Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Good round.

The Doctor's Disease
Silence
Gohan & Trunks
Cold Hands
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

LumRanmaYasha

The Future of Trunks
Silence
Cold Hands
The Doctor's Disease

Spoiler

The Future of Trunks - Since I watched it in japanese last time, I decided I'd watch it in english this time. I actually find it more fun in english, mainly because of the rewritten dialogue they give 17 and 18 that make them bicker and act childish, which is often really funny. The dub loses the nuances of how messed up Gohan is mentally, but otherwise retains most of the dark tone and Trunks' character arc intact (except he has more of preoccupation with the fact the Androids have killed children for some reason). Either way, I'm evaluating both versions when I put it first in my rankings for this match.

Death Note #25 is brilliantly directed, giving an ominous and tense vibe the entire episode building up to L's death. The tension between Light and L certainly heightens matters, though the scene where L is washing Light's foot kinda breaks that by being unintentionally hilarious. The anime really liked to play up the homoerotic tension between Light and L didn't it?

Higurashi #20 is a great piece of Shion's villainous character arc showing her go further off the deep end with a plan hinged on confirmation bias and willing to torture and murder a little girl to get what she wants. I've said before how much I love Rika's fuck you to her, but that entire scene where she's in Shion's home and her suicide are really what make this episode.

YYH #73 is a good set-up episode for the Doctor fight presenting Yusuke and co. with a mystery they need to solve in a time crunch or else their friends will die. The crux of the episode falls on Kido to do the only real thing he'll contribute to the series, but I really like how he figures out how to use his shadow powers in a way to let Yusuke know who Doctor is despite not being able to speak.
[close]

I'll wrap this match up later tonight. So Avaitor, GSF, Vlord, you guys and anyone else who wants to vote still has a few more hours to do so.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

The Doctor's Disease
The Future of Trunks
Silence
Cold Hands

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni #20: "Cold Hands (Chapter: Eye Opening, Part 5)" - 9
Yu Yu Hakusho #73: "The Doctor's Disease" - 16
Death Note #25: "Silence" - 13
Dragon Ball Z TV Special: "Defiance in the Face of Despair!! The Remaining Super-Warriors: Gohan and Trunks" - 12

"The Doctor's Disease" and "Silence" move on to round 3! The next match will be up shortly.

Spark Of Spirit

Rem Saverem
Continuing Day By Day
Ballad of Fallen Angels
The Moonlight Sonata Murder Case
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

LumRanmaYasha

Ballad of Fallen Angels
Rem Saverem
Continuing Day By Day

Spoiler

DC #11 is perhaps the episode of the series I've rewatched the most over the years. I really love the setting and mystery behind this one, and the chilling use of Moonlight Sonata and that ending where Simon plays the piano as he burns to death in his father's mansion and all Conan and Rachel can do is watch. This is one of the most important Conan cases since this is the first time Conan couldn't bring the criminal to justice or save someone after knowing who committed the crime, making him vow to never let this happen again.

CB #5 is perhaps one of the most perfect anime episodes, and that entire scene in the chapel and the framing of Spike's past are some of the best directed scenes in animation period.

Trigun #17 is a chilling revelation into what happened on SEEDS and how twisted Knives became because of being treated as non-human and taught a survival of the fittest mentality.

FMP: TSR #13 is a satisfying conclusion to Sosuke's character arc of self-doubt, finally coming to realize who he is and what he really wants out of his life.
[close]

VLordGTZ

Continuing Day By Day
Rem Saverem
Ballad of Fallen Angels

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Cowboy Bebop #5:  "Ballad of Fallen Angels" - 10
Detective Conan #11: "The Moonlight Sonata Murder Case" - 11
Trigun #17: "Rem Saverem" - 16
Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid #13: "The Continuing Day By Day" - 13

"Rem Saverem" and "The Continuing Day By Day" move on to round 3! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha