the Wanderer" -
Spoiler
The framework for this episode is brilliant. Roger starts to think about how without any memories his world, life, past, and sense of self could all be a fabrication, and his persona of "Roger Smith" not being the real him, but just a part he's playing in a constructed world that's operating like some sort of play. Tormented by this thought, he imagines himself in a world where he's stripped of everything that makes him "Roger Smith," scrutinizes the circumstances which led him to piloting the Big O, and basically tries to comes to figure out who he really is in a world where other people don't know and can't define his identity for him, and what purpose his life would serve without Big O and the people around him. Ultimately, he realizes that that fear, his self-doubts about being who he thinks he is, is controlling him and letting him run away from the real problems and questions he needs to ask, and the job he must do. Whether he's playing a part or not, so long as people continue to call him "Roger Smith," that is who he is and shall always be.
[close]

"Haruhi in Wonderland" -
Spoiler
We're on a roll with deeply introspective episodes this match! And naturally, just like the above episodes of their respective series, this happens to be my favorite episode of Ouran. In a Alice-in-Wonderland-styled fantasy dream Haruhi explores her abandonment issues and sadness towards the death of her mother, reevaluates how she sees herself as a person and woman, and criticizes her own serious, studious personality for preventing her from getting the most out of life and appreciating the friends she's made in the Host Club and Ouran Academy, and ultimately, she's able to let go of some of her baggage and come to terms with her lingering feelings towards her mother and embrace the fact she's genuinely having fun being in the Host Club and with her friends.
[close]

"Execution" -
Spoiler
You got to love the lengths that both Light and L go in order to outwit the other, and L's plot here is really cool, as he creates a scenario in order to forcibly determine whether or not L and Misa are the Kiras by putting them in an emotionally-intense situation to see if they'd make a mistake under pressure and determine their capabilities if either of them were Kira. If it weren't for the fact that they had both lost their memories of having Death Notes he may have very well succeeded in at least exposing Misa definitively, but in the end he does have enough evidence on her to consider her the second Kira without a shadow of doubt. A really cool plan that definitely keeps the viewer on their toes while watching the episode and shows L at some of his best.
[close]

Great first match, all in all.  ;D

Pharass

Question: I've never watched any of Ouran, is it the more episodic type of anime (รก la Mushi-Shi) where you can just start with any given episode and it won't be a problem, or do you have to watch them in order?

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ouran is mostly an episodic anime. You could watch this episode without any prior exposure to the series and still get most of what's going on.

Pharass

That's good to know, thank you.
I'll be back with my votes in a bit. Though I should point out that I already know which my #1 will be.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In the interest of getting my votes in, I'll list my rankings now and explain my choices later when I have some more time:

Haruhi in Wonderland
Roger the Wanderer
Execution
The One Who Brings the World Revolution