The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 22, 2017, 12:39:29 PM
You know, to be fair, you kind of have to expect that some people just haven't been able to get around to one of your favorite shows yet, and no matter how good an episode I, it probably won't resonate with someone as much when seen out of context (the same applies to almost every episode in this entire competition).

The same has happened with various stuff that I like in both this and other competition threads, as well. Perhaps this is like my indirect form of revenge. ;)

In all seriousness, though, me ranking it last us not a slight on it or UY as a whole at all. It's just that currently I have a much stronger connection with the other three episodes since I have seen each of those shows in full multiple times, whereas UY is still on my extremely long backlog of stuff to get around to eventually.

I wasn't being serious.  :sweat: These are all great episodes and I knew going into this match most people were going to place UY last because they were more familiar and have spent more time with the other shows. But since I love that episode so much and I knew no one else connects with it the way I do I couldn't help but write my explanation for why I put it first in the form of a rant about no one but me understanding it's greatness. :D

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 22, 2017, 12:51:15 PM
Really? I'm pretty sure I voted it last out of spite.

:whuh: :il_rope:

LumRanmaYasha

The winners of this match are clear and pretty much everyone voted so...

Results:

Yu Yu Hakusho #74: "Sleep, Doctor, Sleep" - 18
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid #5: "Beautiful Sicily" - 9
Urusei Yatsura #157: "Darling, I Love Your Kindness" - 8
Cowboy Bebop #26: "The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)" - 15

"Sleep, Doctor, Sleep" and "The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)" move on to round 3! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

"Hello, World!"
"Wedding Bells for Kozue! Is Godai's Love Eternal?!"
"Land of Adults -Natural Right-"
"Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"

Spoiler

BBB #12 is a stunning epic of an episode. Every frame and line of dialogue has a purpose and/or meaning and not a second is wasted. It brings Leo, Black, and White's arcs to a close by making the case to keep living despite hardship and to fight to protect the lives of those you care about. There's way more to the episode than that but even having seen this episode a half a dozen times I still don't think I can dissect everything in it. It's just very satisfying and enthralling beginning to end, and a self-contained wonder of an example of post-millenial anime.

MI #92 is the episode that means the most to me in this match, being the emotional climax of the series, where Godai finally confesses his love to Kyoko and breaks things off with Kozue and everyone has so much more clarity about their feelings for one another. It tugs at the heart-strings and Godai's final reflections of what Kyoko means to him, while not quite as powerfully presented as the manga's version, is an amazing and iconic quote from the series that feels so true to real feelings about the people we love.

KJ #4 is a great backstory for Kino and presents a good exploration of what it means to be an adult and whether it's worth risking personal happiness for the sake of adulthood and community acceptance. Kino ultimately chooses she would rather live her life as herself, the way she wants to, doing the things she enjoys doing, and does begins her journey in the pursuit of personal liberation and finding herself. Kino's journey is ultimately self-reflective, as she's learning about herself as much as she learns about the places she visits and the people she meets, and this episode frames that idea brilliantly.

DC #76 is iconic, the first appearance of the Lupin to Conan's Zenigatta, Kaitou Kid, Conan's recurring and elusive rival. I've watched this episode dozens of times over the years, and while there are better Kaitou Kid outings, the first battle of wits between Conan and Kid holds a real soft spot in my heart as one of my favorite cases in the series.
[close]

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

"Hello, World!"
"Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"

LumRanmaYasha

Spark? Avaitor? Dr. E-K? Are you guys going to vote on this match?

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

"Hello, World!"
"Conan vs. Kaitou Kid"
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Detective Conan #76: "Conan vs. Kaitou Kid" - 5
Maison Ikkoku #92: "Wedding Bells for Kozue! Is Godai's Love Eternal?!" - 14
Blood Blockade Battlefront #12: "Hello, World!" - 13
Kino's Journey #4: "Land of Adults -Natural Right-" - 8

"Wedding Bells for Kozue!" and "Hello, World!" move on to round 3! The next match will be up shortly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

VLordGTZ

Damn, this is a tough one.

"Osomatsu-kun Returns"
"The Last Command Spell"
"Zero × And × Rose"
"Kurama's Anger, Gourmet's Guest"

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/